not-a-wedding reception venue?

We're getting married in November. Very small, immediate family only celebration.

HOWEVER...

I have an enormous family who I'm very close to but it was beyond our will and means to do anything actually on the day. We are going to have a drinks/snacks party in the New Year and we're just fixing the date, but I am clueless as to our options. I want it to be somewhere special, somewhere that'll tick the boxes for the rellies expectations (ok, they won't get to wear hats but hey it'll be a nice ambiance etc) but I can't afford somewhere too amazing. And frankly I don't want a massively formal place.

So what do you think, forumites? Not a 3rd class steerage, but without bells and whistles. Very happy to be local, or move further afield. Though I would think it has to be London, as most of the people I want to invite are here....

Would need somewhere I can bring own booze/food - OR come to an arrangement as to drinks and snacks....

I've counted 50.That's our max. (and that's only pretty much family, and a very few friends)

Is upstairs at the EDt still open! It used to be quite a nicely decorated space but I haven't been there on years!

We went to a wedding party like you describe, one nice thing they did was hang their wedding outfits in the wall, it looked lovely, and you could do a replica cake and bouquet to make it feel wedding-y.

St Faiths centre is a nice building and can bring in catering and drinks - we had our wedding reception there and was lovely. Like a smart church hall - not sure if that's what you're after. PM me if you want more details

Love the rivoli ballroom idea.

Horniman museum? They have the lovely glasshouse outside?

Dulwich gallery?

Do dulwich college hire out rooms?

There's a great space in Borough called the Jerwood Space which has lovely rooms and does weddings but I think also just hires space out.

Loads of pubs have rooms above which you don't necessarily have to use their catering for.

Also, when looking around/booking my top tip would be to describe your do as a 'family party' rather than anything associated with a wedding- the price goes up tenfold at the mention of the word!

South London Gallery has a lovely light filled room and courtyard (plus delicious food if you wanted to pay)

There used to be a space in Camberwell called The Perch or The Roost - old pub used for photoshoots and events etc, our friends married there with their own caterers and booze (served from real bar) but not sure if it's still operating. Think the Hackney one definitely is though. Don't say it's a wedding though! Doubles the price.

The Old Nuns Head also hosts wedding and private parties.

Or Beauberry House is nice and looks posh but I think has different hire options ...

I tried the Rivoli a couple of years ago to do something similar for friends who'd married in Australia but the answer was a firm Get Lost...

The Garden museum near Waterloo / Westminster is ace, not sure what the deal is with food and drink though.

Hi there,

You won't want a space that is too big for your numbers. A few suggestions:

Darby and Joan Club - Leigham Court Rd in Streatham.

Beauberry House - Gallery Road, Dulwich

Nice function rooms to hire above The Rosendale (Rosendale Rd, West Dulwich).

The Terrace at Dulwich Wood House.

Alleyn's Sports Club - Burbage Road, Herne Hill. Actually, Alleyn's school have a few options on and off-site to consider. Very flexible and reasonable prices.

The Francis Peek Centre - inside Dulwich Park, near the car park - unsure of time constraints.

Kingswood House, Dulwich. Located on the edge of a mixed tenure housing estate but don't let that put you off taking a look. Hidden gem. Fantastic grade II listed building with nice grounds at the rear for photos!

Best of luck!

Trafalgar tavern in Greenwich is lovely

The mermaid centre in blackfriers has a lovely room overlooking the river.

The RSA in temple has a great "party" space in the vaults below

There's an old music hall (wiltons) in shoreditch where you supply everything, its a blank canvas but a stunning space.

We went for a Thames boat for our drinks reception and it was really affordable -took own food/drink.

Horniman is really expensive.

Garden museum in Waterloo is lovely but can't remember the deal with food/drink.

Also looked around beauberry house which would be great for the size of your party but I do remember costs mounting when we priced it, though that was for the whole wedding shebang!

Also the Crypt in St Giles Church Camberwell is a great underground funcky reception. It's the same place that has the jazz sessions on a Friday night but you can hire it for a v reasonable sum on Saturday nights

http://www.stgilescamberwell.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:booking-the-crypt&catid=63:hiring-premises&Itemid=89

http://www.jazzlive.co.uk/Jazzlive/Home.html

Wwe had ours at The White Swan near Hatton Garden. As they are in the City, they only open at weekends for weddings and as such have a wedding/events co-ordinator Nadia who is amazing.

Everything about it was brilliant, food, wine, venue, atmosphere and it was really reasonable in terms of budget.

www.thewhiteswanlondon.com