Card cloning warning

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > It MIGHT be that the places in question are

> hotbeds of cloning but I would love to know more

> about how people know. And why people still go

> there

xxxxxxx

I still go there occasionally - and pay cash.

I also recently overheard another customer returning to the till because he realised he had not been given his cashback. Not just me then.

Well... after two failed attempts to process the card on a trip to above mentioned establishment and not having used the card since my dads card was cloned recently.

Of course there could be a number of ways and sources this could have happened with but seems strange with the resurrection of this post...

I dunno, SMG... a while ago when there were LOADS of people on here who had all been done in the same time frame. We'd all used the petrol station - and petrol stations notorious for this kind of thing. Circumstantial of course... it is not proof, but it was a pretty strong indication IMO. There's no way I'd use a card in that place again.

My card details were used fraudulently towards the end of last year. I use neither the supermarket in question nor the garage. So it can happen anywhere.

The main thing is to take common sense steps when using your card and check your account regularly so you can catch it asap if it happens to you.

that only proves that the cloned card was used in (probably) that cash point - obvious if you want to pull up make a quick withdrawal and get away sharpish

But where the details were cloned from remains open. The garage is PLAUSIBLE but given how many people use the garage it's hardly proving anything. It's like saying that everyone who was a victim ate in the last 24 hours... therefore there must be a link with food

As mentioned above, naming an establishment without unequivocal proof is libellous, and don't think owners of said establishemnts won't take notice of posts on here as you are technically detracting from their business.

If you have a 'hunch', keep it to yourself.

mark_bowen Wrote:

> I'm surprised that Somerfield is still being

> mentioned. I understand that the vast majority of

> their staff were recently replaced due to being

> discovered as card cloners.

That would be moderately newsworthy, no?

Funny how I can't find even a suggestion that that occurred, apart from on here.

Hi

mockney piers Wrote:

> area, but this has made me think it might be down

> there as she's a Barry Roadite.

Some people have suggested that it shouldn't be hard to spot a modified ATM and while that may hold true if you are technically inclined, many people are not.

I propose a very simple alternative. Develop an ATM habit. Pick the most convenient machines near your home/work/whatever and use those. You'll get used to what they look like, so when they have an extra bit on the card slot one day, it'll stand out like a sore thumb.

Simple.

Personally I think the banks could massively improve the design of the ATM fascias to make it obvious when there has been tampering (e.g. the entire front would be a single smooth piece of brushed metal), but that doesn't seem wildly likely to happen any time soon.

The photo on the right is of a card skimmer (see the next message).

I used this machine in November with that device on the slot. I didn't think about it until my card was in and I'd entered my pin. Looking more closely at the decorative strip at the top of the ATM, I found a small hole. I gave the strip a bit of a shake and it came away in my hand. There was a skype phone hidden inside transmitting a video call of the pins that were being entered.

I took the phone and decorative strip home - the police came round and collect it but I haven't heard anything since so presumably no useful fingerprints etc.

Was meaning to quote the message below about Barclays on LL.

ianr Wrote:

> >Hi All, Just to let you know that I used the

> Barkelys bank ATM this

> >morning (the one on the corner) and it had a

> thing over the card slot-

> >then I checked all the other Barkleys ones and

> they did not have this thing.

>

> For information, here are photographs I took at

> 12:28 today of the Barclays ATMs, on LL and the

> corner of LL/Ashbourne Grove, respectively. It's

> clear, BTW, from photos of the full fascia, that

> the machines are different models. I didn't see

> or feel anything that seemed obviously amiss or

> appended, and my amateur assumption is that

> they're both currently in their natural state.

>

> But can anyone definitely confirm that the initial

> slot bit in the second is standard (probably an

> anti-tamper device?) and not a skimmer?

Ants Wrote:

> The Bank teller at HSBC told me late last year

> (after my card was cloned) that Somerfields was

> the common cause.

xxxxxx

That's interesting, because when the fraud department at First Direct (part of HSBC) phoned to tell me my card had been cloned, I said "It was Somerfield, wasn't it". And they said "How did you know?"

Well, my bank just rang and confirmed the money taken from my acct was from Grove Vale Petrol Station. They said it was done using my card! I explained l was at home in bed (other half with me) and the other time was in doors with three other people at the time so how could my card have left my sight and then been replaced wihtout realising?! Have had to contact police to get CCTV! I doube the police will be particularly helpful. I am not letting this go. If a card is cloned - wouldnt it appear that it was from your card anyway?

A bank confirming a cloned card was used at Location X proves no more than where it was USED - it gives no indication as to where your card was cloned. It could have been any number of places - and as I say, the garage makes it the ideal spot to drive up, use the card and scarper quickly. Much more so than the bank machines on LL.

That seems to be a more obvious factor in the garage's regular mention

I know that SMG is the voice of reason here, but for me the weight of circumstantial evidence against the petrol station over the last couple of years is too much to ignore. I remember the first time there was a card cloning thread on here... the recent "victims" all PMd each other, and there was only one place we'd all used our cards recently.

You would think that you'd have to be pretty stupid to use a cloned card at the same place it was cloned at... but I wouldn't put it past them.