PCSO's stopping and fining cyclists (on ED Road)

d803cn

A bike is a mode of transport, just like a motorbike or a car. You are not allowed to ride on pavements or through parks. And just because a bike is powered by natural means, doesn't make it exempt. Be thankful that you are unregistered and free from road tax and obey the highway code!

Rant over.

AcedOut Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A bike is a mode of transport, just like a

> motorbike or a car. You are not allowed to ride

> on pavements or through parks. And just because a

> bike is powered by natural means, doesn't make it

> exempt. Be thankful that you are unregistered and

> free from road tax and obey the highway code!

>

> Rant over.

What about rollerskates?

Those trainers with wheels in?

I think I am with DaveR on this one. Be considerate. Fine the inconsiderate. Don't fine people who are not doing any harm. Use some judgement.

How about they allow pedestrians to hand out fines to cyclists who insist on breaking the law by using the pavements? Self-policing is the way forward and will save our tax money!

I really feel that bikes should be registered to cycle within London at least. I'm not sure how the number plates would work, but something needs to be done to make cyclists feel more responcible for their actions.

I'm very much pro-cycling, but the minority spoil it for everyone else.

And what if "they" keep inventing new ways to travel with wheels. I mean how much space have we got?

Bus lane cycle lane special lanes for the Olympic teams to travel (yeah, right), lanes for skateboarders.

It's crazy.

Walkers walk on pavements, cross when it is SAFE to do so, everyone else goes on the one road.

Is that how it should be?

As I don't ride my bike on the pavement, it's not gonna be a problem. Most cyclists stick to the road.

It's a generalisation, but I've noticed that it tend to be the yoof, invariably without lights and helmet, who are the culprits as well as Mummies and their children.

If you do not feel safe to ride on the road, you shouldn't be on a bike, the pavement'a for walking. One real bubear is the endless cyclists who use the paths along the river on the South Bank.

So if you aren't a very good cyclist, you shouldn't be on a bike. So how to you practise to become a good cyclist?

There are some places where pavements are hardly used and cycling on them makes life easier and safer for cyclists and motorists. But in others, like Lordship Lane, cyclists on pavements are dangerous. Surely the best thing is a little bit of common sense.

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >>So if you aren't a very good cyclist, you

> shouldn't be on a bike. So how to you practise to

> become a good cyclist?

> The perimeter road in Dulwich Park?

Ah yes, you'd get very good at going round in circles. Maybe you could enforce traffic rules on prams, then you'd get junction practice and everything...

On several occasions I have been nearly knocked down by cyclists and their children often wearing (horror of horrors) Dulwich College, Alleyns or JAGS blazers. What is the world coming to if the leaders of society (irony alert) teach their children by example to break the law?

On one occasion my wife was walking along the pavement but had to step smartly out of the way to avoid being hit by a guy actually cycling on the pavement with his dog on a lead. And about a year I was nearly knocked over by the cyclist who went through a pelican crossing on red and was most abusive when I pointed out to him the error of his ways.

I'm very pleased that someone is at last doing something to try to stop this curse. Until cyclists start to behave with the law they will get very little sympathy from me

Very true. I used to very occasionally use little stretches of pavement when cycling before my bike got nicked. For example, cycling over Kew Bridge...nice wide pavement where you can not endanger pedestirans, near death experience by road. For the most part I do think cyclists should stick to roads, it does annoy me being nearly knocked down by inconsiderate cyclists. But introducing fines would mean common sense couldn't be used when it really is just common sense and courtesy.

Cdonline - in my experience it's the yoof, the mummies, fit young people on racing bikes, middle aged men in suits and once, the city of london police. The yoof are generally the best as your average teenager on a bmx can stop and change direction remarkably quickly.

Well if children aren't be allowed to cycle on pavements then I'd like to see a whole load more proper cycle paths - especially mapping decent routes to schools and to and from parks. It seems to me that ity wouldn't be too hard.

There is a ludicrous problem of children being dropped off at school by car - surely something we should be discouraging.

A really good option is cycling - its healthy and sets good habits - (ie getting used to the idea that journeys of less than 2 miles are easily acheived without a car). Mostly children, especially the younger ones, are very careful and polite. Often, the pavements are clear (except, of course, in busy shopping areas).I would love to see most chidlren geting to school by bike and there's very little reason why this shouldn't happen (except for dangerous drivers, illegality of cycling on pavemnts and now where to store bikes once you're there).

The fact is that prams and slow walkers and browsers and dawdlers take up lots of room on pavements. There always seenm to be fights going on between cyclists and motorists and pedestrians its a shame.

No one is allowed to cycle on pavements. Age has nothing to do with it. I cycled on the road to school as a kid and never had any issues. If someone is not confident on a bike, then they should either do a cycling proficiency course (I would recommend), or not cycle at all.