Donnie Darko

jumpinjackflash

"utter bag of toss"

Hardly, it's well made, well acted, the 80s feel is good, there are some good comedy moments and my health worker step ma felt it was pretty straight in its dealings with schizophrenia.

All dressing on a pretty good if standard fare coming-of-age movie.

Yeah the hype and cult status thanks to a couple of renta-twists, got out of proportion with the actual quality of the film, it's a good but it's not a great film by any stretch, but bag of toss? I don't think so.

EDIT: Ooh, been a awhile!

Sorry mockney

Just not my cup of tea. And you never know sometimes you can miss the decency of a film based on your mood at the time. Having said that the DVD is on my shelf and unlikely to get watched again so if anyone wants to buy it off me for something a little bit more than the worth of a Bradford & Bingley share... its theres!

Paul

I've watched it several times, and still enjoy it.

Don't think of it as "dreaming", I think that's an over-simplification. I think the bulk of the film is supposed to be set in a parallel universe. Then at the end, Donnie closes up the parallel universe, and returns to the point where it originally branched off - i.e. when the engine falls through the roof.

Sean - I'll just about give you the first Pirates film - the second was total rubbish and I have to admit I can't comment on the third as I didn't even bother to watch it.

Back to DD - I wonder how many films that are so good on first viewing can take several repeat watchings.

That's quite alright Ingenuity, I totally understand someone not liking the film, I was just saying that's on its own merits it's not a bad film as such.

I forced myself to watch about 10 minutes of Battlefield Earth on tv the other night, just to remind myself what truly eyewateringly awful film making is about.

Moments like that make you a little less harsh on a merely OK title.

Mockney.... how on earth did you manage 10 minutes of that (the one with John Travolta right?)????

That must have included getting up to make a cuppa or something???

That is a shocker. I tried watching one a week or so ago on C4 with Christian Bale and Sean Bean in it, cant remember what it was called but it was a bit of a '1984' rip off. I didnt get into that one either and when moaning about it to my fellow director was told it was one of his favourite films.... maybe i should get through the pain barrier of films and be more hard core!!!

Paul