London attractions - heads up to parents

Crokes

I'm not sure how to start this, but I guess I just wanted to give other parents/carers a heads up.....

My BIL and his family were visiting London for a daytrip at the weekend (as they have done many times), they visited London Aquarium and unfortunately had a horrible, horrible experience. I just wanted to alert others, because it could have been far worse and could easily happen to someone else.

In brief, their younger child (2yrs) appears to have been enticed away with sweets/lollipops by someone in a group of middle-aged adults. The child normally sticks to their parents like glue and it happened when his dad glanced away.

The father of the child immediately told a security guard and then went looking himself for his son (the mother and a sibling stayed where they had last seen their missing son). It was very busy as you'd expect and and a woman said she'd seen a group of adults acting strangely with a young boy (matching his description).

The father went to wait at the aquarium exit and fortunately that's where he found his son (just approaching the exit, mouth stuffed with sweets and holding lots of lollies, accompanyied by a group of adults). The adults claimed not to understand any english so weren't able to explain what had happened.

The child is fine. The whole family is shaken up. The police are investigating this but it's useful to know that the they said that the aquarium security guards should have called them immediately (the father of the child called the police once he'd found his son).

I don't want to scaremonger and the group of adults could be entirely innocent, but I know lots of family room users enjoy visiting London attractions so I just wanted to alert others (it also made me think what I would do in this sort of situation as I'm not sure I would have thought to go to the exit).

That's terrible! Thank you for alerting everybody. Unfortunately London is getting more dangerous and now we need to be more vigilant; it is so easy for children to get distracted and so easy for us as adults to lose them as everywhere you go during school holidays is packed.

Mrs TP - yes, you really would have thought so. My BIL is pressing the police for progress and was hugely concerned that it didn't happen to another child/family.

Newboots/Tiddles/Carbonara - the aquarium staff didn't call the police (the police have said that the aquarium security staff should have done as soon as they were alerted that the child was missing, because the police have set procedures for dealing with this (as you'd expect).

My BIL called the police as soon as he found his son. He told the aquarium security staff to keep the group of adults there (the security staff wanted to let them go) but by the time the police arrived the group of adults had gone (great security work huh? and yes, it's totally bonkers). The family is frustrated, shocked and disappointed by all this as you'd expect. As I wrote above, my BIL is pressing the police for progress; unfortunately it doesn't seem to be getting very far. TBH I can't believe more hasn't been done.

This is honestly beyond belief, what are they thinking not calling the police and then letting them go?! This is my worst nightmare as a mother that my child could be taken. Your BIL must be still so shaken up by this and also be mystified at the behaviour of the security staff. I am glad he found his son, thank god he did. X

That's just what I was thinking duchess. I watched a bit of TV about criminals operating in central London tourist spots, doing all sorts, pickpocketing, street gambling scams etc. When caught they tried the 'sorry, no speak English' response but it took the policeman no time to show how untrue that was.

I think one little boy had a lucky escape.

I think the security guard might have been crooked and nobody dare say so out loud, in case they break employment law.

Very sorry for the family.

• 3 months later...