Best brownies in East Dulwich

Smiler

Controversially, can i bring a favourite nunhead/peckham borders brownie-buying spot into the equation? The frog on the green deli does truly A-mazing homemade brownies, cakes (carrot & walnut = my fave) and flapjacks...i get rather over-excited just looking at them through the glass counter..worth a little walk off the beaten track for any true cake afficionado ;) (plus the staff are always really friendly...i should get a free brownie for this, surely)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This place is not in ED but nearby in Camberwell. They also have a stall at Borough Market. It's called the Cinnamon Tree Bakery(website available) and I tried one of their brownies last week. Very similar to the ED Deli ones, only bigger and they have some white chocolate bits in them. They will do mail order but unfortunately you can't pick up from Camberwell. They also supply to some retail outlets in London, but none in East Dulwich. Tom's in Westbourne Grove is one retail outlet. They only cost ?1.50 at Borough.

• 7 months later...

Now I am hungry and the low-fat probiotic yoghurt is not satisfying!

Disagree on the cupcakes bestnames, they have their place, though more for pretty-appeal than taste.

Have not yet had decent slice of carrot cake in ED, boo.

There was a nice new cakes, pies and pastries stall on Northcross Road, quite far up, a couple of weekends ago, not sure if was a one-off or regular thing.

And where do I buy these brownies???? They sound amazing!!

sophiesofa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Last week I cooked a lovely batch of brownies and

> put some chopped up cadburys caramel bar in it -

> absolutely amazing gooeyness, might try a curl

> wurly in it next time.

Unfortunately they nearly all end up in my belly! Just add a chopped up caramel bar to any brownie recipe. If you want a good recipe let me know - I use a womens institute one :-$ (not that i'm in the WI, just a WI chocolate book form the ?2 bookshop in greenwich).

That would be fantastic Sophie. I'd love to get my hands on a good brownie recipe.

My mother in law occasionally makes amazing brownies but refuses to share the recipe - something to do with it being a family secret (although why she cant pass it down to her daughter I dont know!).

I've just stumbled across this thread and am clearly now in need of chocolate brownie....! I never used to be a big fan of brownies, but started making them for other people (and then tasted some and decided I quite like them...). I like them to be gooey on the inside with just a thin layer of crispiness on top. I've cut and pasted the recipe I use below in case it's of any interest (it seems like a LOT of sugar, but the brownies are quite rich so it goes a long way, or at least that's what I like to tell myself!):

Ingredients

200g butter

200g good quality plain chocolate

600g golden caster sugar

4 large eggs

250g plain flour

4 tablespoons cocoa

Method

Preheat your oven to 180C.

Grease a rectangular roasting tin or oven proof dish which measures approximately 8" x 12" (20 x 30cm) and line with baking parchment (not greaseproof paper as this will stick to the brownies!).Melt the butter and chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. Make sure that the bowl doesn't touch the water inside the pan and be careful not to let the water come into contact with the chocolate as this could make it all go horribly wrong.

Cool the chocolate and butter mixture slightly and then stir in the caster sugar. Whisk the eggs and add then a little at a time, making sure they are well blended before adding more.

Sift the flour and cocoa into the mixture and beat until smooth.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. It may take up to 50 minutes to cook, depending on your oven, but you don't want to over cook it or your brownies will be too dry. To get the right consistency the mixture needs to be just cooked, so start testing with a cocktail stick after about 40 minutes ? there should be moist crumbs clinging to the cocktail stick, but not wet batter.

Cool the brownies in the tin slightly and then mark into pieces. Depending on how big you want your brownies to be, this mixture will make between 15 and 24 pieces. It is fairly rich though so you may just want to make mini sized brownies, in which case you could make 32 pieces.

Leave the brownies in the tin until they are completely cold, then turn out onto a board and cut into pieces along the pre-marked lines.

I use light brown sugar in mine and chocolate but not cocoa. Also only 2 eggs and small amount of flour - quarter of a cup. Also vanilla, butter and salt. I made mine in an 8" x 8" pan. I have another recipe which calls for cocoa and chocolate and want to try that as well.

Cate - Depending on the type of chocolate you use, I would add natural vanilla extract to this recipe too! It just depends on the type of chocolate really as I find some woek well with vanilla but others have more fruity flavours (Madagascan for example tastes quite citrusy to me). I think a nuttier sugar would work well too (I definitely prefer the golden caster to the normal bleached caster sugar) - Billingtons do some really tasty sugars which I've been testing recently. I might have to experiment with your alternative sugar idea....!

The cocoa adds a different level to the chocolate flavour - I like the use of both chocolate and cocoa to get that richness.