Forest Hill Road (opinion on shop fronts and signs)

Can any one tell me how Omrith is getting away with those hideous neon white shop frontage lights? Harsh and tacky. James Barbour??

Also the old chippy is planning to be a kebab shop - never saw any planning re this?? Happy if it just got the skip out of the front though and opened, as messy for months now.

Additionally the grubby yellow shop beside the barber had people going in and out for a while but has not opened. Any idea what is going on?

Would like to say huge thanks to The Galleon Hairdressers who have done an enormous amount to improve this busy and successful but a bit tatty set of shops, love the co-op (!) french cafe, italian restaurant, pharmacy, post-office, DIY shop (but tatty too, though, which is ironic), and then turkish deli always have anything I am needing so I like them - rant over?...

Anstergirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can any one tell me how Omrith is getting away

> with those hideous neon white shop frontage

> lights? Harsh and tacky. James Barbour??

>

Do you have nothing better to worry about then a couple of shop lights?! Really?!

I used to live right by that stretch, for 14 years up until 2011, and I can say that having *any* half-decent shops/businesses on that stretch is a huge improvement to how it was in 1997 when I first moved there.

Businesses along that stretch seem to struggle to summon up enough trade to stay open. The Turkish shop was the first sign of things changing, and I can't sing its praises enough. They seem to have *everything*, including fruit & veg on a Sunday!

Likewise Omrith, albeit now with garish signage, is known for miles around for its great food. I still pop back there from where I live near Lordship Lane, just for the food. The signage is probably a result of them struggling to bring in enough trade though, so don't wish it away... Omrith closing down would be far worse!

It's a shame the old chippy closed, though the opening of Sea Masters (?) down the road probably spelled the end of his monopoly on that street, poor chap. Hope the kebab shop can do better!

I think any business owner with an idea and the balls to open something on that road should, if planning is required, be given the go-ahead :-)

Love Si Mangia and Sea Master. Galleon looks good but too expensive for me. Pharmacy has space, what more does one want? French Cafe, what a turnaround? And the Forest Hill Supermarket is a peach. Post Office great luminous and spacious too. Let's applaud this under-rated stretch. And why not finish it off with a pint at the Herne or the Rose?

I'll second this. LOVE this stretch of road. Great shops and nice staff - try to support them as often as I can...

Use it or lose it!

H

TonyQuinn Wrote:

> Love Si Mangia and Sea Master. Galleon looks good

> but too expensive for me. Pharmacy has space, what

> more does one want? French Cafe, what a

> turnaround? And the Forest Hill Supermarket is a

> peach. Post Office great luminous and spacious

> too. Let's applaud this under-rated stretch. And

> why not finish it off with a pint at the Herne or

> the Rose?

Calm down everyone. I meant the planning re the lights. Sorry! I love Omrith but think they have made their place look tacky now. I also daily support one or other of all these shops, all I am hoping for is the skips that have sat in front of shops all winter to move and things to open!

The risk of losing these shops forever is very real. It would be increasingly difficult for the existing businesses to survive in the upper stretch of Forest Hill Rd, if the council were to allow vacant shops to be converted into residential properties. The latest shop to apply for permission was number 92 - the former TV repair shop. Thankfully, the planning dept have refused permission to convert it into a residential flat.

It has taken ages for these shops to be converted, been a very messy business and not good for Omrith's trade I imagine, hence super bright signs. I'm glad if Mr Coe's tv repair shop at 92 could continue as a commercial business, no doubt good for trade along that stretch. The Turkish is great. I think the French cafe has made a great contribution locally too. Plus the post office being the hub of activity.

Laur Wrote:

> Anyone remember 'Jonathans' newsagents and the

> small sweet shop next door to them? If I recall

> correctly, many many years ago prior to it being a

> chippy it was a Kebab shop!

Yes, my first weekend job when i was about 13 was in Jonathans, the little sweet shop next to the Chinese which I think must have closed down in the 80's was run by an Indian family who had twin girls a year above me at school.

There was a proper butchers, bakers and greengrocers up until the early-mid 90's too.

Before then the little sweet shop which is now the lettings shop (Bizylets) was called Osgoods, the Chinese takeway used to be a dairy shop, the Turkish shop used to be a family greengrocers and what was Bill Coes TV repair shop (before he was forced out by the landlord) was Plaice bakeries (part of a small chain, who also had shops in Forest Hill and Lordship Lane where Badger bakers is now. As Laur said what was the chippy Dolphin Fish bar, used to be a kebab shop.

Never quite sure how the butchers in Woodvale survives, seems to be closed more than its open, shuts at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon, probably the busiest day of the week and on the occasion I've been inside seems to have a very limited display of meat in the inside fridge but the main window is filled with junk and the service is so slow.

What is now the converted flats on the corner of Woodvale and Langton Rise was the Moore Park Hotel/pub.

- As a child I always thought that the man that owned Jonathans was like a Sergeant Major type!

Jonathans was named after his eldest son (he also had a daughter called Rebecca who was an iceskater)and often I would go in there to buy my sweets from the jars behind the counter that were sold by the quarter.

- I remember the Indian sweet shop also, they were always very friendly.

- The family greengrocers that is now the Turkish shop was owned by a man called 'Gordon'

- Lastly the butchers was a traditional butchers with sawdust on the floor:)

My memories of living along that stretch for many many happy years!

Edited to say correct name Gorton not Gordon!

the butchers on Wood Vale is great - he has a well stocked fridge it's just not all out for everyone to see. He's helpful and knowledgable about his products -Well worth getting to before 2pm on a Saturday. I think he survives by having loyal customers who quite enjoy the leisurely pace and chat from time to time. I have seen a whole host of people go in there and buy their meat for the week - so that helps too.

I like our stretch of shops and hope that the old TV repair place stays as a commercial business... though I'm not sure what type!

Johnathans was originally owned by Fred Odhams in the early seventies, the greengrocers was run by Ron Gorton, he always called customers Sir or Madam, obviously depending on gender.

The shop which is now the dry cleaners was an "Unwins" Off Licence. John Osgood, who originally ran the other sweet shop before the Indian family bought it was a mad keen Crystal Palace supporter.I believe the "Mothers Inc" shop was originally an "Express Dairy".

woodland Wrote:

> the butchers on Wood Vale is great - he has a well

> stocked fridge it's just not all out for everyone

> to see. He's helpful and knowledgable about his

> products -Well worth getting to before 2pm on a

> Saturday. I think he survives by having loyal

> customers who quite enjoy the leisurely pace and

> chat from time to time. I have seen a whole host

> of people go in there and buy their meat for the

> week - so that helps too.

>

The name is Libretto and Daughter, and as said don't assume his window is empty means he hasn't got stock, he has.

Wipes the floor with William Rose imho.

K & J Libretto and Daughters I believe. K is Kim, and J his son Jake.

Kim is an excellent,'old school' butcher - he buys either direct from the farm (i.e. his Christmas Turkeys) or from a small number of 'tried and tested' Smithfield traders - he is always aware of the provenence of his food. He tries (except on Saturdays when he does some pre-cutting) to cut off the carcase only against an order/ request - this means that he has little on display but the meat he has in store is intact as possible (and hence in the best condition). This does lead to a quite leisurely service (as meat is being prepared for each customer) - but that is worth the wait. He will always try to fill orders made in advance (if the meat is available in Smithfield) - he buys on Thursday mornings (at about 5:00am) so you need to give him an order before this. He also makes excellent sausages (herby or plain) in two sizes, and boils his own hams to sell cooked slices. His eggs are delivered from a travelling wholesaler weekly - again from a small number of farms. Although he closes at about 2:00 on Saturdays you will see the lights on and him working way past 7:00 that evening, deep cleaning his shop and implements.

He will always give advice on cooking methods and times, if asked, as well as suggesting quantities ('enough for 8, please') if requested. He will also advise on the best cuts for particular types of recipe. His prices (for what he sells) are very fair. His knife grinder (calls fortnightly) will also re-edge customers' knives at a reasonable price. He stocks diamond dusted 'steels' - the best I have ever used for casual knife sharpening.

I have been a customer for over 25 years, and dread him retiring!

(I have no commercial or family interest in this business - just a satified punter!)

Haha. I'd held back on saying any of this as Kim isn't worried about getting new customers, but shopping with him is one of my true pleasures, and well worth the time. We had lamb from him last night that was superb, and his sausages have no equal. He's not the place to go if you want to be in and out in a couple of minutes, but his queues are always full of happy people. People on here talk about wanting independent shops like the old days - well, that's Kim. My mother-in-law loves going there as it reminds her of her childhood.

I believe it was the other way round, Mothers Inc was Unwins and the Chinese takeaway was the Express Dairy shop. I think as long as I can remember the dry cleaners was the same before.

Drxyster Wrote:

> Johnathans was originally owned by Fred Odhams in

> the early seventies, the greengrocers was run by

> Ron Gorton, he always called customers Sir or

> Madam, obviously depending on gender.

> The shop which is now the dry cleaners was an

> "Unwins" Off Licence. John Osgood, who originally

> ran the other sweet shop before the Indian family

> bought it was a mad keen Crystal Palace

> supporter.I believe the "Mothers Inc" shop was

> originally an "Express Dairy".