One for the Boxing fans!

Keef

Perhaps AC will advise.

On another note, we are only a few weeks away from the next Super Six Tournament contests and I am really keen to see how Froch/Kessler get it on, I actually don't care to make a prediction, I'm happy just to see how it unfolds.

With Danny Green joining, though I don't envy his task of facing Ward, we say goodbye to Taylor who's moves I always loved. I am hoping the format of a super-6 rolls-out to a few other divisions. Can you imagine a Welterweight super-6 and Mayweather NOT joining because there's 'no money' in it !! Of course he's hang around to fight the winner but that wouldn't be the same as proving his mettle via the tournament. Bizzare situation we're in when in many folk's eyes the super-6 holds more meaning than existing world belts and their rating systems, mandatory defence rules etc etc...

Well, in general the rule is that if you get up and then fall down again, the ref is obliged to stop the fight. The inference being that you are not in control of your faculties. What you don't see from the clip is that afterwards Zab tried to attack Jay Nady (the ref) with a corner stool after attempting to punch him.

I can never see Khan beating Mayweather under any circumstances I'm afraid. I just think he still has too many flaws to iron out. Mayweather would just pick away at them. Remember, Freddie Roach has said that he took 8 years to get Manny to where he is now. I think Khan still needs similar work and somewhere along the line someone will land one on his chin again. Floyd will be gone by then.

Who's speed wins out? I think Mayweather's because he uses it with more intelligence.

I think I see what you mean about Tommy Hearns, but I think his style (I'm assuming you mean the semi-cross arm guard) was employed to more devastating effect. Hearns' punches were longer (as you'd expect with those arms) He stalked and relied on huge leverage and power coming from the feet to the hips to the torso, whereas Kahn's power comes more from 1. his speed and 2. his rythmn, but I guess you could argue that there were similarities.

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd rather get hit by Khan I think (but I'd really rather not!) Some of Hearns' knockouts were just chilling - Pipino Cuevas and Roberto Duran to name but 2. Khan's shots will hurt, but Hearns looked like he could knock down walls with his.

In the same way there are similarities between James Toney and Floyd Mayweather inasmuch they both use the philly shell, but while Toney takes the centre of the ring and is relatively economical with his movement, other than the shoulder dip and roll, Mayweather makes it look almost like a different technique due to his speed of footwork and additional lateral moves.

So I guess similar, but different in both cases......If that makes sense!

Agreed. Difficult to pick between Froch and Kessler. I'd have suggested Kessler clearly before the Ward fight, but I dunno now. OK, if pushed I'd say still Kessler, but no idea how. I think that Ward is a real class act and the unexpected star of the tournament. I think he needed this to propel him into the wider public consciousness. I must admit before the Kessler fight I'd not seen much of him at all, but I was very impressed. I think he might win it.

I would like to see Ward against someone like (say) Pavlik, when he moves up.

I'm amazed that I had not heard of Ward or Dirrell but they're both such outstanding boxers.

Good for them both that they got a look in to the tournament and yeah it's exactly what they needed.

Currently Ward is the more 'go-getting' stylist but Dirrell will learn as he grows.

I hope kesslers confidence has not been knocked too much by the Ward contest, I suspect it was a big shock for him against someone he may not have known a lot about (assumption) and perhaps considered not a losing opportunity, more of a formality, before bigger/better things in the tournament.

I think Abraham faces Ward next (correct if wrong), if this IS the case then I fancy Abraham but have reservations on how slick a fighter he's dealt with previously. If Abraham faces Froch I for some unknown reason fancy Froch. Bizarre how I have just basically said that I fancy two men ! If someone overheard me down my local I might get a slap !!

Am I mistaken in thinking that as a general trend our UK boxers just don't have that 'cute' style way of boxing as demonstrated by the US boxers, i know it may seem like a massive generalisation but I guess what reminded me ofthis view I've been fermenting was the recent super six tournament and super-middleweight where two (let's face it) pretty much unknown boxers showed-up the WBC champion (Froch) and the WBA champion (Kessler), these guys were (to me anyway) more like wild card selections and from (seemingly) nowhere staked a serious claim in the upper echelons ofthat division. Another example is Jermain Taylor, very cute, very effective, yeah he tires etc etc but his style is amazing.

We have had some great movers form these shores of course, but is there something in what I'm suspecting ? And if so could it simply be a numbers thing (more boxers in, say, US) combined with a style they seem to apply - perhaps based on a huge amateur boxing movement over there ?

Does any of this make sense ?

• 3 weeks later...

I think Roach is very clever, he understands styles and seems to make solid fight plans.

I don't think Clottey is a complex fighter to figure out, but what you do when you have figured him out is possibly only achievable to a small number of boxers (because Clottey IS good) and MP is one of them. I expect a MP win, but would not be surprised by Joshua knocking MP down on the way.

Khan v Malignaggi - I think it's Khan's speed which will win this if anything, when you're being peppered with so many accurate punches (as happens with Khan's combos) it's tough to react any other way than defend/move away. Therefore a successive series of punches may disorient and weaken Pauli for the KO (though having seen how he withstood Cotto's onslaught...) They say Malignaggi is not a 'puncher' but he doesn't need to be if Khan's chin IS weak does he ? I don't think Khan walks through Pauli though as Pauli is very slick and durable, stylistically my view is that Pauli is probably the most talented that Khan has faced and could drop Khan no problem, given that Pauli doesn't need a big punch.

So many factors....

woofmarkthedog Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pacquaio

>

> In 6 rounds

>

>

> W**F

There is no way that Pacquiao will stop Clottey. I still stand by my original prediction quoted below. I would not be surprised if Pacquiao finishes the fight with a rapidly closing eye or similar collateral damage. He will win, but it will not be easy or a good night's work.

My original quote - "I think that Pacqiuao will struggle to look good whilst beating him. And whilst I do expect Manny to win, I would not be surprised if the proposed superfight was scuppered by an upset."

Khan Vs Malingaggi will be a good fight. I can see Paulie's movement and skill making Khan look stupid or at least frustrating him for a bit, but Freddie Roach will have prepared for this, and I think will have told Amir not to waste too much effort trying to hunt him down. Contain him, keep his space to a minimum and make him move, because he doesn't have the power to keep you off for twelve rounds would be my advice.

I see Khan being behind after 3-4 rounds, but taking over and winning my a decent margin in the end - if not stopping him late on. Fundamentally, you need power to discourage people and Paulie suffers badly in that respect.

Tough win for Pacquaio in the end. You called it right Acid. One of the things I observed was that apparently Pacman had an entourage of 100. This sounds a bit like the kind of thing that proved to be the downfall for Tyson. I know Manny likes to be generous to people but they are probably all hangers on who will do nothing for him. When Tyson first burst onto the scene he'd arrive ringside with just his trainer and cuts man. He was totally focused on what he had to do and there were no frills. He was unbeatable at this time. Manny should take note.

I don't think Manny is as desperate for the attention and the 'need' to feel 'wanted' as Tyson was.

MP is well-grounded (barring his infidelity, which really surprised me) so I don't think he'll slip in the same way.

He's showing no signs of being distracted and, with one or maybe two fights left, it's unlikely now.

I've read that MP may 'slot in' another fight before he (if he) fights the winner of Mayweather/Mosley and that potentially could be Valero. I doubt it would be Valero TBH as I am not convinced he's got the profile or credentials. Also I think he's nowhere near ready for MP yet !

Good news that Kevin Mitchell has a shot at a world title against Katsidis (assuming Jaun Manuel Marquez DOES vacate), the way he despatched Mendoza was impressive and hopefully a portent of things to come.

I'm not sure it was a "tough" win for the pac-man. He must have won pretty much every round. But Clottey was so negative and defensive, I don't think anyone could have looked good against him.

I think Manny is a bit of an attention seeker though. I think his pop career and movie roles (and maybe even his political ambitions?) are part of a need to feel adored.

I think MP is making the most of the options available to him (in his eyes) and if he likes singing and acting - fair play, after all, he cannot box for ever, so I'd see it more of a strategy towards betterment and furthering his earnings rather than attention seeking and self-dwelling.

I mean, I'd be surprised if he went into sales or pharmaceuticals, you know.

He also has that drive to be a local politician for his region, something which only a few years ago would have been unthinkable.

Fair play to him I wish him all the best.

The guy allegedly had a tough childhood so is probably fully appreciative of the options open to him when they arise.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not sure it was a "tough" win for the pac-man.

> He must have won pretty much every round. But

> Clottey was so negative and defensive, I don't

> think anyone could have looked good against him.

>

> I think Manny is a bit of an attention seeker

> though. I think his pop career and movie roles

> (and maybe even his political ambitions?) are part

> of a need to feel adored.

I'd say it was a tough win for a variety of reasons - one being that Clottey WAS so negative. That said, he did begin to inflict enough damage to have Pacquiao's eye at risk of closing. You can have a shut out, but it can still be a tough fight if the guy lands enough to make things uncomfortable.

When was the last time we say Pac with such facial damage? Erik Morales 1 I think. I don't see it as easy a night's work as some would think.

If Pacquiao is after adulaton as a pop star he's sure failed in the USA:

Pacquiao concert sales so low that post-fight concert is cancelled...

"Just 603 tickets had been sold for the world's finest boxer's planned concert in Waikiki on Sunday when promoters decided to pull the plug on the show.

It's a bit of a come-down for WBO welterweight champion Pacquiao, after 45,000 fans watched him defend his title in Dallas on Saturday.

"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching it tomorrow..

Not sure about Ruiz, it's almost as though he doesn't seem up for it. All properly prepared I'm sure but it's not often you see a fighter missing an opportunity to say he'll win.

Like you I fear it will be boring but.... you never know.