Mackerel the cat

EDLove

She is a gorgeous little cat with crimped fur and a grumpy face. She is often seen in the Ed shop on North Cross Road and seems to be well known in the area. We often see her on Fellbrigg Road (where she lives) when we're walking home from work and she loves to stop us for a chat and a cuddle. To be honest, I have fallen completely in love with her, as well as her sister.

So, I was absolutely devastated to see pictures of her and her sister, as well as several flowers, attached to a lamp-post on Whately Road this morning.

Can anyone tell me what's happened to her/her sister?

Thank you.

We knew that cat as "Mac" or "Max" - a Devon or Cornish Rex with a pirates collar. We once helped her to climb out of a tree in which she had become stuck, and her normal grumpy face became an amusing mixture of half grumpy and half grateful. She is (or was) a great character. I hope that she hasn't gone to that great cattery in the sky.

Oh noooo! I loved seeing Mackerel out and about. I also rescued her from a tree once Zebedee! I remember once seeing her have a contented nap right in the middle of Ulverscroft Road. Cars had to stop coming up and down the road and people were trying to shoo her away but she refused to budge. Hope her stubbornness wasn't what got her in the end.

I also remember seeing her in EDs around Halloween. The staff had created a spooky shop display complete with pumpkins and cauldrons - Mackerel had climbed in and sat there like the witch's cat - occasionally turning her head and scaring the beejesus out of people who were walking by and thinking she was a stuffed animal.

My wife's parents used to live next to the A3 in the days when it passed through Esher (before the bypass was opened). On one occasion they heard a number of cars hooting and went outside to see that their bloody minded Bassett hound was lying in the middle of one of the main trunk roads to the south west!

Thank you for letting us know kaz@263.

It's such upsetting news; Mackerel (or Macaroni as we liked to call her), was such a special little thing.

It is nice to read the stories about her - we also had to 'rescue' her from trees on a few occasions and, as she often tried to follow us home, would have to carry her back to her front door. One of the first times I saw her, she was in the Ed shop on North Cross Road, curled up in a box of knitted socks. Absolutely gorgeous.

Mackerel was my cat :(

She was such a little rascal and loved all the fuss everyone gave her.

She was a real streetwise little thing, but obviously she was caught out in the end.

I wouldn't have changed anything about her life which was full of adventure.

Me and her sister (Banksy) miss her more than anything.

We held a memorial service on Sunday at Fellbrigg and Whately Road where she was killed. Sadly someone has now taken down all the flowers and tributes that people left there...

I'm not sure why, but at least Mackerel's memory lives on here through all of you who have expressed your sadness.

Please look out for Banksy who, although not as flirty as Mackerel, likes being fussed over too!

I think the South London Press are prating an article about her in tomorrow's paper which is a nice sentiment.

Thank you everyone for your kind words xxx

The Rainbow Bridge

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over? together.

xx