El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> to be vaguely serious for a second, i'd go Two

> Headed Boy pt II, Jed's Other Poem or Suddenly

> Everything Has Changed for reflection/melancholy

> and maybe something like Mathematically Safe or

> Jake Summers to cheer every one up as they head

> off to the pub.

Could you pick something a little less mainstream please.

The sad ones aren't terribly off piste, neutral milk hotel, grandaddy and [the] flaming lips.

And most of my mates like half man half biscuit, so assuming they outlive me we should be ok ;) ... well, not me obviously.

A lot of the songs that I like and think would be good at a funeral just don't reflect my life. I like 'Hurt' but I imagine my wife and family and friends would be a bit confused if they heard it at my funeral. So I'm looking for a song that says 'I've had a good life, I'm sorry to go, and while I want you all to mourn me for my allotted 30 minutes please get on with your lives thereafter', in a suitably somber way. Any suggestions?

"At My Funeral"

I'm still young, but I know my days are numbered

1234567 and so on

But a time will come when these numbers have all ended

And all I've ever seen will be forgotten

[CHORUS]

Won't you come

To my funeral when my days are done

Life's not long

And so I hope when I am finally dead and gone

That you'll gather round when I am lowered into the ground

When my coffin is sealed and I'm safely 6 feet under

Perhaps my friends will see fit then to judge me

Oh when they pause to consider all my blunders

I hope they won't be too quick to begrudge me

If I should die before I wake up

I pray that the Lord my soul will take but

My body, my body - that's your job

I can't be sure where I'm headed after death

To heaven, hell, or beyond to that Great Vast

But if I can I would like to meet my Maker

There's one or two things I'd sure like to ask

They're not everyone's cup of tea (in fact I'm not sure they're ANYone's cup of tea other than mine), but I always loved Crash Test Dummies lyrics, there's something very human and sweet about them.

my mum just said she wants 'always look on the bright side of life' which I thought rather nice.

Just thought 'It's the Sun' by those happy clapper cultists polyphonic spree would be apposite, one last middle finger hurrah to the Irish climate.....

According to my crematorium insider, specific funeral music requests - made by the deceased - are rare.

Those that die younger - don't tell anyone.

Those that die older - either forget or can't be arsed.

More often than not the surviving next of kin plays something the departed 'went off' ten years prior.

I am a Humanist Funeral Celebrant. I have yet to be asked for McGuinness Flint's When I'd Dead and Gone (which I love!) but lots of people have Eric Idle's classic. At my cousin's, a true rock mad guy, it was a Humanist Funeral, we went into Ace of Spades then all seven minutes of Stairway to heaven in the middle. People did not know whether to laugh or cry so we all did both all the way through. Went out to something by Grateful Dead. "Dying" by XTC still makes me weep.

At my Mum's funeral we had Bridge over Troubled Water ( Simon and Garfunkel) Time to say Goodbye Russell Watson and Hayley Weismera, and Michael Ball - Let him go from Les Mis.

A friend sent his mourners out of the church with When the Saints go marching in with instructions to dance up the aisle. Daughter's mother in law had You are the sunshine of my life.

I fancy a bit of Tom Jones, ABBA - not sure which songs yet. What about Status Quo - Rocking all over the World- that would wake everyone up.

I am sure hubby will want Cream, Jimi Hendrick or Beatles

Yup we loved the irony of Stairway to Heaven! But there are no rules (except in religious funerals). You could have the whole ceremony full of music if you wanted, or rather if the person who had died had insisted. You could have it at the house or an open space, then nip back (or not, your choice) to the crematorium. Americans tend not to attend the cremation. Another band would be Christian Death, that would be a fun band to hear from at a humanist funeral.