-------------------------------------------------------

> ?50k? That seems very cheap. How long is the lease

> for?

>

> Only went in here once, so I suppose so did

> others.

>

> Sorry that it's closing though :(

Well Sue, perhaps if you and a few others had gone there more often they may of survived..

Sure you are not that sorry. :)

Bear in mind, the Ivy House will need regular patronage. Else it will go the same way.

No good people going there once a week, at weekends .

Foxy

It's always been very empty. We went there a couple of weeks ago after dinner on a Saturday night - a pub cannot survive if it only has about 5 customers at 10pm on a Saturday night in the summer.

I wouldn't think this woudl be the last closure in SE15/SE22 Over the last couple of years i have been astonished that London and in particular our area seemd to have bucked the recession and more and more cafes, pubs and restaurants opened. Our household cannot be the only one that suffered the twin body blow in increasing bills and a decreased household income. We certainly spend a lot less on going out than we did 3 or 4 years ago.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Bear in mind, the Ivy House will need regular

> patronage. Else it will go the same way.

> No good people going there once a week, at

> weekends .

>

> Foxy

Once a week seems a reasonable level of support to me. This ain't Eastenders, after all. :)

Shame to lose it, but I've only been a couple of times. Thin layout makes it awkward, and it is a bit on the premium side. Maybe could be reworked as a cafe. Or maybe another gelati, because judging by Oddono's being permanently busy no matter the time of day, E.D. has clearly got gelatomania!

When it opened, there was really good music playing in there and Palm beer on draught. Bit pricey but a really good beer all the same. Popped in a couple of times after that and never saw Palm again, blokes toilets were out of order, plus other beers were off. Also had some dreadful pop / cheesy r&b rubbish playing, so never bothered again. Went to a bar in Canterbury recently with the same kind of set-up - loads of speciality Belgian / world beers. The difference was that they had some cool jazz and funk playing, good nibbles and a great general atmosphere. If you want people to part with ?6-7 for a beer you wouldn't always get at the average pub, you've got to also make sure place itself looks and feels the part.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ?50k? That seems very cheap. How long is the

> lease

> > for?

> >

> > Only went in here once, so I suppose so did

> > others.

> >

> > Sorry that it's closing though :(

xxxxxxxx

>

> Well Sue, perhaps if you and a few others had gone

> there more often they may of survived..

> Sure you are not that sorry. :)

>

> Bear in mind, the Ivy House will need regular

> patronage. Else it will go the same way.

> No good people going there once a week, at

> weekends .

>

> Foxy

xxxxxxxxx

FFS.

I only went once because it was too expensive for me.

That doesn't mean to say I'm not sorry that it's closing.

What's the Ivy House got to do with it? That's a completely different sort of place altogether, in a different sort of location, aiming at a completely different sort of customer.

The Draft House was hardly aiming to be a community owned, community pub, was it? It didn't have a purpose-built stage and a room suitable for music and other events, did it? Unless I missed it.

The Ivy House has a very motivated, enthusiastic, intelligent team behind it, and if I didn't think it would do well I wouldn't have bought shares in it. Why don't you lay off perpetually trying to put it down?

Was that ?50,000 [grand] a year rent?

100 locals putting in ?500 each. Share issue like Ivy House?

Run your local pub for a year/longer?

Perhaps 9am till noon use as community centre for isolated residents / resource centre / helping those with difficulty filling in forms etc /advice/other.

Local grants elected members?

What you say?

I would imagine it's ?50k to buy the lease... as KK has said.

Would depend on how long the lease was for.

Then its down to the Lease holder to foot the bills.

To pay rent / business rates / water rates / electricity bills / insurance

If the business fails you are stuck with the bills 'till you can re-sell the lease.

Foxy

Here's a question. The prev incarnation was Black Cherry and they built out into the garden at the back. It lost them natural light at the back and some intimacy at the bar but gained them another 20-odd covers. Was it the right thing to do?

don't think they had a choice MrBen - neighbours complained about the old outside space - so it was a case of lose it completely or attempt to get covers under a roof. I managed a couple of beers outside at the time - not stunning, but preferable to the cavern in place now

I don't think Draft House are closing other places - I think the LL outpost underperformed simply because, as others have said, the interior physical layout limitations are too odd

I don't - it wasn't very good. I think people have hit the nail ont he head - the space is awkward and doesn't work well for a bar whatwever the offer. In general old shop spaces do not really make good bar spaces. If you notice purpose built pubs in London tend to be on street corners where the building can be designed for a much more genial space

Yer but the recent change in permitted development rights would mean it wouldn't cost much to turn it into something else if the lease doesnt sell.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I would imagine it's ?50k to buy the lease... as

> KK has said.

>

> Would depend on how long the lease was for.

>

> Then its down to the Lease holder to foot the

> bills.

> To pay rent / business rates / water rates /

> electricity bills / insurance

>

> If the business fails you are stuck with the

> bills 'till you can re-sell the lease.

>

> Foxy

I dunno we have all these pokey old sho shops turned into supposedly 'cool bars', meanwhile 100s of victorian buildings purposely built for, you know, drinking, with space and light have been converted from pubs to pokey old flats....generation y/x? have a lot to answer for for abandoning our drinking heritage for dullsville boxes

This! What Quids said with knobs on.

???? Wrote:

> I dunno we have all these pokey old sho shops

> turned into supposedly 'cool bars', meanwhile 100s

> of victorian buildings purposely built for, you

> know, drinking, with space and light have been

> converted from pubs to pokey old

> flats....generation y/x? have a lot to answer for

> for abandoning our drinking heritage for

> dullsville boxes