The best place for a sandwich in East Dulwich?

Katherty

On 13/10/2023 at 12:07, Underhook said:

Heritage Cheese on Calton Avenue by the village do good sandwiches. My lunchtime go to option. Not cheap but decent

Ok - so I thought I’d give your recommendation a go and boy do I not regret it! I got to choose my large piece of fresh herby focaccia and it was filled with generous slices of Gouda, lightly fried pieces of pancetta, fresh basil and small warm cubes of fresh tomatoes. Quite possibly the best sandwich I’ve had - It was meant to be for my lunch but I couldn’t wait! Definitely well worth paying that little bit extra for! Thanks for the great recommendation! I’d add a photo but I ate it all before thinking of taking one! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2023 at 12:07, Underhook said:

Heritage Cheese on Calton Avenue by the village do good sandwiches. My lunchtime go to option. Not cheap but decent

Heritage Cheese is excellent, with very friendly staff.

Just for goodness sake don't go to Au Ciel next door by mistake (or on purpose).

I don't know what on earth has happened to it, as their sign is still the same, but we had absolutely appalling service there recently - the staff didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing -  and then we  had to wait over half an hour for two paninis (they weren't busy).

I know it was over half an hour, because the order  time was on the receipt.

When we eventually asked where our paninis were, we were told (in a not very polite way) that other people were in front of us and their toasties had had to be done first.

Said toasties had been delivered long ago to tables next to ours. They had been eaten - and the toastie orderers had left - before we asked where our food was 🙄

We assumed that our order had just been forgotten 🙄

When finally our paninis arrived, there was no apology. They were ok, the fillings seemed fresh, but by that time we would have eaten anything.

The whole vibe of the place has changed. Chocolatier and patisserie, as their sign still says? No chocolates in evidence,  and a  few cheap and boring  looking cakes under glass, plus a generally uncared for feel.

Can anyone explain this descent into awfulness? A look at online reviews also shows a change from previous  glowing reviews to more recent  experiences like ours. 

We ate there because it was a bitterly cold day and we wanted to be inside, otherwise we would have got the famed sandwiches from Heritage Cheese!

Edited by Sue
Adding info