Rat or Mouse ?

EastDulwichSE22

Pilarica Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> cats will not kill rats...the rats more likely to

> bite the cat...and a shovel to kill the rat will

> give you nightmares for the rest of your

> life......

Sorry but this is not true, we had a cat called Brenda. Spent the whole 18 years of her life being furious...about something, we're still not sure what, any hoooow she sorted out a few fair rats over her lifetime, and pigeons, the odd crow too! She refused to be ill. and we are sure one night just said to herself...Bugger Bognor!!!!! And died on the floor at the base of our book shelves!! (she took to sitting up there away from the other more stupid cats) Still bloody miss her!!

I've had both unfortunately (both also bought in by my cat). The rat lived in our kitchen for two weeks - on the plus side I'm now not scared of mere mice!.I'm with Lewisham council and they come and deal with rats free of charge. If the poo is like a grain of rice it's a rat. Sorry.

Looks a little small to be rat poo; could be young one I guess. I lived in a house in that had loads of rats under the floor boards (sometimes above them) because it was rarely occupied before I moved in. Rats basically had the run of the place. Cat worked a treat but be warned that rats can fight back so your cat better be up to the task. Had a terrier who did his bit a few times as well.

I used lots of snap traps - tied down with string in case the rat was still mobile and dragged it off somewhere to die. Normally heard the trap snap and knew I'd got something. Body in bag, few blows to head to make sure the beast was dead (as much as I hated them, didn't want rats to suffer).

Find any gaps and fill them in squashed up chicken wire. Use that foam filler first if you want to see for sure where they are breaking through. If you have a big gap, make up some cement. Some people recommend adding broken glass to the mix to avoid the rats digging through. Grim, but they will easily dig their way out (mine did).

Above all, make sure you do not have anything to tempt them - not even a crumb. They'll go where the food is.