skateboard hit and run this morning on Bellenden

pinecone

DuncanW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why was she calling the police anyway?

> Had a crime been committed?

Generally speaking, it seems reasonable that if the responsible party in a road accident is refusing to accept responsibility then the police should be asked to mediate. Now, I can't imagine the police would come out for anything less than a proper smash-up, but even so, I can understand it being her first reaction.

But aren't we not meant to discuss blame under insurance terms ?

No insurance and it's just murky - but a solicitor would probably also say don't discuss blame I'd think..

Jeremy Wrote:

> DuncanW Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Why was she calling the police anyway?

> > Had a crime been committed?

>

> Generally speaking, it seems reasonable that if

> the responsible party in a road accident is

> refusing to accept responsibility then the police

> should be asked to mediate. Now, I can't imagine

> the police would come out for anything less than a

> proper smash-up, but even so, I can understand it

> being her first reaction.

• 3 weeks later...

I briefly witnessed this spectacle and the description of the event isn't perhaps the most accurate. The main detail missing was how irate the scooter driver was after the small crash, indeed one would be shaken up to say the least, but the skateboarder was extremely apologetic and made efforts to help the scooterist take her bike to the side etc. the scooterist's behaviour was clearly hostile and rude despite the skateboarders apologetic nature.

"It was an accident on his part", "he's not a motorised vehicle", "why could she not break in time to see the skateboard?"... all good points.

Essentially though the skateboarder was co-operative and then this hostile behaviour scared him away, he would have probably stuck around if not for this, this whole situation is merely a product of the scooterists inability to refrain from relentlessly insulting the skateboarder for what was clearly an ACCIDENT.

Did you actually witness this whole event?

I was the individual involved, and yes I was incensed at the man's reckless and irresponsible behaviour..I was extremely luck not to be more seriously injured (and unlucky only to have third party insurance!)

I was on the main road and fortunately not going very fast when i saw the skateboarder out in front going fast right down the centre of the road. My initial reaction was "he's crazy to do this, and he's not wearing a helmet, he could do himself an injury" not thinking that he might hurt someone else. He lost control of the board and it careered into my path, and no, I wasn't close to him otherwise he might've been injured?luckily for him he just hurt someone else.

DRsmith?have you ever come off a motorbike? I was extremely lucky that nothing was right behind me , or coming towards me. I was in a state of disbelief and shock?plus my bike was damaged. Yes the man was there when I was helped up, but when I suggested that he might have been responsible, he said he didn't have any insurance, and didn't have to pay, and while he'd give me his name, he wasn't prepared to give me his address. How would you have felt .Would you have said "Gosh that was a close one eh! Never you mind laddie, off you tootle..don't you worry,hope it doesn't put you off skateboarding like that in future.Don't worry just a few cuts and bruises...I'll pay for the damage? and I'm sure they won't mind me being late for work"??? Give over mate. He was in the wrong, and he knew it at the time, but thanks to people like you he might now think otherwise. I'd like to say I hope it happens to you?see how you feel, but I wouldn't wish it on any one (except maybe the skateboarder)

• 2 weeks later...

edcam Wrote:

> Anybody over the age of 14 who still uses a

> skateboard is a dick. Th under 14s still using

> them should not be on the roads.

What about surfing? Skiing? Football? Cycling? Which activities should you stop past the age of 14 Edcam?

rahrahrah Wrote:

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Anybody over the age of 14 who still uses a

> > skateboard is a dick. The under 14s still using

> > them should not be on the roads.

>

>

> What about surfing? Skiing? Football? Cycling?

> Which activities should you stop past the age of

> 14 Edcam?

Nope - just skateboarding. It's for kids and fools.