Good streets to live/buy in?

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I was responding to redrouge who said St Anthony's was "catholic but not overly so".

I know its a faith school. I know no-one is forcing me to send my children there.

I have no problem whatsoever with people practising the religion of their choice. I'm an atheist myself but I recognise and value the place religion and the stories that come out of, or make up, a religion has. Religions and religious texts often seem to have a lot of interesting and useful things to say about how to be a human and in an educational environment that encourages curiosity this can't be a bad thing.

I have a very big problem with state funding being provided for religions to run schools and for them to be able to act in an exclusive way. Some church schools have policies which make them open to the wider community. St Anthony's absolutely does not. St Anthony's is the school, closest to my house and in an ideal world I'd like my child to attend her local school.

I know this has gone a bit off topic but I thought I ought to follow up.

I think home schooling is a very interesting idea but I don't think I could possibly hope to have the resources and knowledge available to give my children the rounded education I'd hope for them. I think it might work in an interesting way in a community setting where those resources could be shared (ie different people with different skills take on different tasks for a group of children). But I think if I extend this logically this is just a school with good parental involvement!

As far as greasing up (to) friars are concerned I don't which is his good side is and whether I'd be required to rub or simply baste it.

We are moving to Nunhead. leaving East Dulwich behind! We love ED, but the house prices have forced us out. With a little bay girl we wanted a bigger house, a bigger garden and some space. Hmmmm. In ED that would cost us nearly ?700k probably.

Nunhead is the next East Dulwich. There are some fantastic properties there and the house prices are starting to rise rapidly as people like me get forced to the ED fringes.

Schools aren't the best but hopefully in a few years as others move in that should change. You can't base your entire life on school catchment areas at the end of the day.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Even if I had the money, I'd never send a

> son/daughter to DC or JAGS!!!!!

I'm told JAGS is not just an academic treadmill - music, theatre, art etc. also big there, and they do lots of work with local schools. But judging by the evidence of one of my neighbours, parents who send their children to such schools are relentless in getting value for money - always on the poor kids' cases about homework.

Louisiana

I concur!

The pretty little cottages just down from the Old Nuns Head pub are supposed to be where the convent was, and it is rumored that there are underground escape passages below the Green. The Abbottess's head was allegedly chopped off during the reformation, poor soul.

Nunhead is one of my favourite places, especially the fabulous cemetery.

spymum

(Blog; Posh Mum)

[rant]

Catholic schools as a primary influence on location?

What was it the Nazarene said.. "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto Me: for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven"

It sort of implies that conscientious adults had no wish to indoctrinate their children, so Gary Sky Fairy had to threaten them with the unknown terror of 'hell' to gain an opportunity.

Get them when they're young? It's sicko time!

[/rant]

My favourite street is Nutfield Road, and my favourite house are the ones Nutty snapped in the snow.

I do worry that someone's going to cut down those beautiful cherry-blossom looking trees on a subsidence ticket though.

Gary Glitter would not be welcome there!

yes, I was reading about the disappearing trees of london and indeed there have been a few around our way too.

I like Melbourne Grove and it's offshoots (no pun intended, but it _is_ still quite leafy). There are some weird and wonderful houses round there. Especially the house that taste forgot. May have to get some snaps of it this weekend.

With regard to the spittle spattered anti-religious Gary Glitter innuendo driven explosion from H. Did anyone even suggest that Catholic schooling was a reason for moving to a particular street? In your quest for a rant you seem to have omitted to wipe the blear from your trendy specs and actually read the posts...

I'm not sure anyone was suggesting that a vigorous Catholic education was a good one. On the contrary, it seems a shocking shame that a perfectly serviceable school building and state subsidy should be squandered on such nonsense. The school manages to acheive excellent exam results but at what cost to the psyche of the children in its care I wouldn't like to guess at.

Still, at least the little lovelies will be getting a splendid introduction to high camp - bells and smells, the cult of a iconographic woman, all that dressing up and glamourous gold and beautiful statues.

Never lived there, but always thought the gardens looked nice in a hidden away / magic / historiacal kind of way..... That said, I haven't been there for ages either, so it could be a dump now for all I know :-S

No spittle bawdy-nan, just having fun. How do you know I have Trendy Specs, having you been stalking me? :))

I must have misinterpreted the enquiry for school catchment areas followed by "Just need to get in with Fr O'Connor and you're set!"

It seemed to imply that it was a good thing and worth some house planning & subterfuge to get in with religious group (no particular concern about Catholics). Sorry for any misunderstanding!

I don't believe that any indoctrination of vulnerable children in any religion (no matter whether its vigorous on not) is something to aspire to. I find the casual social acceptance of the concept to be a little disturbing. The Gary Glitter was someone else's idea - I was merely musing as to the possible connection. ;-)

Hence the choice of street to be in the catchment of a religious school seemed a worrying motivation, and if newcomers shared similar concerns they may get the wrong idea about ED!

If you find somewhere over on the underhill road/woodvale side of East Dulwich then you might be able to apply to Fairlawn and Horniman Primary Schools. They are both very good and IMHO much better than Goodrich and Heber.

Chuff