Photos of Dulwich

JOHNNYBOY

I went back up recently and its changed so much, you wouldn't even know Vero's once stood there, such a shame, memories are so important, I used to walk to work with my Mum in the early 60s, down Crystal Palace Road to Vero's then on to Thomas Calton secondary School just across the road

If anyone has any photos of East Dulwich or Surrounding Areas, Camberwell, Peckham, Honor Oak, etc, Cine Film, Memories of the 40s,50s,60s,70s,80s and would be happy to share these on camberwellboroughcouncil.co.uk website, that would be great, just trying to build up as much information as possible from anyone willing and able to help as these memories are so Important

Best Wishes

John

I went back up recently and its changed so much, you wouldn't even know Vero's once stood there, such a shame, memories are so important, I used to walk to work with my Mum in the early 60s, down Crystal Palace Road to Vero's then on to Thomas Calton secondary School just across the road.

If anyone has any photos of East Dulwich or Surrounding Areas, Camberwell, Peckham, Honor Oak, etc, Cine Film, Memories of the 40s,50s,60s,70s,80s and would be happy to share these on camberwellboroughcouncil.co.uk website, that would be great, just trying to build up as much information as possible from anyone willing and able to help as these memories are so Important

Best Wishes

John

If only..., I still have a lot of family photos, living in our Prefab, holidays, etc, I even transferred some cine film for my uncle recently from the 60s & 70s, there are a few clips showing my Nan & Cousins playing in Rodwell Road in the 60s, my Aunt & Uncle walking the pram in Dulwich Park in the 60s, haven't watched it all properly yet, I also have my own cine film showing Elsted Street, Walworth, when I was living there & South Croxted Road when I was living there in the early 70s, great to be able to look back.

The prefabs on the corner of Friern and Underhill Road - is that where the allotments are now, or is it the old people's home, Lew Evans House? There is still an old chimney stack under one of the allotments, apparently. Could be yours, Johnny - or Francis Rossi's.

On a related topic, does anyone know what the corner shops on Crystal Palace Road - the middle section near underhill road and the CPT as was? There are lots of houses with angled corners, presumably where the shop doors used to be. I know the one on the corner of Pellatt and CPR was a sub post office about ten years ago but haven't been able to find out about others.

THANKS,

BigED

The Prefabs, 198,(where I lived) 200,(where Francis Rossi lived) were situated where the Elderly Peoples Home now stands. Where the Allotments are also stood Prefabs, in the early 60s on the corner of Underhill/Friern Road at 212 Underhill Road was Dereks Stores, a Grocers Store, it sold, milk, bread, biscuits, cheese, cut with a wire, put on the scales and then wrapped up in brown paper, it sold most things, a very hand shop.

The shop that stood on the opposite corner to the Butchers,Underhill/CPR/Whateley Road was Spinneys, an Antique Shop, Mrs Spinney used to sit in a Rocking Chair at the front of the shop.

All the best

John

Thats a great story John..knowing Francis and him working for your Dad. I have a few black and white

signed photos from their 'End of The Road'! tour from 1985! Its funny how since then I have been to more shows!!!

A friend of mine took the pics and through the Management Company, Francis and Rick Parfitt signed them..

I have been backstage with them a couple of times around the UK..

Do you still talk to Bill Vero? I wonder how his brother Richard is? It was my very first job

and Richard was as good as gold to work for..as were they all really..

Hi Pat

I am in touch with Bill Vero, I don't know how his brother is but I will mention your name to Bill next time we speak. I was speaking with Maureen Flannery yesterday, don't know if you knew her, she worked at Vero's with my Mum, Maureen was 91 last weekend, amazing, also Madge Gage, she was the lady in charge.

Glad you have a few signed photos from Francis & Rick. In about 1966 they used to rehearse in a damp basement of a second hand fridge shop down Lambeth Walk, at that time I was going out with Doreen Lancaster, we both went to Thomas Calton School in Peckham, Doreen was Alan Lancaster's sister, they lived with their parents in the flats just along from Peckham Bus Garage (I have so many stories about those times, perhaps I should write a book) It's funny how your life changes, when I first met Francis he was a struggling musician with his own group called "The Spectres" then they became "Traffic Jam" then "Status Quo", he was so excited when "Pictures of Matchstick Men entered the charts, I couldn't believe the song my mate wrote was in the charts, when I asked him what number it was at, thinking top twenty, he told me 98, but it soon shot up the charts and it wasn't long before he moved from the Prefab into a beautiful house in Lowther Hill, Forest Hill, and was driving around in an open top metallic blue BMW, I should have said at the time "Do you need another guitarist in your group Fran"

Anyway take care Pat and as soon as I speak with Bill I will mention your name.

All the best

John

Hi John..

when you mention my name also tell Bill about Vi Louch..Jean and Wendy. They also worked in the office.

Jean used to count all the takings, cash/cheques each day from the petrol station outside the showroom

of Gordons. I remember 1 particular day when Jean collected the takings..walked across the road to the

office and mentioned to Bill that she felt she was being watched! Bill then got the 2 car cleaners to be

her security guards for a number of weeks! She said she felt like royalty!I have always remembered how good

it was to work for an independant company till this day..

I do remember Madge but only by name as Lenny who I got to know really well worked under her..ah 1975..!!

ATB..pat

Hi Pat

I will certainly mention all those people for you, along with your name of course. What a great little story and what a great company to work for, that just goes to show how much they valued their staff, I know my Mum was always happy there, great times & happy memories.

Best Wishes

John

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
hi there I worked at veros from 1962 till 1971 my name was gwen worked in the old building then moved to the new one 1963? I worked with doris, betty law, marge, rose amour my manager was fred norman.i used pack hats for the outdoor workers. I don't remember your mum but I must have known her my sister Christine worked in the body shop her manager was sid hack. they were good times mr vero and co all the best gwen

Hi Gwenyth

Thank you for your memories, would you have any photos of your time at Vero's that you would be willing to share ? I have uploaded my own website which features quite a lot of information & photos about Vero's (many photos & memories courtesy of Bill Vero) if you have any photos & memories that you could add to my website that would be great, the website address if you wish to have a look is camberwellboroughcouncil.co.uk

I'm always hopeful that anybody that worked at Vero's might have photos of their time there and quite possibly my Mum might be in them.

My Mum packed the hats in cardboard boxes, threaded the white nylon cords, etc, I'm sure you must have known her, she was about 5' tall, very slim, wore glasses & had dark hair, the name Christine sounds familiar. My Mum worked with Maureen Flannery, Madge, who was in charge, Rose & many others, my Mum sadly passed away in 1967 aged just 40 years old.

All the best, John

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would anyone be up for scanning all the Southwark

> Council photos of the Dulwich area onto a publicly

> accessible website?

> Going via officers will cost ?10,000.

James Barber Wrote on 30 January 2014:

-------------------------------------------------------

[...]

>

> This year East Dulwich councillors have decided to

> allocate the following:

[...]

> Historic photos project ?4,500

>

This became:

400159 ED Historic photos project

Can anyone locate a specifcation, contract letting, ign-off or equivalent Completion document?

John K

• 7 months later...

Hi All

I worked at Vero,s 1973 till 1975 remember many names youve mentioned , also Micky Gowers , Colin Hunte , Diane who worked at the building at the bottom of Crystal Palace Road , good times.

Hi Johnuk,

If you look on my website at www.camberwellboroughcouncil.co.uk you will see a lot of information about Everitt Veros, my Mum worked there in the early 1960s. I contacted Bill Vero and he sent me a lot of information & photos and allowed me to use them on my website, I have also added my own photos & info, hope you find it interesting

All the best

John

• 1 month later...

I worked at Vero's from 1970 - 1973 My sisters also worked there between 1962 & 1974 Gwen worked for Freddie Norman and Christine worked for Sid Hack. I worked for Madge on the next bench to Maureen Flannery. I worked with Greta Lott, Crissy Lloyd, little Brenda, Marge, Cissy, Helen who 'burnt' the straps, Jeanie Miller, Patsy Darling and tall Pat who I think married a rock singer. We were on the top floor of the new building with all the machinists - little Rose, Alice, Diane Pearce and many others whose names I struggle to remember. I remember the Xmas parties held on our floor with the Gordon's garage staff- Paul, Martin, Larry and many more. There were photos taken Although I don't now have any copies but some of the above mentioned may come up trumps. Before my time were 'beanos' to the seaside and many photos taken. I remember Mr Bill, young Billy( whose wife may have been called Yvonne ), Keith & Reg but don't recall Richard.

I have tried the camberwellboroughcouncil link but cant seem to get to anything relevant - any suggestions?

Regards

Yvonne

If any of the names mentioned above would like to contact me I would love to hear from them

Hi Yvonne S

camberwellboroughcouncil.co.uk is my website and is down at the moment, got some technical problems, sorry about that as there are many photos relating to Everitt Vero's, some are my own and a lot were sent to me from Bill Vero......My Mum Joan Chinery worked at Veros in the 1960s, I was wondering if your sisters might have known her as I am pretty sure she worked with a lady called Christine who tried to help me write a song once, that would have been around 1964 when I was about 12 years old, my Mum also worked with Maureen Flannery whom I am still in touch with and with Madge Gage, her boss, who sadly passed away a couple of months ago, my Mum sadly passed away very young in 1967, she was just 40 years old, she was still working at Vero's when she became ill.

I have attached a couple of photos

Best Wishes

Johnnboy