Cyclist danger area (behind Old Kent Road)

Carol

Unfortunately another incident this evening in this area. Cycling home down Cooper's Road on the cycle route I was attacked by a group of youths who threw a hard stone-like object at me which hit me on the jaw. And yes it hurt. Managed to stay on and didn't stop but they were around 18, wearing hoodies with scarves over their faces. It is very dark indeed down that road.

Rang the police when I got home and they said they'd do a drive by.

Am now fine but just find it rather sad.

Do be careful.

Jonsuissy,

I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you.

I cycled south down Cooper's Road this evening at about 17:30 and two youths of similar age to those you describe stood on the corner of Cooper's Road and Brodie St shouted a tirade of inappropriate and sexualised abuse at me. It only stuck in my mind (such abuse is sadly pretty much a daily occurrence) because they carried on with their rant until i was well past the left turn into Mawbey Place. Don't know if they are anything to do with the scum bags you encountered. You are right, that road is very dark (and very potholed)...atleast soon the evenings will be light again...can't wait. Alice

Alice

You were about 5 minutes before me and yes they were on the corner of Brodie Street, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was them.

Like you, I normally go left into Mawby Place but suddenly felt rather threatened last night as its even darker and more exposed down there.

Do take care around there.

(Not looking forward to cycle home tonight!)

Jon

Can I suggest a mob handed approach? Not suggesting violence of course!

What i mean by that is wait, as I do sometimes for one or two cyclists to catch me up and then I follow as best I can.

Or perhaps Southwark Cyclists could help with this for a while with members waiting wearing yellow tabards or summat for 3/4/5 cyclists to arrive and then riding through?

Says Andy as a Southwark Cyclists member

This is all so very frightful. I have been reading this thread over and over again over the last few days, and I feel really strongly that we should make Dulwich a gated community. Peckham is just vile and should be avoided at all costs. I was considering visiting Morrison's for my weekly shop (well Ocado is social death around here at the moment), but have decided that it is far too dangerous for me.

I am sending my au pair to the supermarket for me instead.

Really now, something radical MUST be done.