Latitude Festival

buggie

Is anyone else going and fancies car pooling?? Me and blokie are looking to head up on the Friday morning and return on the Monday. We're staying in Tangerine Fields so hoping not to be too bogged down with luggage. At the moment driving up and will have 2 spare places in the car.

As last post, went last year and loved it, going again this year with bells on. Car is full up though, perhaps some form of ED Convoy could be organised. We are leaving early Friday and coming back on Monday too.

Look out for Seasick Steve and Elbow, have seen them both live recently and they have been amazing. Also Rich Hall's alter ego Otis Lee Crenshaw is a must for the comedy tent, for he will regale you with songs like -

"In the Dark, he almost looks like You" (a love song about prison rape)

"Do anything you want to the girl, just don't hurt me" and

"Women call it Stalking"

10-4 Rubber Duck

man oh man I'm so excited. anyone else I should look out for? don't know how I'm going to fit it all in. is it sad that I'm really looking forward to the literary tent too - can you tell me what happens in there? I can't imagine dancing to hanif kureishi...

think blokie is going to have trouble getting me out of the comedy tent!! Saying that really looking forward to the Guillimots, Blondie and Franz Ferdinand!

RosieH = do give me a pm if anything can be worked out - only got a fiesta so can only accomodate 2 passengers x

I remember vaguely turning the poetry tent into a comedy tent as a local lass was performing and was asking question to the audience, I piped up found out she was local to ED had the whole tent in stitch, in a good way like.

Very friendly and clean festival as you have to put a deposit down on a plastic cup to drink from as they do not allow you to take your own alcohol in the festival arena so therefor no paper cups all over the place.

Been working like a loon and no internet at the mo, but am very keen on the edt edinburgh previews

Can i just rock up to the edt or is it tickets in advance only? And do you know how much, what time etc.

Must get back online

• 1 month later...

Soooo, how was Latitude for other forumites that went??

I had a fantastic time - think it was the right one for my festival cherry to be popped at!!

Loved Sigur Ros and Blondie, didn't mind the rain or the crick in my neck from stretching up on tip toes to try and see. Absolutely loved the literary tent - Robin Ince's Book Club was a failsafe way to loose at least an hour - especially the last one on Sunday night - Robin and Ross Noble doing John Peel impression's and remnising about "Copycats" tv show, although did end up seeing more of Pappy's Fun Club than I ever wanted to.

Only downsides were missing Ross Noble's conga line (didn't know anything about it until yesterday when looking on chortle) and that Michael Fabbri's slot got swapped so instead of making to the comedy tent with time to settle in and watch his set we ended up only seeing the last 5 minutes he did :'(

Still, looked at the latitude website today and they've got limited availability on tickets for next year at this years prices - got the ok from the other half so have just booked them - not going to miss Ross and Michael next year hopefully!!

:)-D

We went to the Larmer Tree festival instead. I did fancy Latitude but it clashed.

Larmer tree has a lot of folk and world music and loads of kids stuff to do and make too.

It was a fab old festival weekend. Late nights and face painting all round, a bit of country music and some giant scrabble. IN truth I havent quite recovered.

I got drunk and sunburnt, though not necessarily in that order. Quite how I managed it in the pouring rain is a wondrous question that only the magical Latitude can answer.

Ross Noble was absolutely corking, his conga line the funniest thing I've seen in a longer time than I care to remember. Elbow were brilliantly blinding and I feel sad that Guy Garvey is not my husband. Also fabulous: Pete Molinari, Team Waterpolo, Fanfarlo, Marcus Brigstocke, Frankie Boyle, the terrible camping chair that I bought in the dark at 2am that turned out to be covered in yellow smilies (which will serve me right for being a middle class twat and insisting on a chair at a festival, and also is possibly a karmic thing teaching me not to hate the smilie), the cider

Not brilliant: the dreadful, dreadful The Smiths - the musical; the fact that all the Observers had sold out by 11am (how early do these middle class people get up???!!! also see above about my being a middle class twat)

Oh yeah, also enjoyed the string of "this festival's so middle class that..." jokes in the comedy tent - Ross Noble's "there's a four year waiting list for the children's arena".

I wanna go back. but this time with people who do not bail out at a crucial time on a Sunday afternoon so that I face a stark choice between missing Grinderman and missing my lift home

Don't worry about needing a chair - I'm allergic to grass (so a field based festival was the ideal choice!) so looked on longingly - finally bought a huge plastic backed blanket on sunday afternoon!! Have got a sunburnt forhead - guessing its where I was straining to see over peoples heads!!

Two big things I forgot in my prev post were Ken Campbell's school of the night and 50 ways to leave your lover - both v v funny/well put together.