Charity to rescue very sick fox cub?

Saw a badly injured mangey fox cub surrounded by flies this morning in the Sexby garden at Peckham Rye Park. I just wondered if there was a charity who would either rescue it or put it out of its misery? Am certainly not a fan of the urban fox, but this poor little creature was obviously suffering.

I have searched the forum and the web for a telephone number for the park rangers but no joy.

Any ideas?

Try this thread

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,1101596,1116512#msg-1116512

i remember the OP of this thread had a similar issue, and she tried the RSPCA but found them to be unhelpful. I think the consensus was that there were a couple of small, local charities that were far more helpful.

Here's some relevant posts from the thread:

meduza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a sad situation, i wish i had seen this

> post....Putting your feelings aside, you should

> keep the RSPCA informed of any changes or not, to

> the situation.You are their eyes and ears. Also

> there is a small charity in Beckenham called the

> wildlife lodge.They are a small charity so please

> use your judgement well.If they cant help they

> will most certainly know someone that can.

> www.thewildlifelodge.co.uk

Also try: Willowildlfe.co.uk and The National Fox Welfare Society

Good luck I hope you find someone to help in time

Thanks for the messages and the pm. I have tried a couple of the numbers and, understandably enough, they won't come out unless someone is with the animal and has it in their sights. I think I really need to inform the park wardens but I am having difficulty finding a number! Will try the council ...

Yes I agree re calling the vet. The Neighbourhood Vet surgery across the road from the Rye seem to be very helpful in these situations. I believe they have taken in stray animals with a view to finding them homes. Obviously this wouldn't happen re a fox but they could at least put it out of its misery, which I doubt that the park manager would do. Hopefully the park manager will take it to the surgery, but as tomskip advises the park manager is aware of the fox why hasn't something been done about it already. I know foxes get a bad press, but I really hate to see any creature suffering.

I have emailed the Fox Project with the details and hopefully they will be able to assist. Have given them the park manager's number and the vet's number. I did try to phone their mobile ambulance service but that seems to no longer be in assistance. Let's hope somebody will do something to help the poor creature.

I guess I know how you feel as I about one hour ago I tripped over a something on my patio and you know what.... it was a very sick junior rat. It's still there and very thin and lethargic. I think it must have been poisoned. Please tell me how you get on with your fox cub as I think someone should help me out with this lovely little animal.

Should I call 111 or is it worth giving 999 a go?

I walked across the park this morning and saw the Community Warden - he had seen a dog attack the already damaged and sick fox in the Sexby Garden. He was waiting for the RSPCA to come collect. I doubt said fox is alive now. The RSPCA tend to put them down. It was pretty sick, said the CW (you often see this CW in the park on his bike. Nice guy, approachable, intelligent). The fox had only one eye and was in pretty bad shape.

(There is no sign anymore on the gates of the Sexby garden anymore requesting folk to put their dogs on leads.)

The fox managed to elude the warden while he was writing in his notebook so perhaps not quite at death's door.

Having seen the RSPCA trap a sick and injured fox in the park last year, I hope anyone attempting to catch this one tomorrow comes well equipped unless they are willing to sacrifice a few fingers. They aren't quite as cute and fluffy as they look!

The park warden and I have contacted the Wildlife centre in Chislehurst. I believe Eddie Williams from that centre is probably at the park now. He is very experienced in catching and treating sick animals, whether they be wildlife or domestic pets. He said he would come back to me and let me know what happened so I hope to post a message later. Apparently the Park Warden has been in touch with him in the past regarding sick animals so obviously we have a very caring park warden which is good to hear.

It frustrates me that 24 hours later the fox still hasn't been caught and transported to a vet (either to be treated or humanely put to sleep), in spite of the Parks Manager being made aware (not to be confused with the park warden, whom I know well). And to hear that a dog had since attacked it too is just unbearable. I just wish I'd seen this thread when it appeared. I would happily have gone and taken it to a rescue/ charity centre (no matter how far away). But given how populated that park is, it also dismays me that no-one else took matters into their own hands.

I hope Mr Williams finally gets some respite for the poor thing.

"It frustrates me that 24 hours later the fox still hasn't been caught and transported to a vet (either to be treated or humanely put to sleep), in spite of the Parks Manager being made aware (not to be confused with the park warden, whom I know well). And to hear that a dog had since attacked it too is just unbearable. I just wish I'd seen this thread when it appeared. I would happily have gone and taken it to a rescue/ charity centre (no matter how far away). But given how populated that park is, it also dismays me that no-one else took matters into their own hands.

I hope Mr Williams finally gets some respite for the poor thing."

Doesn't dismay me at all that no one else attended to the fox. Humanity today can hardly lift a finger to help another human being, never mind an animal.

IF THE FOX IS SITED AGAIN PLEASE MAIL ME AND I WILL COLLECT IT AND TAKE IT TO VET, ALL VETS HAVE A DUTY TO TREAT ANY WILDLIFE BROUGHT TO THEM. ALL THE SAME I AM SURE MOST WOULD JUST PUT IT DOWN, THAMESMEAD VETS ARE REALLY GREAT THEY TAKE CARE OF ALL ANIMALS.

How would you propose catching the fox? I'm afraid it didn't occur to me that this might be something I could manage. I felt I had done my bit by alerting the park manager (who said she already knew) and trying to find someone who would come out to it.