Best brownies in East Dulwich

Smiler

The recipe I used was American. I used 60g Green and Black dark chocolate that I had. And I used Billingtons light brown sugar. I think you need a lot less sugar if you use the brown type. Might try the dark brown next. I found a brownie recipe on a site called How to Cook Like Your Grandmother which I will probably try next. My finishing flourish to make brownies look festive is to sift some icing sugar over the top.

Wow - I know it's a bit of a trek for a humble brownie - but I thought by now someone would have mentioned the brownie 'tower' at Borough market. Incredible brownies in a jenga-like formation - mmmmm. Mine's the one on the very bottom 'whoops they've all fallen down they must be seconds now'. :))

The same stall also does white chocolate and bacardi cake - corrrr!

But - my cake of choice is the florentine, and the cheese block does a fab one. Lots of dark choccie on the bottom...slather, slather.

How long until tomorrow's opening time??

Added to the list we have also tried Blackbird Bakery - but dry and less chocolate than ED Deli.

I went to Blackbird for the first time the other week, brownie was huge, and couldn't have had more chocolate in it. I could only manage half, but I'm not a big chocolate eater.

To be honest I think our brownie's are best, home made on site at The Old Nun's Head. However I am biased so come and try for your self.

We also have cake from Ceri of EDF fame this week it is Chocolate Orange!

Cheers,

Dan

www.theoldnunshead.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
The only one I haven't tried is The Old Nuns Head. Jack's brownie is good slightly microwaved so it becomes gooey. I recently tried another one from The Frog on the Green and thought the quality had gone downhill. There was a discernible taste of coffee which I didn't like.

• 2 weeks later...
I usually enjoy the brownies from Lucas (not as much as the French Cafe ones, still the best in my opinion), but bought some on Saturday and was really disappointed - very dry and crumbly. Usually they're moist and gooey, the walnut ones are the nicest, but it seems the recipe had changed. I hope they revert back to the old ones, much nicer.

I was given a brownie from lucas one on monday and had one mouthful chucked the rest away because it tasted and had the consistency of stale cake. Will not be trying them again and they looked dry so they should never have been put on sale in the first place if they knew they were a dodgy batch.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for ressurecting an old thread....but there's good reason!

Inspired by this seemingly endless thread about where to buy the best chocolate brownies in and around East Dulwich we decided to hold a tasting of all the chocolate brownies we could find in East Dulwich (along with a few mentioned on this thread from nearby) to put them to the test. We bought them all on a Saturday morning so that they were fresh and got together to get tasting the very same day...it was an arduous task, but someone had to do it :)

Not everyone has the same tastes or is looking for the same thing, but the clear winner on the day, at ?1.80 per slice, was the brownie from Dolce Vita Catering who have a stall outside The Cheese Block on Lordship Lane on a Saturday.

The runners up were the Choc Star brownies from Wild Caper (Brixton) and the incredibly buttery fudge-like brownie from ED Deli (Lordship Lane).

If you're short of something to do (!) (or genuinely interested...) you can read more about it here. We'd love to know if you agree or disagree or whether we missed a gem...

Unfortunately, the best brownies aren't to be found in ED because it doesn't have a Leon.

Leon's brownie ingredients include almond flour, 70% dark chocolate and a soupcon of orange oil - uber-moist & toothsome, they score 10/10 on the moreish scale - perfect for those of us who have to avoid gluten ;-)