Lordship lane shops - service

Poppet

At times, I think how you view the level of service you receive is in part linked to your mood. Having written that, I also have (read: had) high expectations of customer service. (I manage a restaurant and I come from Japan where it would be normal for the train announcer to apologise for being 1 minute late...). I think customer service in East Dulwich is acceptable to good, in general, although I've had better service elsewhere. I've come to acknowledge that's just how it is. I actually think most stores would benefit from customer service training. It should be standard practice. If it is, which I doubt, I think it's lacking...a lot.

East of Dulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Which White Horse are you talking about. Is this a

> pub in East Dulwich that I've somehow managed to

> miss all these years? Or a traditional name for a

> pub that goes under another one?

The one in SE15, Nigel Rd I think. Presumed was allowed as the amount of cr ap spouted about Fr(W)anks, Bellend Rd etc.

I feel I have to stand up for east dulwich's shop assistants today. I've just been out on lordship lane and its surrounding roads to buy some birthday and xmas presents and have had great service in every shop. Particularly Dr. Boo and Hope & Greenwood (if I were to pick the best). I also work in customer service myself and I'm usually hard to impress. Maybe they're reading this and making notes?

Today whilst shopping on LL I was reminded that a large part of good service is reading the customer and assessing the right kind of service for them.

Today for the first time in ages I went into Roullier White and left without buying a perfume (previously I have always gone in to browse and left having purchased a fragrance or a candle).

The reason for this was the over keen sales girl behind the counter (one I've not seen there before).

Who sort of bombarded us with perfumes, even though I told her I was happy to look alone because I knew what I liked.

And in the end I became so confused and overwhelmed that I left with loads of cards with spray on and none I particularly felt inclined to buy.

the difference between this experience and others in the shop is that the previous assistants all asked me what I liked first, and if I said I'm just looking but I like floral scents they then in a very laid back and knowledgeable manner suggested new scents I may like which invariably lead to me leaving the shop having spent ?100!

The new girl was lovely, and tried to help but in a way which made me feel pressured.

Its all about balance

NewWave Wrote:

> Today whilst shopping on LL I was reminded that a

> large part of good service is reading the customer

> and assessing the right kind of service for them.

> Today for the first time in ages I went into

> Roullier White and left without buying a perfume

> (previously I have always gone in to browse and

> left having purchased a fragrance or a candle).

> The reason for this was the over keen sales girl

> behind the counter (one I've not seen there

> before).

> Who sort of bombarded us with perfumes, even

> though I told her I was happy to look alone

> because I knew what I liked.

> And in the end I became so confused and

> overwhelmed that I left with loads of cards with

> spray on and none I particularly felt inclined to

> buy.

> the difference between this experience and others

> in the shop is that the previous assistants all

> asked me what I liked first, and if I said I'm

> just looking but I like floral scents they then in

> a very laid back and knowledgeable manner

> suggested new scents I may like which invariably

> lead to me leaving the shop having spent ?100!

> The new girl was lovely, and tried to help but in

> a way which made me feel pressured.

> Its all about balance

Have had same experience in same shop a couple of weeks ago. Not a girl. It was a rather nervous tall chap. I agree it's all about reading the customer. Not sure what's happened to this shop of late.

Very sad-I hope the owners read this, because its always been my fave shop for treats,and I always send my other half there to get me gifts...

I think the young man you mention was lurking around as well today.

There used to be such amazing knowledgable staff in there that inspired me and my OH to purchase.

I am gutted this appears to no longer be the case.

• 1 month later...

NewWave Wrote:

> Very sad-I hope the owners read this, because its

> always been my fave shop for treats,and I always

> send my other half there to get me gifts...

> I think the young man you mention was lurking

> around as well today.

> There used to be such amazing knowledgable staff

> in there that inspired me and my OH to purchase.

> I am gutted this appears to no longer be the case.

Ah that's very sad to read. I used to work in Roullier White just over a year ago and was trained by the then manager Anna, who was extremely knowledgeable about perfume and it was a joy to work with her. Not sure who is there now though.

>

> Ah that's very sad to read. I used to work in

> Roullier White just over a year ago and was

> trained by the then manager Anna, who was

> extremely knowledgeable about perfume and it was a

> joy to work with her. Not sure who is there now

> though.

I remember Anna in Roullier White-she was incredible! Since she's gone the service levels have gone down. And my other half no longer wants to go in there where as before, as previously mentioned by myself we would wander in and be so inspired we would always end up buying a scent-Now he in particular feels its not a pleasant shopping experience because the assistants are very pushy and don't inspire a purchase.

RE; ED Deli-I find the staff quite lazy and rude-they seemed happy to ignore me as I stood waiting even though there were three of them behind the counter and only one person being served. I don't bother going in there now.

On a plus I LOVE shopping in Moxons-the staff are knowledgable and friendly its a real joy in fact-I always leave smiling.

I found the staff in ED Deli pleasant and helpful. ( On the 1 occasion I have been in there.. )

Giving details about the Bread they sell. Sourdough Full of Seeds and Fibre and therefore relatively low GI.

Unfortunately the bread was about ?3.90 ish and was stale by the next morning.

As for Moxons Asked for Raw King Prawns.. They do not have them in stock. But will order.

Frozen ?40.00 a box. (And that was when the first opened some years back.

Also would not sell me a Sea Bass Fillet. would need to buy 2 at ?9.80

As for William Rose. Asked for a Rib-Eye Steak. Got it home to find it was not a Rib-Eye.

Took it back.. Woman behind counter insisted "That's a Rib-Eye love. we trim it.

Second Butcher backed her up.

Then 'head' man whispered 'It's a Sirloin...

No one the has the slightest idea..

That's why I do not shop on Lordship Lane...

DulwichFox..

Is that the DIY shop on Lordship Lane near Goose Green?

I agree their service is good, but it makes me laugh that whatever small item I buy there always seems to cost exactly the same amount! And I've been behind other customers also being charged that amount!

Not complaining as their pricing is not excessive, maybe it just makes it easier for them!