more car vandalism (Lounged)

alachlan

Terrible crime and all that, but laughed my tits off at the posts!

I remember being a little tw@t of a teenager, in a gang of other little tw@ts of teenagers destroying other people's stuff for a laugh after a night on acid or after doing loads of hot knives, or draught sherry. That was quite a long time ago, so methinks this is not a new phenomenon.

Hey I did all sorts of drugs and dumb sht as a teenager but in the town I grew up in if you had gone around vandalising stuff you would have got a sound kicking from your neighbors who would then have taken you to the cops who would have given you anther kicking and then called your folks who would have taken you home and given another just for good measure.

It was all very civilized.

"Lower your carbon footprint and ditch the motor and you can lower car crime at the same time."

Is this an indication of empathy with the perpetrators?

As for a reduction in car ownership reducing crime, mindless vandalism of property was around long before the internal combustion engine.

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> but it's a bit rich to say if you live in London you don't need a car.

I don't know, unless you do have a job like Brendan's other half where you have to get from A to B very quickly, I'm not so sure anyone does.

I have an "essential car users" job, but don't drive and manage fine on buses and trains. I know kids on buses can be a pain, and isn't ideal, but you still can't say you need a car because you have kids, it just makes life easier.

In my job I have to carry a lot of gear around in and around London. Hiring transport, presumably not petrol driven but perhaps a small caravan of Rickshaws just wouldn't be practical or keep me competitive. I could of course change profession, take up a position locally (receptionist at Willis B?) and walk to work each day.

This seems to be happening every few weeks, in the same places, to the same car owners. For many years, we've had the same problem and I wouldn't be surprised if the same idiots are the culprits. As I walked down Friern Road, I noticed

three of the cars that had been broken in to, are all Peugeot 206's?

Not everyone needs a car, but there are plenty of people who regularly have to transport large/heavy items, or make regular journeys which would be very inconvenient by public transport. I fall into both of those categories, and that's enough to justify it to myself, anyway!

*Bob* Wrote:

> or beer.

You got me there. Seriously though, I can't drive and never will, and Mrs Keef can't and might learn, but chances are our kids will have to make do with the bus...

To be honest even if we didn?t need one I would still own a car (although it would probably be 30 years old and broken most of the time). Driving is one of my greatest pleasures. I fcking hate driving in London though. It is bad for my blood pressure.

The 37 does smell of poo. So do the carriages on South Eastern trains.

The 185 smells like vomit on a regualr basis.

Brendan Wrote:

> My car lives on friern road.

>

> I'm not very happy about this at all. If I contact

> the police do you think they will do anything at

> all?

>

> I know they say they are aware of it but are they

> doing anything?

My neighbour told me, the police would make contact within 72 hours. But not to touch the car?

I live in London but work all over the country.

Sometime i get public transport where possible but couldn't do my job without a car.

And before you say it, i'm not only transporting myself but also kit and tools, sometimes too much to carry.

There, justified mine too...

(I am going for a bike license soon though so i am trying to reduce congestion and emissions etc...!)