Best Dulwich/Denmark Hill schools

KJ133

Our son starts primary school in Sept 23 so we have started to tour the local schools. We've shortlisted The Belham, Lyndhust and Harris Primary but can't decide between the three. Very keen on the idea of forest schooling which The Belham and Lyndhurst both provide. Looking for any advice/recommendations from parents with children that currently attend these schools or if there are any other schools worth looking at? After viewing, I think we've decided against Dog Kennel Hill and Goose Green. Thanks in advance!

Our kids very happy at the Belham. Good teachers, good leadership, and I think it provides a really well-rounded education (learning, social, emotional, etc). Feel free to PM me. I think the ‘forest school’ is visiting the local parks (eg Lettsom gardens) once a week - which is really nice, but I don’t have the impression that it’s a major part of their identity etc - our kids wouldn’t say that they go to a forest school

Hi. We're also looking and have seen those schools. As such my opinion is only formed from the tours I've had. I was impressed by Bessemer Grange which is at the top of our list. I would recommend looking at it. With regards the Forest School they have their own nature garden and a proper jolly forester who comes in to work with the children. From what I've seen so far I think only Bessemer and Dog Kennel Hill provide forest school.

Our daughter is at Goose Green. She is thriving and so very happy there and has been for 5 years now. We love the sense of community and personal feel of the school thanks to the wonderful long standing and passionate staff. No forest school but there are so many other plus points. For us, a big factor is that its 2 form entry rather than 3, and the focus on music & arts.

Both my kids (now years 9 and 7) were at Bessemer for their whole primary years. We loved the school. Lots of outdoor space for a London school -4 different playground with only 2 year groups per playground. And their own Nature Garden where the children have lessons. A brilliant, diverse community. Would definitely recommend. And an extra plus is that it isn’t near any busy roads…

All the schools round here tend to get good reports, but I can also give a big thumbs-up for Bessemer Grange. Both our kids have gone there and had an excellent experience.

The facilities are great; Early Years classrooms have their own little courtyards they can have lessons in when the weather allows. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned it being a forest school as such but it does have a lovely nature garden and they keep chickens. The school backs on to the playing fields of JAGS which the BG children are allowed to use.

I would start by checking out the furthest distance from places offered last year. I am not sure any home in East Dulwich would be in the 'catchment' for both Harris Primary and Lyndhurst, but demand for places may have fallen significantly, so this could potentially be the case. Likewise, the previously miniscule catchment for Belham may have increased. If I were you, I would go with your gut feel and list your preferred schools in the order you liked most. Then fill your other spaces with three very local other schools Lots of people here have commented on Bessemer, so you should consider this too as well as one or two of your less favoured schools as at least they are local. Remember, these are not choices. They are preferences, and you will be offered the school which is highest on your list that fits within their admissions criteria.

We’ve really liked Lyndhurst, it’s great. It would be worth checking if you live within the last distance offered to these schools in previous years. Plus, living a short walking distance to your child’s primary school is a huge plus. There are a lot of school runs to cover over the years. It’s also helpful if some of your neighbours kids go to the same school in case you need to share pick ups and for easy play dates etc.

Our son is at The Belham and we think it’s a really good school. The range of extracurricular activities is excellent, although I don’t know how it compares to the other schools you’ve listed. There is a real community around the school and the staff are by and large great.

I’d echo what others have said about proximity being important. We like that all of our sons friends are within a 10 minute walk and he can get to 3 of them without crossing a road. Being able to go from home, to drop off and back home to start work (or get to the train station) within 15 minutes is also a big plus.

I believe that even the popular schools are under subscribed as the baby boom ended and post COVID and Brexit reductions in young families in London, but it is worth checking with the schools.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for your useful replies, much appreciated. Every school we have visited has reiterated that due to COVID, Brexit and the huge decline in births over the past years (SE London especially) that it really is a 'buyers market' for school places this year. Southwark alone currently has 1000 empty reception spaces with many schools looking to drop to a 1 form entry in 2023 if there are not enough children to fill 2 classrooms, hence catchment areas this year will be bigger than previous years. I guess this is lucky for us in a way but there are so many good schools in the area that it all becomes a little overwhelming! The Belham and Lyndhurst are both equidistance for us and we like them both so would be happy with either. Great to hear good feedback for both - thank you!