stress....

Your post really struck a cord with me - my Dad was in and out of hospital through all my teenage years with mental health issues. That became normal, and at the same time I gave myself a hard time for being unable to cope with other things that other people didn't seem to struggle with. I think when an extremely stressful long-term situation becomes your family's version of "normal", you learn to minimise the impact it's having on you because you just have to in order to cope at the time. And it then surfaces in physical ways instead because all the negative emotions have to come out somehow, eventually. It sounds like it's time for you to start being kinder towards yourself and acknowledge all the ordeals and trauma you have had to cope with as a child and what extraordinary demands that has put on you over the years. I would like to give you a hug.

Thank you so much to each and everyone of you kind souls who have taken a moment out of your lives to advise a stranger. This forum is extraordinary in that way.

I have just been discharged after a bilateral arthroscopy of the jaw -ouch. Consultant isn't overly optimistic as the joints have degenerated badly but only time will tell what impact the surgery will have.

The upside to all of this is a week off work which I can now spend exploring some of the avenues that you have all so kindly suggested (washing can wait, right?). I am exploring further what other medical conditions that could cause some of this - again thank you for all your suggestions on this. I am also looking into the mindfulness courses, cbt and acupuncture. Cost is a factor at the moment, but I will do what I can.

So many of you have been so spot on in your observations of my situation and that alone has really opened my eyes. Thank you also - to all of you who have sent me PM's sharing your own stories so generously. I would never have guessed when walking up and down lordship lane that amongst the immaculately presented and ever smiling faces I see,there are women and mums just like me, teeth grinders, insomniacs and fellow stress heads.

Thanks for all your insights, name suggestions and virtual hugs. It means an awful lot!

The right kind of directed exercise may help as much as CBT and cost no more. Chronic anxiety and depression are known to be eased by exercise and the right kind os exercise can also counterbalance the deletrious long-term effects of stress hormones on the organs, immune system etc, while boosting feel-good hormones as well as forcing the brain to focus on the here and now. It is easy to forget that we are biologically still animals and need physical conditioning and outlets for mental well being.

Look up Recovery Fitness, Leanne is a very decent and committed Personal Trainer.

• 3 weeks later...

CBT etc etc didn't help my chronic condition.

After suffering for a couple of decades I have found my cure.

30-40 mins of interval running 3 - 4 times a week which involves 16 sessions of walking for 1 min 30 seconds and then sprinting for 30 seconds repeated 16 times.

No need to exercise more than this unless you want to be an athlete.

Following some of the thought process / logic of Eckhart Tolle see youtube and his books.

Be open ....

I hope this helps sufferers heal their bodies and minds to live in the peace of the "Present".