Family kitchen /living rooms dos and don'ts

If you have the same (or very similar) flooring inside and out - (or lay a deck in the same direction as the inside flooring if you go for wood) it will make the spaces look more joined up. Bear in mind though that over time the colours will end up being different as the sun tends to fade the outside.

We have a side return extension with a glass roof (not skylights) - its beautiful, but the one thing I wish we'd don't differently is install some lighting on that side of the room. Its great in the daytime, but can be a little dark when there is no natural light

The Americans have gone some way towards solving the tupperware issue with these: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=FoodStorage&Prod_ID=RP091258&Redirect=1

It does mean a little investment, but the problem of opening a cupboard and having countless lids/pots fall out is much reduced.

I think you could probably get them on eBay or Amazon

We did a side return extension in our old house, and I pondered for ages on whether to make the back living area and kitchen one space or keep a knocked through larger reception room. In the end we went for the latter, and so just had a kitchen diner side return extension. It was quite tight but worked really well - we had a big storage wall with a TV that we liked having (as opposed to others views!). I've attached some photos from my friend who helped us with the drawings' web site - their are other schemes on his site with more generous spaces that might act as inspiration....http://www.russellhuntarchitects.co.uk/Silvester.pdf

On the actual kitchen, the best thing I did was not to go with standard heights - we made the work surfaces a little lower seeing as I'm a bit of a titch. Also the wall cupboards and oven were brought a few inches lower so that I wasn't constantly having to stretch up / could see things at eye level. Got to be careful it doesn't look like a dwarf's kitchen but a few inches makes a difference.

We also used IKEA's taller wall cupboards - lots of storage space!

Well the project is now officially underway and old kitchen has been ripped out. We are camping it out in the living room - ironically a better (temporary) kitchen that the actual kitchen ever was.

A very specific question re: kitchen islands. Yes? No? Do you love or hate them?

I am in two minds. I don't like the permanence of it but it makes sense in terms of maximising counter space etc. Photos very welcome.

It really depends on the shape of your room, I think. You want to make sure there is lots of clearance around it - you can read guidelines online for how much space you should retain for circulation around an island. Our room is more long and narrow than square so we've gone for more of a "peninsula" like the photo above, but still with double depth worktops. Can't tell you if I like it or not yet because the bl%^dy project is still underway (4 months over and counting.....grrrrrr).

I would draw it out and ideally you'd have at least 1 m clear around all sides of the island, with potentially more like 1.2 m between the island and the other row of units if you want to have 2 cooks working at the same time (i.e. someone at the island and someone at the other row of units). Not sure if that makes sense! It can be so useful to mark out the space with chalk or tape, even outside on the grass, as it will give you an idea of what you'll end up with.

• 3 months later...

Sb that cupboard is so beautiful I might cry.

Also on the what not to do question, having recently been invaded by mice, I would add to make sure the kitchen fitters don't leave handy gaps between floorboards and skirting / around pipes & wires etc for mice to use as super-highways, and then hide them behind fitted cupboards to make it impossible the block the holes! I spent a few fun evenings lying on my stomach on the kitchen floor stuffing wire wool and grip fill into various gaps hidden behind the kick boards that could easily have been sealed when the kitchen was fitted if they had done a good job. I would also never have a dark colour kitchen counter again, ours is almost black, and carefully examining it from various angles each morning for a while to check for new mouse droppings was not a fun experience....

• 1 year later...