tube station in camberwell

Alan - there isn't going to be a Bakerloo line extension in our lifetimes. I'm not sure why you keep saying this? Is this because (I quote) "In short it's well worth telling people they're going to get a tube even if there is no intention of delivering as long as it's believeable."?

Everybody on the thread has seen this in your comment above, so now it seems you're just deliberately peddling misinformation?

You're right about Denmark Hill being included in the second phase of the East London Line. It'll be available around 2015

It's not a question of maps, it's a question of purview. London Underground when underground has internal maps of their own infrastructure. If you buy an Oystercard you'll get the overland routes as well as that's a TFL document.

The North London Line has a better case for amalgamation into the LU network, as it's isolated and the lines for the most part don't get used by anyone else. The LBridge/Victoria stretches are used by various intercity services.

I think the main thing about Phase 2 (which will include Denmark Hill) is getting the funding. Even when Phase One was announced, there was still a lot of "will they, won't they" because of the issue of where the funding would come from.

I understand that Phase One was seen as part of the Olympic bid because the northern part of Phase One will connect the North London Railway and the East London Line tube. That has meant that they will have to get it ready before 2012 which is a real incentive to get on with the work, rather than the usual dilly-daddling that takes place.

East Dulwich missed out on the tube, but that's not the main reason we moved here (when we moved a few years ago, they were saying that ED was *one* of the proposed routes for the East London Line tube extension, but it was always made clear that there were *2* proposed routes and only one of those would get the go-ahead). We moved here because it was a nice area with lots of green space and it was very easy to get to the City (12 mins to London Bridge).

I'm sure if Camberwell gets a new service, East Dulites will support it because all improvements are good. Even without improved transport, Camberwell has some nice bits (I wish I was rich enough to live on Camberwell Grove!)

Yes as i've said the Denmark Hill stretch of the extension is actually planned for 2010, much of the connecting track has been laid down and the majority is on existent track anyway. However there's a lot more to it than track laying.

The GF's realistic estimate when she worked for TfL was definitely more in line with 2015 than 2010, much to our chagrin as I'm sure she's planned to kidnap me and spirit me across the Irish Sea before then.

They have definitely said that Phase 2 won't be built before the Olympics in 2012, which is a shame. Originally there were grand plans that Phase 2 would happen sooner.

Mockney - yes 2015 for Phase 2 does sound more realistic if they get funding. They have said that there will be new trains with air-conditioning (I remember when I used to use South-West trains - until 2 years ago the trains on my line were old slam-door trains with no heating or air-conditioning...)

Phase One is due for completion in 2010 so it remains to be seen if they get that done on time (at least they have given themselves a deadline of 2 years before the Olympics in case they overun). It was originally touted that Phase One would be completed in 2005, so its now going to be completed 5 years later.

I heard a rumour that the LB to Victoria overland services were to be axed, due to overcrowding on the system. So maybe not on the map so less people notice when it is axed? Good point to raise on "Meet the Managers" day at LB. Twenty or so managers all suited and booted, ready to talk trains and everyone is in such a rush to get to work they don't stop. Had a lot of chats with them when the ticket office at Tulse Hill was closed and they STILL only had one bloke in the kiosk at LB to buy a ticket from. Realy sorry that I have no source re the axing of lines, I know it's annoying. It may have been one of Tessa Jowell's missives, or in a paper? Hopefully someone else will know more.

• 1 month later...

I'm still waiting for the jet packs that tomorrow's world promised me, but in the meantime I reckon the transport links are pretty good.

Well, until I found out the hard way that the last east croydon train is 17:30 for goodness sake? Obviously Gatwick is closed after that!?!?

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I reckon the transport links are pretty good.

One train every 20 minutes into town during rush hour... it is worse than anywhere else I've lived in or around London.

>> One train every 20 minutes into town during rush hour... it is worse than anywhere else I've lived in or around London.

Is that true? I can get to London Bridge or Victoria in under 35 minutes door-to-door via Peckham Rye station - perhaps you should try that instead of ED mainline.

> Is that true?

Yep, more or less. 8:04, 8:15, 8:35, 8:56, 9:20

> Does it matter if it's every 20 minutes?

It matters when you're squashed in nose-to-nose! And it matters even more if you miss the train because the buses aren't running on time.

But this has all been discussed before. There are areas of London as nice as ED with decent transport links, but they're a lot more expensive. Anyway, going off topic...

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember that camberwell is a curuption of crippelwell in the 13 14 hundreds crippeld people went there for the many wells to drink the water supose to cure them the water tabel is very high so I think a tube station is un likly

Bob S