Flying Pig

shell

We had such high hopes. Great selection of beers. Nice starters but really terrible meat. So bland and tasteless ..

And the poor staff need some training .. they clearly haven't been told what to say if the response to " how is your food? " is " to be honest not great " . Ours just looked tired and walked away. Who's in charge?

I want this to be good .. its a lovely place but the food and service need serious work. I'll maybe try again in a month.

i liked it when i went there, the beers were good (with a good few options) and staff were friendly.

The portions were too small though,

if i go to a bbq pit, i expect to be stuffed 'bodeans' style!

whilst pricey for what you get, if they charged a little more and that meant they could pile on the meat, i think they'd be onto a winner.

i liked the ambience too, popping in after work

We went there last night. Thought it much more ambient than its predecessor. The portions were ample - burgers and pulled pork although the latter had a spicy flavour which was quite salty. Our only minor concern was that plates should be used rather than the boards as stuff runs off the sides! Will go again.

"FFS.. Bottle of beer with a Wedge of Lime stuffed in the neck. "

not sure WHAT that has to do with FP

I'm making it to this place about once a week and have yet to have the same drink twice - which is annoying when I find one I really like, but then the next new choice is usually pretty good as well

Food is still hit and miss but I like the place

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Boards / Slates ? Everyone is doing it..

>

> All a bit Jamie Oliver.. Look at these bad boy .

> Pukka.

>

> Just give me Plate.... and a Glass for my

> Bottled Beer.

>

> FFS.. Bottle of beer with a Wedge of Lime stuffed

> in the neck.

>

> It's not New and it ain't Cool. Init.

>

> Foxy

That's a really bad accent there Fox. You sound Indian.

StraferJack Wrote:

> "FFS.. Bottle of beer with a Wedge of Lime stuffed

> in the neck. "

>

> not sure WHAT that has to do with FP

I would of thought by now you of all people would know that threads tend to go off subject.

I was replying to the post :-

Oh no not those ****dy boards again!! Why do pubs do it?! What is wrong with plates?!

when I said

Boards / Slates ? Everyone is doing it..

Bottle of beer with a Wedge of Lime stuffed in the neck is part and parcel of the above.

As is J?gerbombs .

It is all so Naff.

DulwichFox

Really disappointed!!! I had such high hopes for this place and really cannot understand how they can mess up a potentially good idea. First of all it is leaning too much towards a Gastro pub (of which we have loads in Dulwich) than a BBQ pit. The food was not good!! The chicken wings were bland, as were the ribs, which were small and did not taste good at all (almost like they had powdered them with flavour after cooking). Other people I was with seemed to have a better meal (though not amazing) but I have to say I was really disappointed and hopefully they can rework their recipes and prices.

Have to agree with the comments about the very variable quality of the food. I've had four meals here which have ranged from very good to pretty poor - without consistent standards I'm reluctant to recommend eating at The Flying Pig to anyone. It's a shame because I really want to like it and had hoped that this place would be getting a bit more of my hard earned cash.

However, if you are just after a beer it has a really good selection which is well kept and is reasonably wallet friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, having posted a glowing review a week or so back (must have been on another thread, as I can't see it here), I have to revise my comments.

On Saturday lunchtime I had the same burger as before (Spicy Pig) and can only conclude that when I had it previously I was ravenous and therefore thought it was wonderful.

This time, the burger was so-so, and left a nasty taste in my mouth afterwards.

It reminded me of the mince my mother used to cook in the fifties, with no seasoning or anything, just meat boiled in water :( Poor Mum, she wasn't much of a cook :))

The chips weren't great, and the so-called aioli looked and tasted like mayo out of a jar, with not the slightest hint of garlic. Yet the aioli I had last time I went was a highlight.

I did get a replacement for the mayo, but the replacement wasn't all that great either, albeit at least you could taste a bit of garlic.

Sadly, I don't think I will be eating here again in a hurry. Very disappointing, particularly as they have such a great range of ale.

I've only ever had great food here!

I love the huge selection of beers, and if Im feeling less adventurous there's always a few of the same things on. The Iguana IPA is awesome.

In my experience the food has been consistently really good. The burgers and pulled pork, but also the ribs and calamari.

I'd urge you guys not to give up on it just yet.

A.

Tried again and disappointing...again!!! They should strip the food down to basics in my opinion!! Even Harvester was better because it had no pretences about its food. This place just needs to be good hearty food in my opinion.

I think the staff are aware as when they came to clean our table none of us had finished and we did not even get as much as a ?how was your food??

Any decent restaurant should not need to ask 'How is your food' ?

They should they know.

Rest assured, I will be the first to tell any Restaurant if there is a problem..

... and the first to Compliment for good food / service.

Most Restaurants I use know I tip well, so I usually get good service.

DulwichFox

JimH Wrote:

Even Harvester was better because it had

> no pretences about its food.

xxxxxx

Oh, come on.

The food at the Harvester was appalling.

The only time I went there, both the main courses were sent back - which was unfortunate for them, as I was doing a Mystery Shop at the time :))

ETA: Which they didn't know, obviously .....

Hubby and I went here last week to sample a few ales and have a bite to eat .... the food was appalling and we won't be back!

We ordered the corn tortillas as a starter - when they arrived they were cold, tasteless and chewy with big lumps of gelatinous cheese. Almost like they had been prepared in advance and left to sit until wanted.

We also ordered some 'HAND CUT' chips with garlic mayo - when they arrived, no garlic mayo to be seen. The chips themselves were fried to within an inch of their lives and were dry and tasteless, not to mention black in the middle. The waiter who brought us our food could see that we were unhappy and came over to see if everything was ok. When I pointed out to him that the chips were burnt and black he replied, 'Oh, well they are Aunt Bessie's skin on chips so are supposed to look like that'. When I showed him how black they were inside by breaking one, and said to him, 'Aunt Bessie's?? Aren't they supposed to be HAND CUT CHIPS??!' he hurridly cleared our full dishes and said I'll get you a refund for your food!!

We will NOT be going back!!

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people seem to like moaning about this place, but I love it. It is always busy too, so I'm not alone.

I and a friend had the ribs last weekend and they were wonderful. Our other friend had the roast pork and that was great too.

Anyway I'll keep going back, for the beer and the food.

• 3 weeks later...

Went there on saturday. I liked it, beer was good (we avoided the slightly scary ciders) and the lasses enjoyed their wines; chips and snacks were good.

La Piba, as usual kicked up a bit of a fuss about something or other, but staff took it in their stride, manager came and had an interested word, took her comments on board and gave her a free glass of wine, and was thoroughly good humnoured about the whole thing, so big gold star from me.

Archived