Peckham Rye Stay and Play stopping on a Friday morning

ZoeG

Anyone else disappointed with this? It is moving to Monday afternoons instead after next Fri 17th Jan. This is a really bad move for 2 reasons - afternoons is nap time and the main reason is that I imagine like me a lot of you are part time with Fridays being your day off. I work on a Monday so no longer can go and my son loves it. Perhaps if enough people expresses their disappointment with this change they may move it back to a Friday morning?? Worth a try....

Yes I understand that other people don't work on Mondays but it was really busy this morning (as it always is) suggesting that there are a lot off on a Friday too and as I said for many of a certain age toddlers are asleep in the afternoon - precious nap time. Anyway - maybe they should accommodate with both times.

Hi

I just wrote to the manager at Ivydale Childrens Center (Miles Smith) asking why this is given some of the reasons you have quoted. I imagine a lot of people are in a similar position. I am not working at my son doesn't sleep at lunchtime but it still seems like a strange decision given the number of parents and children that usually attend and the suitability of the location in that it's pretty accessible for quite a lot of different areas. The response I got is that there's some large joint initiatives "Forest School" and parenting sessions being set up which could only work on a Friday meaning this has to be changed. I'm not sure if it's a resource or venue issue. Maybe these new sessions have been decided to be more of a priority? I will let you know if I hear back. It's a real shame as the venue is so accessible for a lot of people and it's hard to find places where our kids can play inside and out in such a safe and stimulating environment. I know things have got to change from time to time but it feels as if it's only just re-opened... If enough people are concerned about this then it's got to be worth a try getting those in charge of the decision to reconsider.

Jenny

I'm also really disappointed that the Friday session is shutting down and I hope there is a way to keep it going. I know things are difficult with community programmes and decisions like this have to be made, but if there is any chance to keep it.....

It's a shame it sounds like the session is closing, but surely no one is blind to the finite funds that children's centres have & their need to support those families who need more help (via parenting initiatives) plus, I think there is also a stay & play session run at Ivydale on a Fri morning which could also be an alternative.

The forest school sounds exciting as I've heard nothing but good things about these from families who've attended them.

I don't know what Forest School is but I am also very sorry to hear these news - I have really enjoyed going with my two. I am sure they are already well aware of the popularity of the session given how many attend but I would like to email as well...could anyone give me the details / email address please? It may not be any good but I remember when a bunch of us from the EDF emailed the Horniman when they were going to stop Busy Bees and due to public demand they did not cancel the sessions.