Any thoughts on Penge

jennyh

I can report that the KFC is shit, but other than that I am liking it. ;-)

My mum was looking after my girls today and when on the high street was told by an old lady to "make sure you keep your purse safe around 'ere luv", which made me chuckle.

The massive park, srisky, is Crystal Palace Park. Its name can't hide the fact that it's as much a feature of Penge as the place in Norwood named after a burnt down glass building (as I said earlier it was called Penge Common pre-CP building). There are plenty of other parks though including Betts, Alexandra and Cator, depending on which bit of Penge you live in.

JulieW - you'll be round the corner from me and very very close to the fantastic Alexandra Nurseries and the soon to re-open Alexandra pub that we have high hopes for.

Oh I'm so easily led... On strength of this and few other threads I went to Alexandra Nurseries today as the sun was shining and I fancied a change with my two, it was lovely, such a hidden gem! I had yummy cake and soup (in that order, what of it?) and as much as a potter and I could with two inquisitive little people. Very much recommended and easily accessible from FH, took me 20 mins on the bus/walking door to door.

Sorry Otta no idea!

I have lived on the Sydenham / Penge border for about 8 years now and love it. There is a real sense of community around here. Plenty for people with young families in the form of playgroups and classes, access to loads of greenspaces and also leisure centres etc. Penge high street is a bit shabby but it has everything you need for the day to day and more. Alexandra nurseries is a great community hub and there are also events in Alexandra and Cator Park like a carol singing /concert at Christmas and Music in the Park in the summer where you can take along a picnic, chill out and listen to music - one year there was a jazz band, another a brass band and community choir etc if you are moving "like" the Friends of Alexandra and Cator Parks page and you can keep up to date with local events too!

• 2 weeks later...
As I've mentioned before on this thread, I work in Penge. I've come across a really great project called Community Champions which supports local people to turn an idea for their community into reality. It's a lovely group and I've been so impressed with the community spirit, as others have said. If you live in Penge and are interested, give me a PM and I'll send you the details.

Welcome Newcomers!

I moved here from ED nearly 4 years ago. I'm still regularly back there but now only have one child left at school in ED as the others are all at local schools here. It really isn't very far away at least not in distance...

The best forums are Virtual Norwood and Crystal Palace life which both have threads on Penge.

http://www.virtualnorwood.com/forum/forum/1-news-and-local-issues/

http://www.crystalpalacelife.com/index.php/kunena/index (the local chat one has a specific Penge section)

If you are wanting to be involved in something local, I'm about to start up a Friends of Penge Rec group with the help of Penge Parks. It is a great space just off the high street used by lots of children but could do with a little TLC. My first mission is to rename it. Penge Rec hardly sounds enticing even on a sunny day! Penge Greene seemed to go down well at the Penge Parks meeting on Monday so it should be possible.

Penge needs a few more brave traders. It was great that the Blue Mountain Caf? opened up, and hopefully more businesses will follow. Although the High Street is really useful there are quite a few empty units, and Maple Road is crying out for some independent shops. There is loads of potential here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm really excited to hear all the positives about Penge in this thread.

We are due to complete on a house near Kent House station in two weeks time! We are not going to be moving into the new abode until the summer, but would love to be in touch with those in the area then. We're moving from West London, so it's going to be quite a big change, although I did live in East Dulwich many moons ago.

Any research into good nurseries would be great. We have a 3 year old and an 11 month old (JulieW in particular it sounds like we have children the same age). I've heard that Holy Trinity on Lennard Road is supposed to be good. Do you have any views? Can't wait to get settled into the community. It sounds like Penge has a lot to offer and is getting better all the time!

Hi lizzichu,

Indeed we have children of the same age! Hopefully we should find out by next week whether we get the house or not and I really hope we do! Penge seems to be the place to go for! I called 3 nurseries and none of them have spaces until January 2015 at least...so we might have to keep commuting to ED for a while to take the children to nursery there...not ideal but there is not much we can do about it. I will be in touch once an exchange date has been confirmed...I cannot wait!!

Thanks JulieW. Fingers crossed that you do get the house! Top tip on the nurseries - I will get on the case to register the two little ones.

It sounds like there is a great community in Penge and around. Will definitely be interested in getting involved with Friends of Penge Rec (Greene) / Cator Park etc once we move. As well as keen to hear about the Community Champions projects SE22 Mum.

Srisky / Jennyh - did you decide to move to Penge in the end?

Hi lizzichu,

No, we haven't decided yet purely because both husband and I are in job limbo (contracts finishing in the next year or so). I wanted to find out about areas around ED now so once the job situation is sorted (hopefully in the next few months) we can start a property search immediately. Penge remains high on the list and our kids are the same age, too - daughter 3y and son 12months :) Good luck to both you and JulieW in completing your moves!

P.s Jennyh has moved elsewhere locally, I'll leave it to her to say where, as it's not my place to say although I'm sure she won't mind if I did.

6 weeks in Penge now, and loving it.

Only thing I'd like is a decent pub to go to and watch the footy. Don't want a gastro, as that's not a pub. Just want a nice booza. Have tried a couple and whilst I haven't felt intimmidated, I've not exactly enjoyed the experience. So for now I shall continue to get the bus to Fox's on Kirkdale, or down to The Castle in ED when the footy is on.

Off to The Bridge House this evening to watch Macbeth which should be an interesting evening.

The sports pubs in Penge are the Goldsmiths and Pauleyne Arms. Both are apit n sawdust places. The Goldsmiths has multiple large screens and one real ale on (think it's Pride). It really is a sports bar, I can't imagine going in there for any reason than to watch sport as the screens take over the place. The Pauleyne also does one or two ales (think it was Brains and Courgae Best last time I was in). The screens are more discrete though. The Maple at the Anerley end of Maple Road may do sports as well but I'm not certain.

In the days when I actually watched sports in pubs I used to hop on a bus to Beckenham but as I'm a City fan, the days when people were neutral about us, let alone pro-us, have long gone, so I find watching footy at home a preferable option.

Whereabouts is the goldsmiths? I've popped in to the crooked billet and that pkace next to Penge East station, both of which are beyond spit n sawdust.

By the way, if you were thinking about MacBeth at the bridge house, I'd recommend it. Went last night, it's upstairs in the "theatre" which is basically a room with chairs around the edge and the performance in the middle. 30 or so in the audience (think 40 would be about capacity). Was very impressed the the quality of the principle acrorsr.

Re a Doctor's http://www.catormedicalcentre.co.uk and a Dentist if needed http://www.beckenhamdentist.co.uk both cover Penge. In ES mag this week Sarah Beeney says in 'Where to buy? The next affordable hotspots' - Catford & Penge, well located next to Crystal Palace, suffer from slightly odd names, but have lovely streets, beautiful buildings and parks and pubs. Some shops are boarded up, but it is getting smarter. Better get in quick! I've lived here for 8 years and love it :)

There's a Craft Fair on today at Kenilworth Hall, Penge Congregational Church in Kenilworth Road, off Penge High Street down past Sainsburys 10am - 5pm