Controling Nausea

Hi all,

I need some advice in dealing with first trimester nausea and sickness. My first pregnancy didn't seem to affect me as badly - I feel sick throughout the day and in the evenings in particular. I am struggling keeping up with work and toddler and just feel miserable most of the time. :(

Any advice on remedies? Thanks in advance!

I second travel bands. I also tried acupuncture and I found taking the supplement floradix helped with the tiredness as had a poor diet with the nausea. Also was told to eat as soon as I woke up before even leaving my bed so either take crackers up with you or have breakfast bought up to you!!

you poor thing. I found that the nausea was worse when I was tired, so really really try to keep life to the bare minimum for the next few months. I also found that going for a walk in the park helped a lot. to be honest, i found nothing really could stop the nausea but it was definitely worse if I overdid it a bit. just hang in there as these months will pass!

Travel bands helped me a bit, also avoiding public transport where possible. I found nibbling on rice cakes as often as I could manage was good too. You have my sympathy preg related sickness is awful and it was so much worse in my 2nd pregnancy with toddler in tow! Hope you feel better soon.

I have just come out of this. I couldn't believe how much worse I felt the second time round and the constancy of it really got me down. I agree, tiredness makes it worse so go to bed as soon as your other child is down if you can, even a few nights a week will help. I found buying some dinner to eat on the commute home from work really helped as this was peak sickness time and gave me some energy for the bedtime routine, then I could go to bed straight after. Obviously the housework etc suffered but who cares?!

I think the foods that help you really differ with the individual so just eat small amounts of whatever doesn't make you gag every few hours through the day. Easier said than done with a snack pinching toddler in tow! Best of luck. Hope it passes soon. X

Thank you all for the advice! I will def try ginger. I do try and snack, but often even the idea of eating is enough to make me gag...

On the other hand, most foods I can currently stomach are quite junky, as green veg in particular seem to be my enemy. Lemon and lemonade do help a little.

I just hope its over soon! First time went till about 14 weeks, so not long to go if the same...

I second a cracker in bed before you get up and try travel bands. Those Preggy pop sweets were good also (although glucose sweets would probably do the same job).

Good luck, is v grim especially cooking your toddlers food... Blerghh my daughter ate a lot of kids ready meals at this point ;-)

I had it for 38w and the only thing that helped me was sucking on fruity polos and callipos - both obv temporary measures as once the lollie or ice lollie is gone the nausea is back but having a couple of minutes break from the vomiting / nausea is like heaven!, give it a try, you have nothing to lose.. x

Ah, its hard isn't it. I haven't had it during pregnancy but due to medical conditions I have constant severe nausea for up to 5/6 months at a time. I've tried a lot of stuff to no avail, natural and medical.

Another option is mint, either fresh mint leaves boiled in water and drank when cooled or mint tea cooled. With ginger the ginger has to physically be present not just the flavour, a lot of ales don't actually contain ginger so read labels if you try that method. Crystallised ginger is meant to be good.

I must say I think the one key to controlling nausea in pregnancy is giving in to ALL your cravings no matter what it is, whenever I had any nausea it was usually down to cravings whether I actually knew it or not.

My sympathies! I also felt sick as a dog during both pregnancies. Ginger helped, and crackers. I also ate a lot of junk food. And I think having protein like ham helped.

There is an acupressure point you can find yourself - if you search on youtube for acupuncture points for nausea you may find some useful videos on how to find the point. It's on your inner wrist, between the tendons, about 2 fingers width from your wrist joint. I found it helped to just press on this point for a temporary relief from the nausea.

Eat regularly and sleep as much as you can. I'd like to say this got me through it, but only the fact i had no choice got me through it. I had a packet of choc biscuits next to the bed (and still carry them everywhere) and had to eat before I did anything else. I learnt the hard way by wretching my way to work and throwing up in my car at traffic lights. My stomach turned at the strangest things - washing up water (thank you husband for taking that on), the smell of my car when i first got into it, vegetables (i had a very healthy diet before this) and pretty much lived for 18 weeks on mashed potato, cheese and strawberry milkshake (which now turns my stomach. Simple pizza also seemed to stay down, but could only eat tiny amounts of anything, regularly. It really was a case of feed the nausea.

On the more hardcore pharmaceutical front, cyclizine, domperidone, and odansetron are all used in pregnancy to control nausea and vomiting that is limiting your ability to cope with day to day life.

I hope you find something that works. It's really miserable but it will pass.

I always found that no matter how ill I felt, if I craved something I would go with the craving. There were certain things I couldn't go near, like others vegetables were a stomach turner (particularly broccoli, I couldn't even cut it up ready for the pot let alone eat it).

Pregnancy 1 I lived for 4 months on salt and vinegar crisps and KFC Zinger burgers (as I was working in the weight loss industry at the time I used to drive for miles to ensure I wasn't spotted at KFC!)

#2 crisps

#3 raspberries, fried eggs (runny yolk, not ideal) and cheese and onion sandwiches!

I tried "Preggie Pops" in my 1st pregnancy but couldn't stomach them at all. Chewing mint gum helped a bit. Thankfully it will pass eventually, good luck!

Pickle, that makes me feel better. I mainly crave burgers, things with mash and runny eggs!

My husband read the thread and bought most things recommended on here, so fingers crossed!

Thanks again for the wishes! No more pregnancies for me, i think!