Problems with Unqualified teacher in an academy - any sensible advice welcome

BB100

Hopefully this time your child will not be picked on BB100, regardless of there denial, they must give a reason for delaying the exam. If only there was honesty from the beginning,where management acknowledged your raising of the issue, or bringing there attention to it instead of ignoring you. I hope now they willl listen to your concerns.

My friend was a lab technician in a 'H' school outside Southwark. H took over the school over a year ago, most of the original staff resigned within a year. My friend hung in for some time but decided that it was time for her to retire after spending nearly 20 years there as she did not like the way they treated staff and did not respect the individual teaching styles of very experienced and good teachers. The teachers they have now are very much clones

To the original OP - I have been reading this thread with interest over the last couple of days. What worried me most both as an educator and as a parent, was the comments your child made about the behaviour management of the teacher. Do you think the head will be able to address this part of the complaint? I am increasingly worried about the attitudes towards young people, and this is evident in many schools were vast amounts of students are becoming switched off to education. Whether or not having an unqualified teacher or not is the issue, I can't comment on. Certainly the introduction of the baccalaurete created the need for good MFL teachers as languages became an key part of that particular qualification.

I really hope you can find an adequate answer, at least, to your query. Whoever or whatever the background of the staff, your child is entitled to a fair and safe environment in which to go to school in. Good luck.

Hi ad2000,

I'm quite shocked the school hasn't really taken up this aspect of the complaint either. All I've had is a call back saying they looked at three children's books and everything is fine. HOWEVER my intelligent child thought to ask every member of that class and each one has said they have been in possession of their book for over a week and no one has asked to see it. So we asked which children's books they have a looked at as my child wants to check with them. Consequently, I now have a 'promise' of a meeting for next term with the deputy (no reply from the Head).

And yes whether qualified or unqualified no one should work in a school if they can't speak and write English clearly. Mr Gove has tightened the rules on the English tests for qualified Teachers but has let anyone in the back door if they are an academy.

Sounds like you might be getting the brush off. They can't even offer you a brief meeting THIS term? Personally I think be inclined to pursue this more aggressively due to the inappropriate behavioural element involved. From your description this teacher is bullying students, and the school should investigate this immediately. At the very least they need to give you an actual date not just a promise.

Curious-what's the school's written policy on bullying in general? If this type of behaviour were among students would the school wait till next term to address it?!

bornagain Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Doctor / Teacher hmmm, let me think. It's a

> hell

> > of a lot easier to become a teacher than a

> doctor!

> > (not dissing teachers, but wouldn't compare

> their

> > qualification and study to that of a doctor)

> >

> > I don't think it's right for schools to hire

> > unqualified teachers for subjects like science

> /

> > English / maths, but I think it's perfectly

> fine

> > to bring in experienced sports coaches for games

> /

> > PE, and I can imagine bringing people in for

> > languages, and I see no problem with it so long

> as

> > it's closely monitored and supervised. Equally

> > with that head in Pimlico, I don't think there

> is

> > so much a problem for an experienced manager

> with

> > very good people skills to run a school if they

> > have a good knowledgable team around them. That

> > girl was 27 years old and knew nothing about

> > education.

> >

> > There is unqualified, and unqualified.

>

> Hmmm? are you happy putting the future of your

> children in the hands of those unqualified to do

> the task? Don't forget your children will be in

> the sole care of those so-called professionals for

> hours over the school year. It's just not enough

> to be CRB checked?

>

> I am not saying that all qualified teachers are

> good but surely for our kid's sake we could ask

> for some minimum standards. As far as I can see

> allowing non-qualified teachers into the classroom

> is a cost-cutting exercise and a way to plug gaps

> in subjects that they can't fill.

>

> I cannot see why you can't insist that a

> prospective teacher should devote just one year of

> their life (if a graduate) to get a PGCE

> qualification - don't think that's asking a lot?!

Did you know private schools also employ unqualified teachers? I have a friend who teaches science in a well known private school and he has no teaching qualification. Fairly common. Apparently a degree is enough.

I think there should be a distinction between unqualified teachers (ie, no *teaching* qualification), and non-qualified teachers (ie, no relevant degree and/or professional experience). To say for example that someone with a PhD or 10+ years of professional experience would fall into the same category as someone recently graduated with only a bachelor's degree would seem unequal.

If schools are happy to take unqualified teachers, there are ought to be some other process for vetting them prior to employment, and/or continuing assessment and support to ensure that they're integrating into the school and providing good teaching. IME, in private schools poorly performing teachers cost the school money, as parents who are unhappy can take their tuition fees elsewhere. It's in the school's best monetary interest to provide good teaching. State-funded schools wouldn't have this same 'market pressure'. Surely all the more reasons that there needs to be a clear system of guidance for unqualified teachers?

In the OP's case, it sounds like the MFL teacher is lacking the correct support and guidance from the school. All the more reason you'd think they'd want to address this sooner rather than later! Seriously, is it too much for them to give you 10 min of face time before or after school? Or, are they totally clogged up dealing with complaints from other parents???

I guess the difference from having the subject knowledge versus qualified means that with the latter you have had the relevant training in child protection, pedagogy, behaviour management, cross curricular understanding, knowledge of transitions, lectures with professionals in the educational field. It is expected that the school will support, but that doesn't always happen. I had a good degree but wouldn't have felt comfortable going into a classroom without the training. That's just me though. I am hazarding a guess that the teacher mentioned has the knowledge but not the means to behaviour manage. I agree with Saffron - it is rather off that they can't give you 10 mins of face time....