New shops opening

easytiger

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thought it was a shame that the gallery on north

> cross road shut

xxxxxx

So did I, but lately there wasn't much going on there apart from those brilliant automata exhibitions, was there?

When it first opened there were loads of exhibitions there.

Callie Wrote:

> there was never a gallery where Myla & Davis is

> now, not as far as I know

Doesn't the shop displaying those wonderful mechanised models count as a gallery? If my memory serves me right, it had 'Gallery' over the door.

EPB Wrote:

> Callie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > there was never a gallery where Myla & Davis is

> > now, not as far as I know

>

> Doesn't the shop displaying those wonderful

> mechanised models count as a gallery? If my

> memory serves me right, it had 'Gallery' over the

> door.

Indeed! Space Station 65 had a gallery (where Myla & Davis is on North Cross Road) from 2002: http://www.spacestationsixtyfive.com/about.php - they're in Kennington now.

SS65 hosted Cabaret Mechanical Theatre ('those wonderful mechanised models') until Jan 6, this year. CMT can be seen again at a gallery in Greenwich from Dec 12: http://www.cabaret.co.uk/greenwich-exhibition-and-workshops/

galexa Wrote:

> EPB Wrote:

> -----

> > Callie Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > there was never a gallery where Myla & Davis

> is

> > > now, not as far as I know

> >

> > Doesn't the shop displaying those wonderful

> > mechanised models count as a gallery? If my

> > memory serves me right, it had 'Gallery' over

> the

> > door.

>

> Indeed! Space Station 65 had a gallery (where Myla

> & Davis is on North Cross Road) from 2002:

> http://www.spacestationsixtyfive.com/about.php -

> they're in Kennington now.

>

> SS65 hosted Cabaret Mechanical Theatre ('those

> wonderful mechanised models') until Jan 6, this

> year. CMT can be seen again at a gallery in

> Greenwich from Dec 12:

> http://www.cabaret.co.uk/greenwich-exhibition-and-

> workshops/

Thanks for this - really loved the automata - se glad to see its moved on elsewhere nearby... They have an online shop too I think.

H

So what's the solution BigED? How about we allow all the unsuccessful independents to close down, and then ban all chains from renting those sites that are empty. Then we have a high street like most others up and down the country- empty, no footfall, struggling. Great idea! Chains and independents bounce off one another in a successful high street.

Louisa.

DaveR Wrote:

> To be fair, Jigsaw is essentially a successful

> independent rather than a 'homogenised high st

> major'.

Well, it's not homogenised in that the company does have different interior designs for different shops. But the content is pretty well homogenised across stores. And I guess I (in common with many) haven't actually defined what I mean by "independent" (otherwise I couldn't have so much fun slagging off majors). As you say, DaveR, it is successful and, in as much as it remains privately owned, is independent. However, with over 80 stores in the UK plus overseas outlets too, it is pretty major to my way of thinking.

Louisa - the solution is to use small independents when they sell things we like at prices that seem reasonable. And yes, some will go to the wall from time to time, either because they aren't doing enough business or because of rent/rate hikes. Whatever my thoughts about individual businesses small or large, I don't find it a cause for celebration when the majors (yes, including Jigsaw) start taking over small, local high streets as well as dominating the main shopping streets of bigger towns and cities across the UK. Chains and independents may indeed "bounce off one another" for a while, but as a comparison of Lordship Lane now versus 20 years ago (or for a more advanced example, Northcote Road, Battersea) will show, a place where independents have thrived will slowly but surely be taken over by the chains until one day, we will wake up and find ourselves on just another transmogrified identikit high street.

I'll be popping in to Farmer's and the Irish Shop while I still can...

BigED, I have sympathy for your argument re independent high streets, but am not sure if your line of argument proves the point or just the opposite? If an independent high street is thriving, how does it come to be slowly and surely taken over by chains?

Over time, the shops that thrive are those that do the best job of providing the goods and services the area wants (as measured by patronage and custom): if our high streets come to be dominated by chains, surely that is a reflection of our preferences and habits as customers, rather than the often demonised "ambition" of chains? Yes, they go where they hope to find profits, but profits are only there if we, the customers provide them.

And there's the rub: like many on this forum, I would prefer a high street of unique independent shops, each offering an individual curation of items and services, but if I am honest, I do have to think carefully each time I pay ?1.00 for something that might cost 10 or 20p less at a less "independent" store.

And in tougher economic times, these decisions get harder, not easier.

Agree totally with Strae's comments - it all boils down to people voting with their custom. I've lived here for almost 20 yrs and really love (& use regularly) some independents but I've also seen many come & go that I never shopped in because they weren't of interest/too expensive.

I was sad to hear today that the village post office is closing, although there will be a small post office counter opening in Shepherd's apparently.