The Patch

Jim1234

Good beer there. Got rid of some of the riff raff from the days of the mag. That bald headed Phil Mitchell type and his mates seem to have gone elsewhere. Seems like a pleasant place to enter now.

Like the fact that they're open till 1am. that's the only way to lure people away from Goose Green end.

I agree BrandNewGuy but I guess as its a relatively normal pub I expected relatively normal prices or to be warned in advance if I'm buying premium beer. There was nothing to suggest I was buying something over ?5.

I'll know to check the beer price list next time to aid my choice. But I'll remember it as the place where I first paid over ?5 for a pint.

Maybe your wine comparison would make more sense if I was presented with a "Beer List" to peruse and choose from. I guess they feel the board in the corner does the job but I certainly didn't notice it until afterwards.

The beer was nice and it was 6+% but still a bit of a surprise. I actually thought I was buying a standard IPA and that it would be cheap.

As it was my first drink of November and being 6+% - I fell over three times and started a fight on the way home, shat in the EDT toilets and was sick in a kebab. So I guess I got my moneys worth.

Don't get me wrong, I know of a couple of long standing Dulwich pub users that can really put you off your pint, being overly loud and a bit on the intimidating side, and if it was them, you have my sympathy. I think it was just the use of the term "riff raff" that came over a bit wrong.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> did you not see the huge array of taps, or the

> sign outside saying "craft beers", or the lack of

> krony/stella/san miguel

YES

and think "something

> different here"?

NOT REALLY

Chronology

?1+ Carlsberg in Tullyglass Hotel - Ballymena 1986

?2+ Miller in Slug and Lettuce - Upper Street 1993

?3+ Budweiser in The Sun - Clapham 1998

?4+ Stau - Garrick Shaftsbury Avenue 2006

?5+ IPA - Flying Pig ED 2013

?6+ next weeks beer - Flying Pig 2013

Sue- This piece from Big Hospitality explains what The Patch means by "self-sustainable" and does makes some sense. Basically as much as possible will be sourced from within a 15-25 mile radius from people to ingredients and will be supplemented by veg from their own kitchen garden once established.....

http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Business/Entrepreneur-plans-to-turn-East-Dulwich-pub-into-London-s-first-self-sustaining-community-gastropub

It also is quite open about the Enterprise tie.....

Finally got myself into the Flying Pig today (where is that thread BTW?). Great selection of beer. Didn't eat there but then I don't go to bars to eat. I go to DRINK! Mac, by the way are you really that foolish. (Don't answer that)

Oh yeah, sorry The Patch. I shall be paying it a visit very very soon.

I'm all for quality beer as much as the next man and i don't really care what it costs tbh. Just good to create a bit of a stir now and again. I'm moving into Altima court shortly so FP will be my local and I'm looking forward to spending my hard earned in there. It's a nice bar, nice staff too.

edited to say I had not seen ottas flaming thread before posting this.

MrBen Wrote:

> Sue- This piece from Big Hospitality explains what

> The Patch means by "self-sustainable" and does

> makes some sense. Basically as much as possible

> will be sourced from within a 15-25 mile radius

> from people to ingredients and will be

> supplemented by veg from their own kitchen garden

> once established.....

>

> http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Business/Entrepren

> eur-plans-to-turn-East-Dulwich-pub-into-London-s-f

> irst-self-sustaining-community-gastropub

>

> It also is quite open about the Enterprise

> tie.....

XXXXX

Thanks Mr Ben, I guess their interpretation of certain words is just different from mine.

As you say, some of it is explained in the article.

ETA: Though not really the "100%", which doesn't really lend itself to other interpretations .....

StraferJack Wrote:

> Cheers for the update mr b

>

> Any reason we can't find this info out other from

> someone we know on edf ?

>

> Checked the website. Disappeared

>

> Facebook. Nothing

>

> Twitter. Nothing

>

>

> Engagement with potential punters seems to be from

> 1985

xxxxxx

According to a comment The Patch posted on Facebook on Saturday (in response to somebody trying and failing to book a table) the restaurant is opening this Wednesday.

Another comment by somebody else says the manager told her it had a "kitchen gas issue".

ETA: But they don't seem to have tweeted anything since the end of October.