Card cloning warning

OK, so it might not be the ATM. But both myself and my colleague have had cards cloned with withdrawals in Benin (attempted in her case as her bank is on the ball, ?2000 in mine because Halifax are idiots).

We thought it must be somewhere in the Warren St area, but this has made me think it might be down there as she's a Barry Roadite.

And no, I don't have a car.

I just found out from Barclays that my card has been done and they found out when the city of london police raided a house

and found my details on a laptop along with thousands of others. I do hope the owners of said laptop enjoy their time being detained at her majesty's pleasure as I am now unable to withdraw any money or use my card and I go on holiday tomorrow!!!

Ah...mine has been cloned as well....bank phoned yesterday...bah.

I have been avoiding "that petrol station" for well over a year...as well as the other mentioned spot...I think i perhaps did not notice something amiss at the bank atm...but I've no recollection of it looking any different...

how crazy.

best, otto

You can't really tell the difference at the ATM's so just be careful, look out for those big bully looking guys hanging around them too, the local shopkeepers scared them off recently by getting together i hear. That Mr Tanna can be quite scary on his own. Tanna should have been voted in for Mayor.(tu)

actually saw the "big bully guys" hanging about a couple of times recently...and did feel something was amiss...did a withdrawal anyway which i shouldn't have in retrospect...i just walked home a different way on busy roads - had shielded my pin...the transactions on my card all took place in illinois (america) where one does not need a pin...

must be a big operation of clone-selling....

i think i will go in the bank next time for a withdrawal...

thanks karter...this is good info for all - who is mr. tanna?

One other tip is never to give out your card details without a pin. Apparently if you do this - according to a fraud investigator I met recently, this invalidates insurance claims if someone scams your card.

Just got my statement for my cloned card in and picked out my 3 local purchases in the last month.

I am sure by some process of elimination we can work out the most likely place of a cloning source?

Here's the short list anyway:

Texaco Service Station, Grove Vale, SE22 (sounds familiar?)

The Rye Pub/Hotel, SE15

Locale Restaurant, SE22

That's it. My cloned card was being used in Benin, West Africa. Mockney Piers, I notice your card details were being used in Benin too, I would love to know if you used any of your cards at the above places?

Hi

I've just finished typing in my card clone incident to the met office crime reporting online facility. I think it is probably important to report it, no matter how futile it all seems...

It was easy to do online - I guess someone will phone me within 72hours...

Best,

Otto

I heard that there have been some problems with the HSBC ATM in LL recently, so best add it to your list of places to avoid.

I usually try to get cash back in a supermarket if I can as it seems safer, but daresay I'll soon be proved wrong.

Hi,

If any one ever bothered to read my messages with regard to machines, they will have read that the Tesco Metro store in East Dulwich Road, The filling station in Grove Vale, Budgens in Lordship lane and also HSBC in the Lane are all subject to repeated attempts to get your money.

My advice is that you should make sure that before the weekend you have enough money, withdraw from inside a bank or Post Office, and you will not get a reality check!

On another point it seems that the energy companies are doing the same, but appear to do it legit!.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

louisiana Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do any of the local bank branches have a cash

> machine inside the bank? I walked past HSBC today

> and decided not to withdraw from the outside

> machines - which I'd normally do. (I don't shop at

> Sainsbury's so can't do cash-back.)

xxxxxxx

Somerfield also do cashback :)

You only have to buy something small (mind you,you may have to queue for half an hour to buy it :)) )

Otto Wrote:

> Hi

>

> Went into HSBC today to withdraw funds with my new

> card and the bank teller told me not to use the

> machines outside as they had been "compromised" on

> several occasions...

>

> xo, otto

xxxxxxxxx

You'd think in the twenty first century that the banks would have found some way to overcome this, wouldn't you :-S

Why does the bank not remove the machines, if they are warning people not to use them??

:-S

I've had my Egg card cloned in the last few days... don't know if it was from using it in Dulwich but the last place I used it before the thief started using it was Kwik Fit on Grove Vale.

Luckily Egg spotted the problem and stopped it with only ?80 being spent on it before they called me.

LL47 Wrote:

> One other tip is never to give out your card

> details without a pin. Apparently if you do this -

> according to a fraud investigator I met recently,

> this invalidates insurance claims if someone scams

> your card.

LL74 I'm not sure I understand - are you saying we should only give out our card details WITH the PIN?

Also - what insurance claim? Unless the bank can prove the fraud was your fault (refer previous section on giving out your card details) then you don't pay - the merchant/bank does where the compromise occurred. Therefore where does the insurance claim come in?