Support Great Exhibition against 'Turning Point UK' protesters - 10th March 11am

The team at the Great Exhibition is proud to serve the amazing community of East Dulwich. We are here to ensure that your local pub is at all times a safe, warm and fun place to visit and that everyone is always made to feel welcome.

It has been brought to our attention that a group calling themselves Turning Point UK are intending to carry out a protest at the Great Exhibition on Friday 10th March at 11am. They appear to be opposing our Drag Storytime event for the under 5s, an event that took place in July 2022.

Whilst the event was a huge success last year and brought great joy to parents and children alike, there is no event booked at the Great Exhibition next Friday, nor has there ever been. However, we remain committed to offering events at this pub that are magical, fun, inclusive and appropriate.

We would like to assure all our customers that we are committed to comfort, safety and inclusivity at all times. Next Friday lunchtime is no exception. We thank you for your constant support of the Great Exhibition and for allowing us to make such a rich and varied contribution to community life in East Dulwich. We love you all.

• Administrator

The discussion has gone completely off-topic and has become a complete minefield to moderate. I have split the thread at the point where it started to go off-topic.

UPDATE: I've now reopened the thread, but I will be moderating and removing any posts which go off-topic. Please keep all political and sociological discussion to the News, Politics & Current Affairs board.

Protesting at 11am on a cold rainy weekday in March seems odd. Maybe they are afraid of doing it on a weekend in case they get outnumbered like they were in Honor Oak.

I’ll happily pop over and support a local business by buying a few diet cokes.

Protesting at 11am on a cold rainy weekday in March seems odd. Maybe they are afraid of doing it on a weekend in case they get outnumbered like they were in Honor Oak.

What happened in Honor Oak?

What happened in Honor Oak?

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4750993-anyone-know-the-truth-about-the-protests-against-drag-storytime-at-the-honor-oak-pub

The reason the protest is on today at 11am is because there was an event booked which the pub have cancelled. There's another similar event (Drag bingo for under 1s) booked for Wednesday 5th April 2 - 4pm according to the Great Exhibition website

clipeventMarch2023.thumb.jpeg.3d8d8fd5adc6463b7e301ca79c90847e.jpeg

The counter demonstrators were larger in number than the original protesters and shouted (with free F words, folks) “this is what a community looks like” which isn’t correct because a community isn’t a members’ club with rules and admission criteria. A community is made of all sorts. If they (or anyone else) are truly community minded, much better to spend their time picking up litter, checking on neighbours, donating to local charities, communicating with local councillors, using their local library, volunteering, etc. Chanting slogans (which likely takes even more time to practise) for hours on end really doesn’t help your fellow citizen, but it does give you a nice, warm glow on such a wintery day. 👍