Royal Mail Late Deliveries and the price we have to pay

22 hours ago, scrawford said:

I talked to a reporter from Southwark News. Seems Helen Hayes will speak to the Royal Mail again….

https://southwarknews.co.uk/area/dulwich/east-dulwich-residents-say-postal-service-is-still-bad-despite-royal-mail-taking-on-more-staff/

What is the Royal Mail referring to in relation to their comment below? Return to work - from what, or am I missing something?

To support the health of our employees and assist them in their return to work, we have introduced a wellbeing programme which provides colleagues with free, confidential, and independent healthcare support, including unlimited 24/7 access to an online GP.

No only do we only get post about once a week, with overdue appointments etc that everyone's mentioned, but I've lost count of the number of  wrong addresses we get delivered. I sometimes think I do more deliveries than the postman.

Also, they can't be bothered, it seems, to use our letterbox and just leave everything in the porch. Bank statements, cards and so on just left there for anyone to try their hand at identity fraud

12 minutes ago, Lynne said:

No only do we only get post about once a week, with overdue appointments etc that everyone's mentioned, but I've lost count of the number of  wrong addresses we get delivered. I sometimes think I do more deliveries than the postman.

Also, they can't be bothered, it seems, to use our letterbox and just leave everything in the porch. Bank statements, cards and so on just left there for anyone to try their hand at identity fraud

That’s terrible. Have you taken pictures of this post and made a complaint and copied in your MP?  

• 2 weeks later...

A delivery once a week would be incredible at this point in time....We haven't received any post in over 4 weeks.

When stuff has finally arrived, it's weeks sand sometimes months late. The postie cant be arsed to stick it through the letter box and leaves it outside despite us being in. Or when they do decide to pop something through the door...its a bunch of letters for other houses.

Has anyone tried going to the sorting office in Peckham or would I be wasting my time?

4 minutes ago, Sit Ubu Sit said:

A delivery once a week would be incredible at this point in time....We haven't received any post in over 4 weeks.

When stuff has finally arrived, it's weeks sand sometimes months late. The postie cant be arsed to stick it through the letter box and leaves it outside despite us being in. Or when they do decide to pop something through the door...its a bunch of letters for other houses.

Has anyone tried going to the sorting office in Peckham or would I be wasting my time?

Probably a better bet would be to make a   complaint to  Royal Mail centrally, and copy it to Helen Hayes to add to her mass of evidence?

I can't see complaining to Peckham making any difference, as it seems to be seriously badly managed,  but you could try. 

5 minutes ago, Sue said:

Probably a better bet would be to make a   complaint to  Royal Mail centrally, and copy it to Helen Hayes to add to her mass of evidence?

I can't see complaining to Peckham making any difference, as it seems to be seriously badly managed,  but you could try. 

Thanks for the tip Sue.

Unbelievably, I got a letter for a medical appointment which had been posted only three days previously 😮

I had told them not to bother sending a letter as it would not arrive for weeks!

It has arrived before the date of my appointment at the end of the month! Amazing!

I dread to think what Black Friday deliveries and Christmas are going to do to the current situation. Do you think a petition or a catalogue of all the problems experienced by lots of residents would have more impact? At the moment there are lots of single complaints but probably an awful lot more people who are just putting up with it. Would it help to expose the scale of the problem do you think?

Actually I’ve found a petition on change.org from early 2022, set up by David Brady, so this has been tried before. Maybe it’s time to revive that petition? https://www.change.org/p/residents-of-east-dulwich-fix-the-broken-postal-service-in-east-dulwich?source_location=search

Edited by edanna

Credit where it's due time:

I waited in all day for a package  which didn't arrive. It was an order from Amazon. 

Then I got a notification from Amazon (I think) that Royal Mail had "attempted delivery at 17.49" (can't remember the exact wording) and that I would have to collect it from "East Dulwich DO" (i.e. the delivery office which no longer exists).

No delivery had been attempted at 17.49, at least not to my door. There was no way I was going to trek down to Peckham!

I had no idea Amazon used other couriers, but their website has a list of them all, with their customer service numbers.

I phoned Royal Mail customer service the next day, and I absolutely cannot fault the guy who dealt with this. He said they didn't usually have complaints with deliveries for Amazon.

He was really polite, really concerned, he looked up the tracking number, said yes there was clearly a problem, no delivery had actually been attempted to my house at all,  and there could be two possible reasons for that, which he explained.

He told me he would phone Peckham delivery office and find out what had happened, and depending on the outcome, either the package would be delivered to me that day or he would email me to let me know what the issue was and how it was going to be addressed (no pun intended).

That afternoon a rather disgruntled looking person who I think may have come out specially rang the bell and handed over the package (which had a 24 hour tracked label on it - this seems to mean nothing these days).

So although it was annoying to have waited in for something which never arrived, I was mega impressed with the way my complaint was handled.

I gave the guy five stars in Royal Mail's follow up survey. Pity he isn't managing the Peckham office!

We have had parcels left on walls of properties ten houses away (that were brought to us by the person in that house).

Parcel delivery used to be reliable but now seems to be starting to wobble, parcels routinely turning up a day or two after they say they will arrive.

i have also noticed the post box on Woodwarde has been taped over and is now out of use with people being directed to the one on Beauval or Eynella. Is this a one off or something being seen elsewhere as well?