Royal Mail Late Deliveries and the price we have to pay

14 hours ago, sandyman said:

I think the problem is largely to do with deliveries to addresses in East Dulwich, not collections in East Dulwich of letters going elsewhere. In fact just to test this out I'm going to post my Christmas cards in the morning to friends all over UK and at the same time i'm going to pop a card in the same letterbox, which I can see from my lounge, to myself. It'll be interesting to see which arrives first...the one from SE22 to Edinburgh or the one from SE22 to SE22...

You will 100% get the card in time for Chtistmas, just not sure which Christmas 🫣

On 27/12/2023 at 11:22, Lynne said:

This year has been a lot better. We've received almost all the cards we expected, which, compared to the previous two years when we were still getting cards in February, has pleasantly surprised me

yes, i did find that the card i posted to myself arrived at the same time as the cards i sent to north london, but i'm not going to praise RM for delivering the service we pay for. 

Just been outside to discover a parcel delivered by Royal Mail tucked slightly out of view under my bay window. It could have been there since before Christmas. The contents have been damaged by all the recent rain. No card through the door to alert us to this delivery. The person who sent it to me spent nearly £5.00 on that. So even if there has been an improvement this year (has there, really?) it's still a p*s* poor service imo. 

• 2 weeks later...

The delivery office in Peckham has been closed each time I visited over the past two days, despite supposedly being open 800-1900. Anyone know if there is a reason for that, or have I just been unlucky with my timings?

EDIT: Apparently it's only open 0800-1000 (10am that is), so ignore me.

Edited by Lordship_local

1 minute ago, jazzer said:

Lots of delivery offices have changed opening times from 08.00 - 10.00 M - F and 08.00 - 12.00 Sat, closed Sun.  

Thanks Jazzer - just saw that myself! I clearly didn't read the sign on the front when I went there...

They are actually delivering. At least to me. I've received Private Eye on the right day (first time in months) and a letter posted in York on Monday arrived on Tuesday, first time I reckon in well over a year, perhaps 2 that the first class post target was reached for me. 

Can't last! 

It's potentially going to get worse 

BBC News - Ofcom could allow Royal Mail to end Saturday post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68041937

Ofcom  are quoted as looking at how to  "evolve to more closely meet consumer needs" 

Most consumers now expect deliveries from courier companies 7 days a week not 5 and I am not sure how a 5 day a week, once a day (if you are lucky) is going to meet consumers needs.

Sounds like the postal service is in terminal decline and I fear we are watching its death throes over the next few years. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...