I need a cheaper phoneline and broadband

Otta

BT sent us a letter this morning telling us that they are putting our monthly payment up from ?60 to ?85. I was already thinking I must look elsewhere when it was ?60, but now I am definitely moving on.

We have BT Vision, which is shit, and we never even turn it on. That could save us ?13 a monthy. The broadband is ?25 a month, and the phone (which we hardly use) costs a fortune.

So, who to go to, Virgin? Talk Talk??? Or is it worth looking in to broadband with a mobile network?

I need a phone line and unlimited* broadband. I'm not fussed about it being super fast.

* I don't actually know if I need unlimited, but I download a lot of stuff, so I'd need a fair bit.

I have found Plusnet good, you could investigate their current deals.

I have unlimited broadband and a phoneline with them, and I have found them reliable and with good customer service (not that I've needed it much).

I think they have some association with BT, not sure what though.

A look at forums relating to broadband shows most companies have their flaky monets

I dropped BT for EE a few months back ? fibre broadband, unlimited and phone calls (never use a landline tho?) - ?40 a month ? and not had a single problem so far (touch wood)

I'm with Virgin for broadband & phoneline only & it costs me around ?35 per month.

However, I only use the phone occasionally as It's cheaper to use my mobile. I'm on a free weekend call package

though, which is good if you phone landlines a lot.

I rarely have a problem with it breaking down, but I live in Nunhead, & I've noticed quite a few posts on here from

ED users, complaining about the service.

I'm with TalkTalk. Costs me about ?21/month - which includes the line rental, calls to all landlines at any time, international calls also included any time (to most countries), free calls to 0845.

Speed runs about 5-6Mb. Generous downloads.. Haven't checked if it's unlimited but I have regularly downloaded 50Gb+ over a few days from time to time with no trouble at all.

Had it for 7 years, no major outages.

So it's been good to us.. no complaints at all.

I switched to EE from BT Broadband about six months back. Have had no problems since, and it's cheap, which were the two things I was after. It's just standard broadband and free weekend and evening calls, but works fine for iPlayer, Netflix etc

You might to look at

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/

as you can find some intro deals here which can be hard to track down from the official providers.

I'm with BE for broadband and they've been very good, but they just recently got flogged off to Sky so how they'll be from now on is anyone's guess so based on that can't really recommend them at the moment.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A look at forums relating to broadband shows most

> companies have their flaky monets

>

xxxxxxx

They should look after their art better :))

We've been with Virgin (full broadband/TV/kandline package) since it was NTL and have invariably been delighted with their customer service.

Whenever there's been a problem they've always fallen over backwards to solve it, and manage to do so very quickly.

Maybe we've been lucky, but its just as good here as it was in Norwich.

I rang BT a few weeks ago whinging about the fact our block is the only one in the little estate that has not got Infinity, and the fact that the Broadband was sometimes stopping though to be fair it came back after tioatioa (turning it on and turning it off again!) We have phone telly (I disagree, I think BT Vision is fine though we don't watch a lot of telly) and broadband all with BT and a free VOIP line, with cheaper overseas costs when used.

I asked why I should not go with Sky. She cut my bill by ?8 a month and sent me the very latest new Hub. She could not answer why we haven't got Infinity, or when we will get it.

But that'll do me.

• 3 weeks later...

So, in the end, after 2.5 hours trying to get through to someone who could actually help me, I've stayed with BT because I couldn't be arsed dealing with anyone else.

Tuens out, much to my surprise, that call charges were sending my bills way high. We thought it was a phone we hardly use, but it turns out it's 15p to connect a call, and 12p a minute thereafter. WTF!?!?!? Apparently we'd used ?16 in calls since 13th July. So have opted for anytime calls for ?7 a month which has to be cheaper, and unlimited BT Infinity.

Have got rid of Vision because if you are an Infinity customer (which I am) and you have a smart TV (which I do), you can watch all the sport live for free on the new app.

Costing ?45 a month, not cheap, but still ?40 cheaper than they were going to be taking!

Hope that deal works out for you Otta.

I've just agreed in principle to pay my next door neighbour ?20 per month to access their broadband wifi.

So no phone line charges, also the basic Virgin TV is nothing special - I can catch-up via broadband what I 'need' to see. Losing BoxNation cable channel will be tough, but not life-threatening.