New Morrisons

Serena2012

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jeremy aside from convenience in terms of having

> to walk a few hundred yards less to shop when

> stepping off the train, do we really need another

> supermarket-type store?

No... of course we don't need it at all. I'd probably use it occasionally - maybe once or twice a month - so for me it would be relatively useful compared to, say, a garden centre. I don't see it as a threat to independent shops. Others may not find it useful and would rather see something else there, and I'd respect that opinion too.

For busy working people the convenience of having a small supermarket right by your home station is a bonus. If you need to pick up a few things on your way home (which I seem to have to do daily given that I have no car so don't do a big weekly shop) it's unlikely you want to trek up to the big sainsburys and not everyone passes the co-op. I personally end up buying stuff where I work then lug it on the train - have a store right by the station will be very useful for me and I'm sure many others.

Jeremy and Landy,

Fair points both, and with the hours that many have to work I understand. I really do hope that my fear that more chains moving in will spell the end of the current ED is totally misplaced.

I will miss the garden centre though, what with that and plant nation closing we don't have anything similar. The only new shops opening seem to be cafes and supermarkets.

"And, if anyone is interested 'local' supermarket shops can and do charge more than the large supermarkets for the same products. Sainsbury local v Sainsbury Tesco v Tesco Metro check it out."

If you check out the link supplied earlier in the thread, you'd have seen that Morrisons don't charge extra in their smaller local type stores.

I will probably find it useful depending how they stock it. Co-op is ridiculously expensive and Sainsbury's is too large for a quick shop as well as being more expensive than Morrisons. The location makes it a lot nearer to the bus stop too.

a yes for Morrissons depending what will stock Sainburys buses dont go near us..and Co-operative to overpriced..

plenty tesco express around infact in camberwell walworth 2 near each other peckham rye dulwich road again 2 not that far frm each other both do good trade.

lordship lane top end sainsburys local so morrisons be nice change.

alchol big sell stand not needed doubt would as plenty other places sell that.......

m+s to pricy......waitrose.

got plenty nice independent shops few more mainstream go down nicely.

• 2 months later...

I've been to the M Local on New Oxford Street and wasn't overly impressed compared to the Sainsburys Local on LL or Tesco Express.

However despite Sainsburys being close by, Morrisons may be able to make a go of it considering the footfall from the station which will be more convenient to go to in comparison to the superstore.