New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham - 2024 Edition

On 06/05/2024 at 20:17, Earl Aelfheah said:

There is a new community sauna with ice plunge baths, changing rooms, outdoor showers and hot drinks at Glengall Wharf Gardens.

where abouts is this exactly???

On 03/05/2024 at 09:47, Nigello said:

Why would anyone choose to go and eat on Rye Lane?

Because it's affordable and plenty of choice.

On 03/05/2024 at 09:47, Nigello said:

could be so much better (and lucrative) for all the valiant entrepreneurs if the council could take it upon itself to help this neglected (and poorer) area of the borough. 

It's a changing and will continue to do so. As with most areas going through the gentrification process it will be all about the night time economy meaning a saturation of drinking holes and ' cool and vibrant ' licensed eateries. Brixton mark 2. I think Covid slowed down the pace of change in the next ' up and coming ' areas and has given many prospective ventures itchy feet and pause for thought because there's less footfall and disposable cash than there was pre covid. Brixton for example is much quieter and visibly down on numbers in both bars and eateries. Across London clubs and music venues are dropping like flies.

It’s not gentrification to do a basic clean up and keep it so. It’s just bog-standard, base-level civility and respect. To deny that to the residents is wrong, especially if such lack of action is based on a desire to keep it “edgy” to attract drinkers, diners and shoppers, especially those with more money and/or come from outside the area. 

A welcome addition to Lordship Lane is Chi Chinese restaurant. Not sure it’s new anymore but we tried before and went on our third attempt yesterday so new to us. 

I think this will become a regular when we want Chinese. Though maybe not on a Friday/Saturday as they had space but we went somewhere else when they told us about the wait for food. 

We returned for lunch and will be back. The food was tasty. Although it wasn’t marked on the menu that I took in the Singapore noodles were spicy which isn’t always the case. Based on what we had I’d say if something should be spicy it probably will be. 

Portions were good and prices reasonable - 2 starters, a quarter duck, Singapore noodles and Jasmine tea for lunch for 2 = £67

What is opening next to the EDT where there was a clothes shop before iirc? Saw a license application in the window on the way past today.

Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2024 at 18:26, ArchieCarlos said:

A new bakery is opening in Herne Hill called Bunhead Bakery on Sunday. 

It’s on the side of Brockwell Park, at 145 Dulwich Rd

The website doesn’t say much but says they do sourdough with Palestinian flavours, which could be interesting. 

Sara has an Instagram account called Bunhead Bakes. She started her business during lockdown, delivering far and wide. She then did lots of markets and also supplies local shops and cafes.   I wish her much success.

Edited by Froglander

Posted (edited)

We tried Viet Flavours yesterday. They opened a few days ago next to Franco Manca on LL and are doing 20% off until the end of the month.

Food was very good and fresh, perfect for the warm weather of late. They have a nicely decorated room and service was friendly. Prices are on the higher end but not that different from others in the area (opening discount well worth it). We liked that they have the classics (Pho, Banh Mi, Bun Bo Hue, Vietnamese coffee, etc.) but also some dishes more rarely seen (crispy pancakes, anchovy chicken wings, tamaring fish, Saigo/Hoian rice place). Lots of veggie options too. We will be coming back. 

Edited by ArchieCarlos

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ArchieCarlos said:

We tried Viet Flavours yesterday. They opened a few days ago next to Franco Manca on LL and are doing 20% off until the end of the month.

Food was very good and fresh, perfect for the warm weather of late. They have a nicely decorated room and service was friendly. Prices are on the higher end but not that different from others in the area (opening discount well worth it). We liked that they have the classics (Pho, Banh Mi, Bun Bo Hue, Vietnamese coffee, etc.) but also some dishes more rarely seen (crispy pancakes, anchovy chicken wings, tamaring fish, Saigo/Hoian rice place). Lots of veggie options too. We will be coming back. 

I do have a slight problem spending £17 for Cơm tấm, given it costs $1.20 in Saigon. Hard for me to square that. The menu does look authentic though but yeah waaay too expensive for me.

Edited by Tuffstuff100

Posted (edited)
On 16/05/2024 at 10:26, mrwb said:

What is opening next to the EDT where there was a clothes shop before iirc? Saw a license application in the window on the way past today.

3 Lordship Lane says it has applied for a licence to show films under the name Tiloli.

and looks as if Majestic Wine are going into the old Evan’s bike shop.

Edited by gebbjane

6 hours ago, ArchieCarlos said:

We went there on Sunday.

Agree prices are on the high side, as are the drinks prices, though the bill wasn't too bad with the 20% off.

The food was good. Hope they do well - nice to see something a bit different.

On an unrelated matter, we had a delivery from Yard Sale pizza recently. It's only round the corner from us, and the pizzas  arrived stone cold and had to be microwaved.

We weren't very happy, as they aren't cheap either 🙄

On 16/05/2024 at 11:19, Froglander said:

Sara has an Instagram account called Bunhead Bakes. She started her business during lockdown, delivering far and wide. She then did lots of markets and also supplies local shops and cafes.   I wish her much success.

Couldn’t make the opening day on Sunday, but saw pictures on Instagram. There was a queue round the block and they were sold out in 2.5 hours.

5 hours ago, Tuffstuff100 said:

I do have a slight problem spending £17 for Cơm tấm, given it costs $1.20 in Saigon. Hard for me to square that. The menu does look authentic though but yeah waaay too expensive for me.

Haha it’s a bit like saying you have a problem paying £800k for a 3-bed house in ED given it costs £80k in Denbighshire

5 hours ago, Tuffstuff100 said:

Yes but think about the cost of flights to Saigon and accomdation...

I reckon you've saved yourself over £800 by supporting a local buisness

34 minutes ago, ArchieCarlos said:

Haha it’s a bit like saying you have a problem paying £800k for a 3-bed house in ED given it costs £80k in Denbighshire

I do have an issue with that! 😄 Hence why i'm more likely to live in Denbighshire than ED!

5 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I'd say salary and rent are quite different in Vietnam as well - but I doubt you are being paid/pay those rates either

I guess the point I am making is that it costs London and some - appreciate all food is more expensive recently but find it difficult to pay for what is relatively simple food. Anyway just my opinion 🙂 Chern Thai i'd happily pay for as it seems good price

1 hour ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

You genuinely can't work out why food is more expensive in a bourgeois district of London than in Sài Gòn?

I can work it out thanks 🙂 but still save you money! BanhBanh in Peckham is better value - £13 Pho v £15-£17 in vietflavours - all for new food places but prices need to be competitive and fair.

26 minutes ago, NewWave said:

Yes but think about the cost of flights to Saigon and accomdation...

I reckon you've saved yourself over £800 by supporting a local buisness

I think i'd go to BanhBanh in Peckham

Viet flavours - really enjoyed it.
A generous bowl of beef pho, light & clean tasty broth, tender meat, fresh garnishes. Crispy rice paper spring rolls were also good, lots of filling, not greasy. 

Lovely family owned vibe, friendly service.

On the pricier side as far as Vietnamese goes but this is Lordship Lane, rents are high, and it’s a very welcome addition amongst the burgers, coffee shops, pub food & pizza.