I hate world book day!

Mrs TP

I am creatively inept - can manage cupcakes - and this whole world book day dressing up stresses me out big time. Thought we were getting off lightly this year with primary school restricting participation to a hat or mask and not even face paint so have ordered a victorian bonnet for one and bunny ears for another off t-internet - lame I know but stress free.

But got a text today from secondary school saying full outfit wanted - argh!

Anyone else similarly filled with dread for this event?

Also note it is not merely a Shakespeare character but your favourite Shakespeare character - not sure my son was aware he had a fave! He's wearing his skull onesie - Yorick. Other possibilities included Bottom (there was an unsurprising objection to this) or Julius Ceaser (bit parky for bare legs)

Miss Oi happened to find her skeleton suit so she's going as one of the Bumps in the Night skeletons. Which is a relief as I thought I was going to have to make her a Meg witch outfit.

I really can't imagine how this exercise is meant to inspire reading, but there you go.

Yes the dressing up is such a pain! Hats off to all the parents out there who have the skills and ideas to create an outfit out of two tea towels and a pair of old tights, but what about the rest of us? No choice but to buy an outfit. Now I have to search for one online and hope that it turns up before Thursday. Sigh.

Jeez I'm up googling "little red riding hood outfits" at 2am... Need to get more sleep, Take in the suggested fav book (we know that's never going to wash!) and think more carefully about what I input into search engines! Some very adult content returned leaving me feeling like I should encourage a bit more lady Macbeth... Less disney...

My daughter is just going as a pirate (this half terms theme at school too). Black jeans, stripe tshirt, pirate hat from the dressing up box and a scarf tied through her belt loops with some ribbon bits and beads 'dreadlock' style in her hair.

I suggest looking on Pinterest under the search term 'DIY kids fancy dress' or some such phrase. Some brilliant things from stuff you would normally have in the house anyway.