Rebuilding sash windows

MissKing

Hi all,

At some stage in the past the original windows of my house have been removed and replaced with non-sash modern things. I think the whole bay has been totally rebuilt as the window sills are higher and the shape does not match my neighbours.

I want to get this knocked out and rebuilt as the original window would have been. Has anyone has any experience of doing this to their property? I'm guessing it won't be a cheap job, as as well as the bay window being rebuilt I'll need new sash windows made! Any anecdotes / recommendations for tradespeople gratefully received.

there,s plenty of firms out there who'll offer you a quote for making them. Google it!!

From my perspective as a decorator my advice would be to specify a hard pine and you provide the primer - Sandtex primer or Rubbol AZ. Ask them mix the primer with 20% white spirit and some dryers and prime the putty lines. It'll dry pretty quick then.

When your painter paints them specify Rubbol AZ paints or Sandtex. The Dulux exterior paint system is not as good as the Sandtex one and it's more expensive

Acryilic primers start to fail in two years. They are useless on the outside. So if you want to waste money on decorating them again and again. Let your decorator use acrylic primers.

Good Luck,

Matthew

Hi Matthew thank you for the tips! I've found plenty of companies who remake the windows, but can't find much about the actual original bay (casements maybe?) being rebuilt to match an original window. The stone mouldings etc. I will get a few companies to come and give me a quote for sure, but thought hearing about other people's experience would be useful :)

Mike Bester of Dulwich Sash Windows replaced all our single glazed aluminium framed windows and restored them with double glazed wooden sliding sash windows.

He did an excellent job and price wise was the most competitive. I recommended him to a friend recently who was also very happy with his work.

I don't have his number to hand but you'll find his info easily if you google the company name.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We at French and Sashey repair and replace Timber Windows and Doors. We Draughtproof sash windows, casement windows, front doors and french doors plus also offer painting as a separate service. We have a mobile workshop and apart from being fitted with onboard generator and solar panels, we make direct replacements on-site from within it as needed.

https://www.facebook.com/frenchandsasheywindows

www.frenchandsashey.co.uk

FREE QUOTES

Archived