Yellow box junctions - specifically Peckham Rye/ED Road

Now, I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here, as everyone is very knowledgeable :)

But can everyone please remember that when waiting to turn right onto Peckham Rye from East Dulwich Road at the lights, that you are ALLOWED to enter the yellow box junction and wait, if you are waiting to turn right and are prevented from doing so by ongoing traffic:

From the highway code

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

And of course, the same applies to every other yellow box junction. Then, if more people can move forward and get through the lights each cycle, perhaps there would be slightly less congestion on our roads.

thank you, and Merry Christmas to everyone!

ladywotlunches Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But can everyone please remember that when waiting

> to turn right onto Peckham Rye from East Dulwich

> Road at the lights, that you are ALLOWED to enter

> the yellow box junction and wait, if you are

> waiting to turn right and are prevented from doing

> so by ongoing traffic:

At signalled

> roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you

> can cross over it completely without stopping.

You've confused me as you appear to contradict yourself. THAT right turn is signalled so according to you, you can't enter the box unless you can turn without stopping which never happens, so why are you ALLOWED to? I don't know the law as I thought if you were turning right you could enter the box. I didn't know anything about lights or not. So which is it please?

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty bad drafting of this aspect of the law, not sure if its just the Highway Code itself or the actual drafting of the applicable legislation itself.

I think the distinction that is not explained is that you must not enter if you are going straight ahead but cannot as the traffic is queued to the front of the box, but you may enter and wait if you are turning right - but are unable to due to oncoming traffic.

Given the poor drafting and that most people will go by the HC, it's not surprising that most will tend to be cautious and not enter the box at all (myself included as I can never remember this!).

Probably just confused the situation more I suspect!

Neilson99 you are correct.

However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.

Simply explained - 'however' means it is an exception. Therefore you can enter box to turn right even if you have to stop and wait because of oncoming traffic.