-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes - and St. Andrews (note the s) is what - and

> what is sung there?

It's the national day of Scotland

It's Birmingham City's football ground

It's a golf course

It's probably the name of numerous churches/cathedrals

And I'm still none the wiser!

I've only been once when they knocked Stevenage out of the FA Cup many moons ago, and can't recall any songs (or atmosphere).

T'Interweb has scant info, but apparently "shit on the villa" is popular, but the lyrical content was meagre and repetitious.

World War 2 classic Keep Right on to the End of the Road, doesn't seem to have anything that matches the clues.

Aquarius moon is correct. The small drink referred to is a "wee deoch an doris" which along with "keep right on till the end of the road" (the anthen of Birmingham City FC) were Harry Lauder's biggest hits. The very crooked thing was his walking stick which he was often pictured with.

I was looking for a fictional character rather than a real person, hence the confusion!

In the end I typed in 'gaelic drinking songs' which led me to the song above & found out it was written by the same 'Harry Lauder' who wrote the Birmingham FC song.

So I finally made the connection!

I'll be back with my first clue in the morning.

Sorry - in fact "Harry Lauder" was more of an invented character than a real real person - Henry lauder (his real name) always appeared in the character and dress of an irascible wise-cracking scotsman with exagerated scots accent and mannerisms .