New school in the heart of East Dulwich!

I don't know what Blair said?

I never meant to accuse you Sean, I was impressed and a bit moved by moos' posts, and they rang some bells that is all.

Anyway, sorry this is way off topic. Just as an arguement, one could say that these kids will probably grow up to be decent people, what ever they think of Darwin, is that not a point for the school?

Edited because my phone doesn't show up smileys, and I think I took some things the wrong way and got all defensive.

I don't know what I am. :-$ I know (or hope) there is a force greater than I somewhere, there must be, but with the corruption of so many faiths and their so called religious leaders, I have unfortunately lost my faith and ability to take anything they say at face value, so many hypocritically live very different lives to the ones they say we must live. But, because I feel there must be something out there (POST EAST DULWICH)I try to live my life the best way I can, try to do no harm to anyone or anything living, try to see the good in people (although sometimes thats a challenge) well you get the gist, and hope that if when I do pop my clogs (POST EAST DULWICH), if there is such a thing as an afterlife, I'll hopefully be in the good bit.

Keef Nothing wrong with standing up and being counted as a Christian if thats what you believe in, so many have lost their faith!

My goodness, Sean, all I asked for was some moderation; I don't think I was being unfair and I tried to be as polite as possible. In a couple of posts on this thread I've said I agree that religion (including Christianity) has a bloody and sometimes unpleasant past, and in some cases is still responsible for atrocities today, which is very sad. I don't think that means I have to unquestioningly accept a label anyone chooses to cast on Christianity without so much as a word of protest.

For the record - James I am sorry if I was unfair, I absolutely did not mean to be.

This is from a report from the recent the World Humanist Conference about Romania which seems to show why it is a good idea not to let the creationists go unchallenged?

This is an EU country that apparently has now offically removed the teaching of evolution from state schools. Welcome to the Middle Ages.

Don't have a link as this was emailed to me.

[quote name=Among some of the bad news from Roumania that he infomed us about was an extraordinary RE text book used in state schools that he handed around at a meeting of IHEU reps. The book showed various 'sins' that children might commit. One showed children playing' date=' another staying in bed on a Sunday morning instead of going to church. The 'morals' were illustrated by comic-strip style drawings. Most horrifying was the illustration of a punishment, I think it was for failure to make the sign of the cross. What is it that will befall a sinner? - no, not hell fire and damnation, but that you will get run over by a car - and a child is shown going under the wheels of an avenging car !!

By the way, Romania has officially removed the teaching of evolution from State schools. Read this blog entry by our recent speaker Stephen Law.

]

Absolutely fair points moos - but I had hoped that my initial post was just a gentle moderation back, explaining why people might view the church in that light. It really wasn't meant to be a dig at you. Thought it might even be humorous.. "what have the Romans ever done for us etc?". I hoped it wouldn't upset you but if it has, from the bottom of my heart (if I have one) I apologise...

Muffintop - I have little belief in any other power, yet I too " try to live my life the best way I can, try to do no harm to anyone or anything living, try to see the good in people (although sometimes thats a challenge) well you get the gist"

What's wrong with me!?

Peace, kids - see, I'm turning the other cheek. As Derek and Clive would say - left upper.

Ooh, Sean, look, we've had a spat. For future reference, use of the word 'bugger' should have shown that I wasn't entirely serious at that point either.

A good Christians joke:-

I was walking over East Dulwich railway bridge the other day (to keep this local), and saw a man about to jump. I said No! don't jump, just think of all the wonderful things in life, think how much God loves you, don't waste your life!

He said - Oh, are you a Christian too?

I said yes! Are you Methodist or Baptist?

He said - Baptist

I said - Me too! Reformed or Evangelical?

He said - Evangelical.

I said - Me too! Church of the Wandering Saints, or Church of the Seven Spires?

He said - Church of the Wandering Saints.

I said - Die, heretic scum, and pushed him off the bridge.

I don't know what I am. I know (or hope) there is a force greater than I somewhere, there must be, but with the corruption of so many faiths and their so called religious leaders, I have unfortunately lost my faith and ability to take anything they say at face value, so many hypocritically live very different lives to the ones they say we must live. But, because I feel there must be something out there (POST EAST DULWICH)I try to live my life the best way I can, try to do no harm to anyone or anything living, try to see the good in people (although sometimes thats a challenge) well you get the gist, and hope that if when I do pop my clogs (POST EAST DULWICH), if there is such a thing as an afterlife, I'll hopefully be in the good bit.

Keef Nothing wrong with standing up and being counted as a Christian if thats what you believe in, so many have lost their faith!

No no, it's not that I am a closet Christian.

Actually everything you said there is pretty much true for me, I was quite in to the church, but several things made me question it and the way it is run. I do however still have some (rather mixed up) beliefs, and I have kept quiet in the past about them for fear of being laughed at or labelled a God botherer (I love that term!!!).

That said, I'm not sure I live my life the best way I can, I do try to do no harm to anyone, but I do regular harm to myself, and I am living ;-)

You know, before it was a school, that building used to be a local office for Thames Water, or some such. Anyone got anything interesting to say about the history of that building, or whether they know anyone who's ever had contact with the now defunct 'Seventh Day Adventist' school on the site, or about what the people of Matham Grove think about having an odd school on their doorstep? Macroban, any pictures you can insert here? Am I the only EDF reader who gets bored when East Dulwich threads get hijacked to become rather tedious soapboxes.

God bless Sean and Moos... two of our nicest East Dulwich forumites - proving that with or without religion people can be decent human beings.

I don't have too much of a gripe with religious schools actually. I was educated in Catholic schools throughout, and I reckon most teenagers make up their own minds. Most of us ended up cheerfully agnostic. And certainly in primary school religion and its stories can provide a useful structure to talk about treating each other with respect, kindness and love.

But I do have HUGE issues with schools not teaching evolution and indeed I do have sympathy with James's concern about homophobia....and the idea of sending a child to a school where they will gain no properly recognisable qualification is daft.

But - thank God (!) - this is a private school, not a sponsored academy (which I believe the school in the Midands may be) and as such it will be down to parents who can afford to make that choice. And if they are putting their money into that kind of education, chances are those children will be brought up with those values - for better or worse - regardless.

Presumably the school on the site previously didn't succeed... chances are midst credit crunch this one might struggle too...

I think that even mainstream church schools don't teach creationism though they might touch on it as an idea and a story. I know that some of the new academies have been teaching creationism in the sens ethat it is put forward as an idea to be taken seriously alongside the scientific theory of evolution.

I think, though I am not sure, that all state schools are obliged to have an "act of worship" every day and, I think, that this is supposed to christian. Parents are allowedto withdraw their children.

Personally I am happy with the teaching of the christian creation story - its a narrative that underpins a lot of our literature and there are lots of stories about how the world began. You might say that evolution is also one such narrative though, it should be accorded the highest status because we're reasonable and make decisions based on evidence.

I am not anti faith but i'm deeply sceptical and whilst i find most faith schools seem to place a greater emphasis on moral values there is no reason why this should be so. Atheists, agnostics and humanists are equally capable of moral and philosophical thought.

I find the idea of the school described worrying. Ideally I would like to see all religion kept out of education except as a subject to study (that is to acknowledge that many people do hold religious beliefs.)

I have been trying to find out what the requirement (in terms of curriculum) is in relation to the teaching of creationism and its been difficult to turn anything up - I'd be interested to hear from any teachers on this - is there any guidance?

I don't think it will cause too much of a stink or impact anyway, not at ?7K a year! and no recognisable qualifications when the children leave to start employment, or higher education, how would that work if they want to go to uni if they don't do GCSEs at the school?

I went to a faith school myself (Catholic convent) and we had girls of several other denominations and indeed religions at it. I can remember at least four Muslim girls in my class and a couple of Indian girls whom I believe were Hindu. The Catholics had to go to Mass on holy days and everyone else had the choice of going to chapel or doing private study. I can't understand why people are so threatened by faith schools.

• 4 years later...