Children welcome here?

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Victoria Inn (during the day) is very baby/child

> friendly.

Seconded. The right hand bar is basically a family area and they even have a separate playroom with a camera for parental lushes to keep an eye!

The Monty less so (more the dog crowd).

Also both Peckham and Dulwich Park cafes are very child friendly, have good menus for kids and a few toys/books, plus being in a park the option the escape quickly if all goes pear-shaped. The Bishop is good - lots of space and they do discounts for people eating with kids, ask about their Mum's the word cards. The fish & chip place in the same strip as Aneto is great too - staff were really friendly and helpful when I went in on an unplanned lunch with my two in the summer.

My Sunday lunch in a local pub was spoiled yesterday by parents that did not control their kids. Kids were screaming and shouting, running and jumping around tables, and throwing pub board games all over. One set of diners moved table. Give me kid unfriendly all the time until selfish parents can control kids crap behaviour.

The Victoria Inn in Peckham Rye does nice food and has a playroom attached with a huge TV screen so you can see the children in the play area. They are allowed in the pub too and there is stuff for them to do! food is quite nice and they do children's portions of everything

unlurked Wrote:

> My Sunday lunch in a local pub was spoiled

> yesterday by parents that did not control their

> kids. Kids were screaming and shouting, running

> and jumping around tables, and throwing pub board

> games all over. One set of diners moved table.

> Give me kid unfriendly all the time until selfish

> parents can control kids crap behaviour.

xxxxxxx

Which pub?? And why didn't the staff do anything??

Sue Wrote:

> unlurked Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > My Sunday lunch in a local pub was spoiled

> > yesterday by parents that did not control their

> > kids. Kids were screaming and shouting, running

> > and jumping around tables, and throwing pub

> board

> > games all over. One set of diners moved table.

> > Give me kid unfriendly all the time until

> selfish

> > parents can control kids crap behaviour.

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Which pub?? And why didn't the staff do anything??

The staff didn't do anything 'cos they are scared to have the establishment labelled as kid unfriendly on local forums is my guess. Or they can't be botherd as they're on min' wage if that. I did not name the pub as didn't want the forum PC police trying to pick a fight. It wasn't the Ivyhouse Sue!

Gosh, these discussions become so polarised so quickly.

I think there is a middle ground. In my birth family, most of us grew up in a Mediterranean country. It's true that children are generally regarded with more affection and tolerance, but that's not the same thing as total indulgence. It seems to me that children elsewhere in Europe learn social skills by being better integrated into a wider social network that most children here. Having brought up (well still in the process) four children in the UK, I think there is a slightly contradictory attitude to children. They seem to be simultaneously sentimentalised and over-indulged, judged and disliked. The same goes for how parents, esp mothers, are regarded, come to think of it.

I think some adults regard children as little more than human mosquitos: irritants to be swatted out of the way. There are others who sail blithely through the streets (and shops) of SE22 with their children on scooters, regardless of how crowded the area, leaving everyone else to step aside. There's a middle ground between the two. Children have every right to be present in most places at most times. Within that, they need to learn, at an age-appropriate rate, how to be a social animal, how to behave generally and also in public. Parents who allow their children to run amok aren't doing them any favours. Equally, everyone could do with taking a deep breath before jumping to conclusions and passing judgements on parents' and children's behaviour. Are you sure the 'unruly' child you see doesn't have ADHD? When you glare at my child for swearing, does it cross your mind that he might have Tourette's? (Yes, he does.)

You started out ok, medusa but then lost it. There were 3 horrid kids,and i don't suppose they were all afflicted with something to justify lack of good parenting. Do you suppose the parents thought that there maybe a diner that was somehow disabled and that there kids were causing a problem? Or any other possible mental health illnesses of other diners?! If parents cant control the kids then maybe they shouldn't take them out. Anyway, won't be eating there again and so vote with my feet.

Good post Medusa - everyone needs a little more tolerance and a little more respect (tolerance from those observing the children, respect from those who have them and need to ensure they behave well). The trouble is, we tend to notice the kids behaving badly (just a few) and overlook the dozens who do behave well.

It's really nice to go out with kids to the pub for a meal but you have to respect everyone else. We go, order quickly, eat, maybe have a game of Scrabble and go. That's about enough time before boredom sets in. Children would generally prefer to be climbing trees or kicking a ball than sitting around in a boozer.

Agree with what's been said on here about Duck Egg Cafe. I haven't been back in the last 2 months, but when my partner and I went with our two friends we had to cancel our breakfast and leave after about 15 minutes. I think everywhere should welcome children, but the volume in there was unbelieveable. Perhaps it has more to do with the accoustics, but we had to leave.

Otherwise I think most places are great. All the pubs let in kids who seem happy enough to be there, and there are plenty of parks and open spaces. I think the options for entertaining kids in the area are great. Imagine all the other places you could be..!

I think its very important to ensure the kids are occupied with various food options whilst you are out for lunch - ordering food at the right time so that they are not being made to wait is important - and when their meal is over they get restless - then its time to pay the bill and leave.

I think caf? rouge is underrated and good for children as its does reasonably good kids food options, plus desert and provides colouring etc to keep them focussed on something.

Gails bakery does babychinos for 50p and they like those.

I find keep them interested and you won't have a problem.