Finding a nanny?

Hi all,

I come to the EDF looking for advice on childcare. My LO is near 8 months and I am due to go back to work in October (just before she turns a year old). We were decided on sending her to nursery (we have her place and were due to start early September), but after a lot of introspection and discussions about the reality of our jobs, we've realised that we should really consider having a nanny. Getting back easily for a 6pm pick-up is going to be next to impossible on a daily basis and is likely to lead to really stressed out parents, feelings of inadequacy all-around and many anxious clock-watching moments - all of which will inevitably impact on our daughter I'm sure. While getting a nanny will seriously stretch our budget, I think this is the only option (we considered an au-pair, but don't want to have someone living with us).

We've clearly left it very late, so I would be very grateful for any advice and pointers to help us on our way in finding a live-out nanny. I'm researching myself, but personal experience from forumites will be invaluable.

1. Would you recommend going through an agency or advertising on the forum (we live in Honor Oak Park) for a nanny?

2. What are the key things you would recommend looking for in a nanny in terms of personality, experience, approach etc.?

3. What are the things I can ask her (or him) to do apart from child care - would cooking for my LO etc. be things I can ask about at least?

4. What is a reasonable salary for a live-out nanny working about 11 hours a day (I think 8:30 to 7:30 would be what we would like, though we'd hopefully often be home sooner)? You can PM me on this if you prefer!

5. Apart from following up on references, do you also expect other qualifications?

6. Is there a website/service where you can get contracts, information on the legal obligations and statutory requirements etc. if we didn't go through an agency?

7. Anything else that I've not thought about at all?!

Any advice, thoughts, experiences etc. are very gratefully received.

thank you!

Dev

Thanks Lorraine - I'll follow up with them.

Just a query to all - is the cost of a nanny really in the region of ?38000+ gross???? I was under the impression that it was more like ?28000. I may have to reconsider my job!!

Dev

Yes, for an experienced nanny working 55 hours a week, then yes. 38K per annum is about 10 net an hour which is on the high end for one child but not unheard of. You can get a nanny for less than that though. It really depends on how much experience you require. A nanny share might work better for you.

simplychildcare.co.uk is a good resource as well and they are based locally. They will happily discuss things over the phone as well. You can purchase a good pack through them which guides you through contracts, nannytax etc.

My advice would be always, always check references before you make an offer. Ask if you can phone references, do not rely on written letters. The two can, interestingly, be quite different.

Another option would be to take the nursery place, but just employ someone for a couple of hours to pick up after nursery. Sometimes you can employ the nursery staff separately to do this - I have done this in the past but you need to clear it with the owner first, I would suggest.

Good luck.

devsdev Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 1. Would you recommend going through an agency or

> advertising on the forum (we live in Honor Oak

> Park) for a nanny?

We found our wonderful nanny through the forum. I don't see much value in what an agency can offer in this market - lots of nannies looking for jobs privately so no shortage of candidates. It's easy to get paper works done (eg CRB checks) and I'm too much of a control freak to leave it to an agency! Plus they are very expensive of course.

> 2. What are the key things you would recommend

> looking for in a nanny in terms of personality,

> experience, approach etc.?

Experience is obviously important, circumstances if previous jobs ending, etc.

Also chat about views on routine vs. baby-led, what sort of activities the nanny would plan to do, any relevant education or qualification, views on TV.

> 3. What are the things I can ask her (or him) to

> do apart from child care - would cooking for my LO

> etc. be things I can ask about at least?

I think this depends on pay and circumstances but all the nannies I know do the cooking for the kids, and our nanny also does the kids' laundry. Some nannies also have the kids bathed before mum and dad are home (I personally like bath time so not something we have talked about). Our nanny also dresses the kids in the morning.

> 4. What is a reasonable salary for a live-out

> nanny working about 11 hours a day (I think 8:30

> to 7:30 would be what we would like, though we'd

> hopefully often be home sooner)? You can PM me on

> this if you prefer!

Will PM you.

> 5. Apart from following up on references, do you

> also expect other qualifications?

Depends what you want. I think a lot of nannies have relevant NVQs etc. Our nanny is Montessori qualified for instance.

>

> 6. Is there a website/service where you can get

> contracts, information on the legal obligations

> and statutory requirements etc. if we didn't go

> through an agency?

Simply childcare was really helpful when we were setting up a contract etc. we use Nanny PAYE for payroll and tax and they are always really helpful in giving you advice on legal matters.

> 7. Anything else that I've not thought about at

> all?!

>

> Any advice, thoughts, experiences etc. are very

> gratefully received.

>

> thank you!

> Dev

Thank you all for your advice and insight - I really appreciate it. We considered having an au-pair or someone from nursery to do a drop off, but this doesn't cover off the other problematic point of what we do if LO is unwell (which apparently is very often when they first join nursery!).

Going to discuss everything with my husband, but think we shall advertise on EDF and take it from there. Seems like we have a decent amount of time (as opposed to the nursery scenario where you needed to book a year+ in advance!) for the process and if EDF route doesn't work out then we will look at agency options.

Thank you again and any other advice, experience, comments will be gratefully received at any time!

Dev