Honeymoon with kids - any ideas?

Trish

So after 21 years my other half finally proposed....I know, I'm a patient woman! So we plan to get married in August and would like to spend one or two weeks on honeymoon but we don't want to leave our kids behind so it needs to be somewhere which works for all of us. Any suggestions? I'm stumped! My children are 8 (girl) and 3 (boy).

Thanks for suggestions!

KalamityKel - we normally hire a villa in Europe over summer so I suppose I'm wondering if we can do something a little more special. Not sure we will be able to afford to do anything different or, as you point out, we necessarily need to but it would be great to have an especially memorable break away to mark the occasion.

I write this from Barbados and I recommend it. My partner used to live here when he was younger and we have been twice with the kids (boy 4, girl almost 2). It's hot, the beaches are wonderful, the locals are friendly, there are other activities like snorkelling, diving, surfing and lots of places to visit like historic buildings and rum factories... It is expensive however, but we normally hire an apartment and do our own cooking (lots of fish which is cheap, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and rice...) We also hire a car privately so that works out cheaper. The island is small and easy to go round.

I have travelled with kids to different places like Canaries, India, Gambia, Kenya, etc and this is by far the easiest more relaxing place with them.

I hope you find the answer. Whatever you decide, have fun!

I stayed here on honeymoon:

http://www.palazzobelmonte.com/

It was heavenly - gorgeous food, swimming, luxury rooms and totally kid friendly whilst being special. The town is typical Italian seaside and totally welcoming to children. Fly to Naples and hire a car - also great for going to e.g. Pompeii, Herculaneum etc.

I was pregnant at the time with no 1, and we have promised to take our (now three!) children there for our 10th wedding anniversary :)

• 1 month later...

We're also taking our daughter (will be 1) with us on honeymoon in June and are thinking of places...was trying to research small Greek islands off the beaten track so if anyone has any suggestions please do share.

Trish, I would highly recommend Thailand and particularly Koh Tao and Koh phang'an (west or north only), or koh Yao. If you do decide on Thailand, book flights and accom separately. Accom booked direct with the resort will be much cheaper than anything booked through travel operators. I'd be happy to make suggestions for Koh Tao and Phang'an.

Good luck!

Go Glamping by lake Bled, Slovenia. Weather is ok. It's a short and often cheap flight, you can get from airplane to campsite in under thirty mins. I know lots of people who honeymooned there as it is stunning. This campsite is as luxurious as you are likely to get for camping. Nice food, nice facilities. You can glamp in a hut with alfresco hot tub. Two huts cost around 100 euro per night. For the kids there's the lake, pool, pet pigs and tobogganing nearby. Affordable, beautiful, unusual. Go for the hot tub and sign up for one of their romantic picnics and it should feel special too. Site below. You need to click on pricing to see brochure.

Http://www.sava-hotels-resorts.com/en/accomodations/sava-hoteli-bled/camping-bled/

pefkos in Rhodes is nice. Would recommend staying at Pefki Islands Resort, it has two swimming pools, kids area, you can also use the facilities in the resort literally a stones throw away. Its close to restaurants etc but not that close where you hear the music etc.