Hoopers beer

snorky

I too live on the road and like the pub and Jamie. I?m surprised so many people care about the name, at least it sounds like a pub name. The beer is good but some of the bottled beers are way too expensive. If only more people frequented the pub then Jamie could reduce his margins or how about this for an idea; reduce margins and increase custom?

Sorry to knock the food as well Jamie but there?s too much better local competition. You need a point of difference to attract larger numbers of people. Maybe the type of food? Maybe dramatically reduce prices? What genre is currently not provided for in the East Dulwich area (including Peckham and Camberwell for you ?Post Code Idiots?)? For a short while before The Duke in Nunhead was called Page Two they served great Pizza?s. Admittedly like all other aspects of the pub it all went tits up.

I fear for the future on Hoopers. I wish it well and will continue to support it by forcing ever more beer down my throat to support a local community service.

I like the draft beer there a lot - have to disagree with Jah as I think the wine list is dire, very safe and uninteresting, and not too impressed with the menu either. However when there are a few people in there the vibe is good and the staff great.

I'm pretty disappointed with wine lists in the area on the whole to be honest, that's if you want anything a bit different from the usual. The Gowlett/Nun's Head does an excellent Austrian white and I like the fact that all their wines are organic.

The best wine list (in my opinion) is Baburs (not SE22 I know), which runs to several pages, many of them are very reasonable and the choice is wide.

The Herne/Palmeston used to do a Chapel Down but sadly stopped doing through lack of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoopers is a strange one. We've just moved within spitting distance and I'd really love to love going there, they sell one of my favorite Belgians, it's local but somethings not right. On occasion the staff are friendly enough but the last time we went down the guy there was just downright rude and the Guiness was watery and weird. You'd think, considering we walk the dog past there most nights and it's mostly dead, that they'd be a bit more welcoming of new custom.

It's a big pub and unless it's full it feels like drinking in a morgue.

It could do with a Pool table or something. I've spent a lot of money over the years in the Wishing Well as it was the only place round here you could have a decent game of pool.

I'll give it a few more tries but I think my energy and money would be better spent in the Gowlett, convincing them to stock Liefmans.

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Isn't the beer good in Hoopers though?

>

> It really is.

Er - not the Brains that is on at ?1.99 a pint, I know that 3.7 is not a strong beer but this is dreadful, not the O2 or OZ which was like a rather tasteless pale ale. Previously I've been impressed - this time - NOT.

EvilLaugh Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's a big pub and unless it's full it feels like

> drinking in a morgue.

>

>> xxxxx

Hey come down to Hoopers on Friday night 30th Jan, we've got the wonderful Wizz Jones and Simeon Jones, it'll be brilliant, definitely not morgue-like!! :)