Benchley gardens hit and run

timwed

You are now assuming the driver was to blame and that speed was an issue. From the information given, it seems to be an unfortunate accident, where the driver is not to blame. Why does everything on this forum seem to turn into an inquistion when vehicles are involved. It's bad enough an elderly lady has been injured. Can't it be left at that?

Not so sure it was just gossip. The neighbour I was standing outside chatting to when the shouting started has since told me he'd spoken to the police later that afternoon: two fatalities, one vehicle abandoned at the scene and the vehicle we witnessed the guys get into and try to speed off down the road with a ruptured tyre abandoned down the bottom.

I'm very wary of spreading rumour. The men we saw were definitely spooked by the police sirens, they ran back to the car and sped off with no regard for the fact the tyre was completely useless. The normal response would be to pull over and check out the damage. The police car came off Brenchley and went down Athenlay so I don't think it was connected with the accident as it was going in the wrong direction for access to the Cemetary :-(

If someone steps out in front of a car, leaving not enough distance for the driver to stop, then it is the pedestrian's fault. Elderly people do step out in front of cars sometimes. The driver hit the brake which shows a reaction to something he or she did not expect. Could the driver have anticipated that the elderly lady was about to cross? We don't know. We weren't there. The Police will decide that. There really is no point in trying to guess what did or didn't happen any more than guessing who is to blame (if anyone is).

ultraburner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pfffth.

>

> I'd play a little less poker if I was you.. bad

> for the heart.

>

> Agree with unlurked.

Based upon what exactly? Your cosmic belief that little old ladies are never at fault? Awwww.

The Minkey Wrote:

> Not so sure it was just gossip. The neighbour I

> was standing outside chatting to when the shouting

> started has since told me he'd spoken to the

> police later that afternoon: two fatalities.

I would suggest your neighbour was getting carried away with themselves.

I reckon sometimes an accident really is an accident, however much people like to apportion blame.

PokerTime Wrote:

> If someone steps out in front of a car, leaving

> not enough distance for the driver to stop, then

> it is the pedestrian's fault. Elderly people do

> step out in front of cars sometimes. The driver

> hit the brake which shows a reaction to something

> he or she did not expect. Could the driver have

> anticipated that the elderly lady was about to

> cross? We don't know. We weren't there. The Police

> will decide that. There really is no point in

> trying to guess what did or didn't happen any more

> than guessing who is to blame (if anyone is).

except the original phrase 'stepping out' implies blame

a normal walking person has to swivel 90 degrees to be in a position to cross a road at 80 that takes a few seconds , long enough for 20mph to notice and slow. Its not exactly teeming with people.

Yeah maybe the driver wasn't paying enough attention. Or going too fast.

Or maybe the woman walked out into the road between parked cars and the driver wasn't able to stop in time?

Who knows what happened? And why pretend that you know what happened just to make a point? Some people... FFS...

Thanks for keeping us informed but there was definitely something very serious going on along Athenlay Rd, I spoke to one of the officers briefly at around 6pm that evening and was told that it was a Road Rage incident. There were numbered forensic markers in the road and forensics photographing the scene. Several properties on both sides of the street were taped off.

Renata maybe you could find out what Happened along Athenlay Rd?

Personally I would like to know what's been happening at the top of our street!

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> It was an accident. At 3.15pm, a lady in her 80s

> was crossing the road near the cemetery and

> stepped out in front of a car. The car braked but

> was unable to stop in time and sadly the elderly

> lady suffered serious injuries. Brenchley Gardens

> was temporary closed and the P12s were on

> diversion down Athenlay Road. I hope that the lady

> makes a good and speedy recover and am thinking of

> her friends and family at this time.

>

> Renata

Nothing "cosmic" about being sad at an old lady being hit by a car loz, so spare your awwwing.

Along that stretch of road it should not happen; its a wide road with good visibility that rarely has any parked cars with a 20mph limit in broad daylight.

I travel to work at about 20mph and I can stop in about 15 ft or less at that speed if I'm paying attention. Old ladies don't tend to dart into the road like a teenager might.

Not massively interested in the art of disagreeing poker; a very old lady (maybe senile/not all there who knows?) has been hurt yet your post seems to scan "ahh well, accidents do happen...."

ultraburner Wrote:

> Nothing "cosmic" about being sad at an old lady

> being hit by a car loz, so spare your awwwing.

Being sad is understandable and commendable. But you weren't saying that, were you? You were saying it was all someone else's fault based on... ermm, absolutely no evidence whatsoever. Just your own magical belief that little old ladies could never, ever be responsible for such a thing.

Bit of a difference, isn't it?

Anna27 Wrote:

> And why is it gossip if his neighbour was a witness...

gossip - noun 1. casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details which are not confirmed as true.